What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Wheel Bearing Query - Ford Fiesta - Steveo4869
Can anyone tell me what tools I need to change the wheel bearings on a ford fiesta mk3 1991 and is it within the scope of a confident DIYer? Any advise much appriciate.
Many Thanks
Steveo
Wheel Bearing Query - Peter D
If its a rear then a pair of pliers a socket for the nut and a drift and hammer to remove the bearing from the hub/drum easy. A front is a different story, caliper off, disk off, even strut out and a press may be required. Does'nt your manual for the car tell you. Don't tell me you have'nt got one. Regards

Peter
Wheel Bearing Query - sierraman
For the front the hub comes off the bottom of the strut,breaker bar and length of scaffolding tube needed for the hub nut.Use a block of wood and a big hammer to knock the driveshaft through(to protect the thread),unless you have the proper tool,a copper hide hammer.Also preferable to torque the nut when reassembling.
Wheel Bearing Query - Claude
If you replace the rear bearing its a good idea to replace the drum as well.
Wheel Bearing Query - Steveo4869
Yes I have got a Haynes Manual and very good it is too!!!! Just get a bit confused on the diagram and instructions for wheel bearing removal. I have removed the hub before for track arm and strut replacement and am not concerned with this just unsure about how to drive the bearing out of the hub and then back in again correctly.
Steveo
Wheel Bearing Query - bikemade3
That'll be a haynes manual then: read and add confusion.
Wheel Bearing Query - mjm
Generally, fixed race type bearings need to be pushed/pressed into a housing by the outer race, ie the one which is contact with the housing. They need to be pushed/pressed onto a shaft by the inner race. This is to avoid the force being applied going through the actual balls/rollers.
It pays to make sure that the housing/shaft is perfectly clean and free from all burrs/debris. It is also important to ensure that the bearing is started into the housing dead square, any "tilt" will cause it to dig in and jam. The "kindest" way to fit is with either a bespoke puller or a press. Depending on the size of the housing it is sometimes possible to fit it in a vice, but you have to be carefull that the inner part does not protrude further than the outer or you will push on that and damage the bearing.
However you fit it, make sure that the seals don't get damaged or it won't last long.

Hope this helps.