What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Insurance certificate error - In Theory
When I ordered my new car last month, the dealer gave me an order form with the vehicle registration number on it, so I could arrange insurance. Using that information, I duly arranged my insurance, picked up the car about two weeks later and merrily motored away. Yesterday, two weeks after collecting the vehicle, I noticed that the car registration was actually different from what I thought it was (one letter is different). Lo and behold, the dealer gave me the wrong info, so I had given the wrong info to the AA. A new insurance certificate is now in the post, but at a cost of £25 to me. Who is responsible (or more responsible) for this, me or the dealer who provided the incorrect info? Second question, if I had tried to make an insurance claim, could that kind of minor error have invalidated my policy? It?s only £25 plus some annoyance, but my mind ponders.
Insurance certificate error - martint123
I'd go for the dealer to pay the charge as he supplied you with the wrong vehicle!.

It is not a minor error, you were not covered for that vehicle. You could well find out they wouldn't pay out.

I'm suprised you were able to tax it - or has the tax disc got the wrong number as well??.

Martin
Insurance certificate error - Dynamic Dave
With regard to your first question, As the dealer gave you an order form with it written on, then I would say that it was there fault.

I would contact the dealer and see what they say. After all, you have it in writing what the registration number was going to be and it doesn't match the number subsequently supplied.

As to question 2 ::shrugs shoulders::
Insurance certificate error - blue_haddock
As to the taxation point the dealer will probably have taxed it in house so the insurance certificate will have only had a quick glance by an administrator who like you thought it looked OK and taxed the vehicle
Hadn't even thought of checking the tax disk, but just did -- and it has the wrong reg! What do I do now?
Insurance certificate error - Chris75
Is it possible the reg on the car has been printed wrong?

Do you have the reg documents?
With all the documents wrong it would be cheaper to get a new numberplate!!

Ask the dealer to do an HPI check on the vehicle and check the reg and VIN numbers - they may had fitted the wrong plates to the vehicle.

I once had a company car with the wrong number etched on the windows. After a trip to the plod shop I found the numbers on the windows were OK, the dealer had put the wrong plates on it.

Martin
Looks like this is what happened to me. Just spoke to the dealer, who said reg plates had been printed wrong. Which means I have to phone the AA again to change my insurance certificate -- which will cost another £25.
Insurance certificate error - ProtonGuy
You are being ripped off anyway. £25 for printing a piece of paper!!! I wish we could get away with that. We would print them all day long.

Find a proper firm who will be doing you a service instead of using you as a money machine.
Insurance certificate error - Alfafan {P}
If the dealer mucked up the plates, get the £25 (or £50) from him.
It's a bit more than printing a bit of paper - it is cancelling and writing a new policy I think if the registration number changes.
No it isn't.
Insurance certificate error - Dynamic Dave
No it isn't.

So, do you think administration charges should be free then?

How is that going to pay for someone's time to edit the details, print out a new certificate, and then post it to the client?
Well that's strange because that's what we have been doing for the last 30 years. It's called customer service. These days it takes a couple of clicks on a computer in our office to print a piece of paper and 20 odd pence to post it.

Not £25.

That's why it was a rip off. Don't fall for the admin excuses. The whole industry revolves around admin and is geared up for it. So remember this when you get your next quote. A few admin charges can suddenly make for a very expensive policy.
Insurance certificate error - Big Bad Dave
Proton Guy, When I posted an opinion similar to yours a few months ago, I got shouted down by everyone else. You will not convince the backroom that admin charges are a rip off, in fact they?ll go to some lengths to justify them. There is something so firmly cemented in the British mindset that they we almost look forward to paying them. He might drag himself all over town to save a few pence by filling up on grotty supermarket fuel but he?ll happily pee it all away by paying these extortionate fees.

I know what a Frenchman would say "I speet on your charge d?adminstracion!" And I know what a German would say "Das administration charge kan sie auf meine arskraken gerschlippen"

Imagine you were about to pay your gas, water, telephone and electricity bill and I knocked at the door offering to save you all the hassle by writing out 4 cheques, addressing 4 envelopes and licking 4 stamps for a small charge of £100 would you let me in or punch me in the face?