What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - MuttleyMcLad
My Pug 306 diesel has been sold, As I've bought a New Ford Ka, (not pre-registered) brand new from my local Ford dealer (I shoud collect it Wednesday), Its only the base model (PAS & ABS), but its more than my 306 had.
Are there any Ka owners (Past or present) who can offer any comments on Ka ownership. Insurance group 2 was one of the main attractions!!

Thanks in advance

Rich
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - Ex-Moderator
Not a Ka owner, nor likely to be, but you should enjoy the newness of it all. It might not be the smartest financial decision in the world, but there is something very enjoyable about being the first owner and user of a car.

Although I do have to say that I really start enjoying my cars AFTER the first scratch; The tension up to that point is unbearable !!!

But enjoy it. Its yours to have fun with; and do ignore the killjoys who will explain how you should have bought a million year old banger for 37p achieving 2 furlongs per microfortnight on each tank of gas and been thankful.

And just bear in mind that you spent a lot of money on it; so don't thrash it within an inch of its life, beat it senseless from cold, fail to change its oil or wax its metal work [or any other of the 5,000 offences against car-dom that I am guilty of on a daily basis]. DO look after it and keep it nice, inside and out..

Congratulations.
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - MuttleyMcLad
I got a very good deal on it, thats why I bought it, I didnt go out to buy a Ka in particular, but went past the Ford dealership and saw them on the front for a very good price, They had used models (higher spec of course) costing more so I thought why not!
Im very strict aobut servicing and oik changes in particular and I dont thrash my cars, (well not from cold anyway! lol!) arent all Ka's duratec now, and not the old endura-e engine?!
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - AndrewMarc
i have a silver 98 ka and have had it for 5 months. its is my first car but it it brill to drive. it has been cheap to run and is doing 40mpg even with my v heavy foot. my only prob with thew car is it is a little bit girly but as i got it really cheap i dont care. enjoy

Andrew
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - BobbyG
Would agree with Mark, there is a certain "enjoyment" about finally getting the first scratches on a car. The stress levels thereafter drop dramatically...

Enjoy your car, remember as with any purchase, its not what anyone else thinks - its you who paid the money and if you are happy then thats all that counts.
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - DavidHM
2 furlongs per microfortnight is in fact 744,082 mph Mark.

If I can get a car for 37p that can do that (or even £370k) then I'd love to know where.
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - Obsolete
It's a decent little car, and handles very well. A bit noisy on the motorway though and its not easy to get into the back. But who cares about the passengers! I reckon that for small cars like this buying used is no cheaper if at all and you know its only had one careful owner: you. They seem to maintain their value very well, and Ford are doing some very good deals on new ones.

Leif
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - Manatee
I bought one of these (also a base model with PAS & ABS)6 years ago for my then 18 year old daughter to use. Nothing has gone wrong with it and eveybody likes driving it. Hasn't it gone OHC now? If so the new head has probably got rid of the stuck spark plug problem that afflicts these. We've always copper-greased the threads in the hope of avoiding trouble- it seems to have worked.
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - Avant
SWMBO and elder daughter have both had Kas - we all loved them. They take a bit of running in but after about 5,000 miles you'll feel how lively the little car is.

We found them quite relaxed on the motorway, more so than the Honda Jazz which is quite low-geared. Ours never went wrong either. I remember the feeling I often got when driving it, that if you didn't need much room for passengers or luggage, this is all you'd need. (In fact the rear seatbacks push down very easily and there's quite a lot of space for a car so short).

With a wheel at each corner the handling is brilliant. Great fun to drive, and I hope you enjoy it.
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - frazerjp
Good on ya mate, ive had mine for about 18 months now & i dont regret purchasing it one bit, just make sure you have it serviced on time as i think the spark plugs can still get stuck!!
Also make sure you check underneath the sill & wash that bit regulary as they can still suffer from the brown stuff, iv noticed mine has a spot round there & decided on buying a tin of waxoyl for good measure, apply at least twice a year!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - tyro
Good choice, Muttley. We've had ours about 20 months, and no regrets. Brilliant on back roads, and not at all bad on motorways. We consistently get about 45mpg. So far, no problems at all. We even had two er, largish, adults in the back seat and they assured us that it was roomy enough.
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - Pezzer
Muttley , as has already been said. It doesnt matter what anybody else thinks. Enjoy........ it strikes me that there is alot in common with the original mini the way most people talk affectionately about their Kas.

PS Is it pronounced K.A. or Kah ?
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - Avant
Ford and their dealers csall it the K.A. - mere mortals usually the Kah. A bit like Farbia (Skoda dealers) and Fabia as in fabulous (the rest of us).
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - Adam {P}
The next person to call it a K.A (kay ay) in front of me is likely to get a punch. (Those on here can get a virtual punch).

Is there a . in between the letters on the badge? No. Do you feel like an idiot saying K. A.? Yes. It's a Kah. I don't care if I'm only a mortal. Kah kah kah.

I think I'll go and take the eff oh sea you ess out for a spin.

