What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Life cycle for the Ford Ka - Imagos
Anyone know what Fords plans for the Ka are?

Will the baby of their range soldier on for ever in the style of a 2cv or the Mini or is an all new car planned.

With the design almost 10 years old now with little development and (probably) quite profitable why change a sucessful niche product? If it aint broke why fix it (cliche)

i suspect that it is a major dilema for the product planners on what to do with it in the next few years.

Life cycle for the Ford Ka - daveyjp
Autoexpress ran a story months ago about a possible replacement in 2006/7. Same basic shape as a Fiesta, but smaller!
Life cycle for the Ford Ka - Blue {P}
Yep, I've heard that they're gonna strip it of it's individuality and make it look like every other car in the range.

The Ka isn't actually very profitable for Ford though, it's low price is subsidised by sales of better models, in fact, Ford nearly pulled the plug on Ka altogether not that long ago.

I reckon they should just leave it to soldier on for a while yet though, they still sell by the bucketload so why try to fix it.

Blue
Life cycle for the Ford Ka - mfarrow
At its launch it was credited for having so few parts in assembly, and I doubt Ford have got any other cars which consume so little production time in their range.

Just think of the R&D costs they're saving keeping it going in its current design! OK so individual parts may be reviewed and updated from time to time (i.e. the engine!) but as long as it drives good and looks good there's no point in changing it. Maybe a cable-driven gearchange mechanism in like with other models wouldn't go amiss as a slight mod.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, but preventative maintenance is essential to longevity.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Life cycle for the Ford Ka - frazerjp
As a Ford Ka owner i cant see why they should change the design, its unique design is like what a city car should be, i cannot see why it should change, it has a huge following so im sure everybody else who has one would agree with me?!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Life cycle for the Ford Ka - Sofa Spud
Perhaps it will go on until the tooling wears out or nobody buys Ka's any more.

cheers, SS
Life cycle for the Ford Ka - doctorchris
A popular, mechanically simple, economical to run car. Yep, a sure bet it will be replaced by something only a dealer with a degree in astrophysics will be able to maintain.
Life cycle for the Ford Ka - No Do$h
In a forum full of cynicism you win the prize DC. Not to say that you are wrong, of course. :o)
Life cycle for the Ford Ka - frazerjp
I agree with you doc! It may come to a time where you need the dealer to change the wipers or even cover up the whole engine like they do on the Porsche Boxster which only the main dealer can open!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)