I mean...come on...

--
Adam
Muttley , as has already been said. It doesnt matter what
anybody else thinks. Enjoy........ it strikes me that there is alot
in common with the original mini the way most people talk
affectionately about their Kas.
PS Is it pronounced K.A. or Kah ?

I once rang Ford for a service.

Him: "What car have you got Sir?"
Me: "A Ford Kah".
Him: "Yes what car Sir".
Me: "A Ford Kah"
Me: "Errmmm ... a K.A."
Him: "Ahhh ... when would you like it serviced Sir?"

So I guess it is K.A.

I have the old model and used to regularly get 48 mpg on long journeys, but now after 3 years and 45K miles I find it hard to get 43mpg. I guess it must be wearing. In year two I took it up to 115 mph (on the clock, probably more like 110mph), but now struggle to get it up to 95 mph which is the official top speed.

Leif
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - David Horn
I make two furlongs per microfortnight to be 744mph...

Milli = 10^-3
Micro = 10^-6
Nano = 10^-9.
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - DavidHM
Yup, me too.... converting m/s into km/s without thinking about it.
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - MichaelR
Cannot say I will ever understand the logic of spending over five thousand pounds on a car with windup windows, an ancient 1.3 litre pushrod engine and no air conditioning just becuase its 'new' (Well, it could have been standing in a field for a year or two) and has the latest plate, but if it makes you happy, why not?

Enjoy it :)
On a secondary note, perhaps somebody could explain the important of insurance groups to me? I've never been one who has really cared - at 18 I had a Group 9 car - but I don't understand why people would buy a new car - thus signalling that they do not mind loosing a signicant amount of money in depreciation, but then say a motivating factor in their decision was low insurance.

Even at my young age the difference between Group 9 and 12 was just 100 quid - so I cannot see the difference between Group 2 and, say, Group 5 being enough to write home about, let alone base the purchasing decision of a brand new car on.

I'm not criticising - I am genuinelly interested. Several of my friends have done the same thing - one spent £5k on a Fiesta 1.25 becuase the insurance was 3 groups cheaper than the £4k Focus he preffered - the saving a year must have been 100 quid at most. Then there are the people who will base what car they buy on the road tax band - I've heard people before now say they chose a 1.4 becuase it's cheaper to tax. I mean thats 50 quid a year - a drop in the ocean compared to the purchase price of a new car.
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - andyconda
It all depends on where you live, MichaelR.

I live in fairly decent part of London, but insurance on my 2001/Y Fiesta 1.25 is £500+ per year. I'm 28 with a full NCB and I have never made a claim or committed any motoring offences or had an accident in my life.

I can easily imagaine that 17 and 18 year olds living in higher risk areas would be quoted well over a grand for insurance on even modestly rated group 2 or 3 cars. The potential savings to be made by having a lower insurance group are considerably more than a hundred quid for these drivers.

Similarly, the "1 year free insurance" deals that are often thrown in with new Kas, C2s, Puntos etc are worth an awful lot to young drivers (sometimes there is an exclusion on very young drivers) and these go a long way towards offsetting the heavy initial cost of depreciation.

My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - NowWheels
It all depends on where you live, MichaelR.

I think that Andyconda is probably right.

Michael, I think from your previous posts it sounds like you live in an outer-suburban or semi-rural area -- probably very low-risk. I think you'd find a very different story if you lived in a run-down inner city area with high crime levels and lots of young male drivers aspiring to tarted-up Novas.

I discovered this with a friend: single woman, aged mid-40s, clean licence for 25 years. Her insurance quotes in an inner-city area with a bad reputation are double what they'd be in my outer-suburban street, 5 miles away -- sufficient to deter her from getting any car. If she was young and male, I dread to think what they'd quote her, and we wonder how many of the cars around her way are actually insured.
I had not considered the issue of how much where you live can affect premiums. I do live in a reasonably low risk area - it was £1200 to insure my Group 12 2.0 16v Mondeo at 19 with no NCB, which whilst it doesn't seem any more than friends paid for their cars I've no idea on the risk rating of their address.
Cannot say I will ever understand the logic of spending over
five thousand pounds on a car with windup windows, an ancient
1.3 litre pushrod engine and no air conditioning just becuase its
'new' (Well, it could have been standing in a field for
a year or two) and has the latest plate, but if
it makes you happy, why not?

Recently Ford sent me an offer of a new Ka for about £4800. That is IMO better value than a used Ka if you take into account servicing costs and wear and tear. It can be hard to find a 1 year old one at that price. Bear in mind that you get 3 years cover for unusual repairs (well over £1000 in my case so well worth it), and other items such as tyres, brakes, etc are new.

Used Kas maintain their value well so are not such good value IMO. (This is based on looking at prices in the local free car advertiser magazine.)

Of course if you find a used one cheap from a known source (careful relative) then that might well be a better deal.

Leif
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - mfarrow
1.3 litre pushrod engine and no air conditioning just

KAs after late 2002 have a new engine with no pushrods just an 8v SOHC which is still chain driven.

I realise HJ's CBC-breakdown says the new engine uses the same block. It doesn't. I haven't seen the new engine up close and personal but looking at it on the Ford TIS CD the new one has a completely different block layout, much similar to their "newer" engine designs, even the CVH. Only thing the same is the sump and a few minor components.

--------------
Mike Farrow
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - Blue {P}

Ordinarily I would agree with you, however, base model Kas seem to defy the laws of car buying logic. The used ones are generally over-priced when compared to the cost of a brand new one, and they normally come with all of the old owner's parking scrapes. Also, as this one has ABS that would make it a later 2004 model year vehicle at the oldest, it definately won't have sat around for years. If I was buying simple and base model then I don't think it can be beaten.

Enjoy it, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with her!

Blue
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - Manatee

On a list of money-wasting buys, I can think of far worse purchases than a new Ka at £5,000. Second hand in this category are not cheap unless old/battered and a saving of a thousand or two when somebody else has had the best out of the car is poor value IMO.

Nothing wrong with wind-up windows and pushrods either (I think the current model is OHC anyway), at the right price. The base model is often the best value - the only way to win the game with the manufacturers, who put "added value" features on higher spec models at very low cost with a serious price attached. I'd rather have a base model at 5k than a mechanically identical "Luxury" Ka at 9k!

Good luck with the new Ka Rich - if you get 6 years+ out of yours as we have with our daughter's, I think that will amount to a good buying decision - enjoy it anyway!
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - tyro
>> PS Is it pronounced K.A. or Kah ?
>>
I once rang Ford for a service.
Him: "What car have you got Sir?"
Me: "A Ford Kah".
Me: "A Ford Kah"
Me: "Errmmm ... a K.A."
Him: "Ahhh ... when would you like it serviced Sir?"
So I guess it is K.A.

Why, I often wonder, did Ford choose to give this vehicle a name that would be so confusing? I'm sure that timid souls fear to attempt to pronounce it, lest they get it wrong or be misunderstood. I reckon that Ford would have sold thousands more if they hadn't settled on such a silly name.
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - carl233
Take a look at the car breakdown info, as rust is an issue to consider. I know of a KA that is under three years old and has corrosion around the door edges. This vehicle in question has never had any accidents or paintwork.

The rust is coming from the inside out so this rules out any stone chip as the cause. In conclusion it is a nice car to drive but the build quality is perhaps the worst on any production car available in the UK.

It is a shame that Ford have not galvanised the bodywork.

My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - cheddar
In conclusion it is a nice car to drive but the build quality is perhaps the worst on any production car available in the UK.

Reckon that is a bit OTT, Ford are doing well in customer satisfaction surveys, the KA is not adversly effecting them in that regard nor does it have any common faults, it is though a great little car to drive.
It is a shame that Ford have not galvanised the bodywork.

It is true that early ones were not galvanised though IIRC later ones are.
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - ProtonGuy
If anyones interested, when the car was first launched I remember reading that it is pronounced "Kah" and means 'spirit'.

Further....

www.si.umich.edu/CHICO/mummy/Afterlife/Spirit/ba.h...l
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - Altea Ego
KAH - its a blooming KAH - people who call it K A are el stupido's, If it was K A they would both be capitals.

Its pronounced with a distinkt cut off K at the front with the AH having a rising inflection and also cut off, with no trace of the Rolling R you get in C A R

And is it called a Street Kay Ay or a Sport Kay Ay not is not and sounds stupid and daft if you say it like that, its Street KAH or Sport KAH

Humph
>>And is it called a Street Kay Ay or a Sport Kay Ay not is not and sounds stupid and daft if you say it like that, its Street KAH or Sport KAH

I don't understand what you just said and you're beginning to scare me.
www.ford.co.uk/ie/streetka/-/-

www.ford.co.uk/ie/ka/ka_overview/sptka/-/-/-/-
Is my post invisible? ;)
Oh come on, the suggestion you drive a proton means you have to be! ;)
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - school boy
Maybe I'll be called Skoda Boy?
RF - Read what you wrote. Say it out loud. Then tell me what you meant to say.
so there is a superfluous T? on one of the "nots"

Now tell me Ford intended those to be called Street "K A" or Sport "K A"
still just that little bit slow, huh ?
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - Pezzer
I was only asking................
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - school boy
Which engine does it have?
My 1st Brand NEW car! Ka any comments? - Bagpuss
My wife went out and bought one of these, against my advice, because she liked the styling (I had recommended a Polo). Three years later and, contrary to my expectations, nothing has fallen off it or gone wrong so I can't "say I told you so" and she still likes it. I'm not a big fan of the styling but have to admit that it does actually handle much better than I would ever have expected and its small size is useful here in Munich where parking space is at a premium. I find the biggest irritation is the tiny door mirrors - I don't know why manufacturers fit small cars with small mirrors as it makes city centre driving a bit of a lottery when you're competing with cars, motor bikes, cyclists, pedestrians and trams for the same roadspace.