What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Astra 1.7 TD estate (98 S) - Delboy786
Hello Folks

I am a new user so please be gentle!

I have a Astra 1.7 TD estate (98 S) which when driving is pulling to the offside (to the right).

I thought it was the tracking and so took it to a garage who tracked it and when I asked them if it was out they said oh yes by miles. (like they always do!) I thought well ok at least that should fix the problem.

However when I came to drive my car it was still pulling to the right. So I took it back to the garage they re-checked it and said the tracking was OK. But unfortunately it still has the problem.

I went to a different garage who recommend I change my tyres around. Swap front two with back two tyres ?I did but to no luck.

I am afraid if I take it to which ever garage they all seem to say the tracking is always out and therefore always want to track it even if its ok. Which does not seem to solve my problem.

Any ideas what it maybe anyone please. All comments gratefully received.

Delboy786
Astra 1.7 TD estate (98 S) - Civic8
Sounds like a sticking caliper.Have you had the front brakes checked out?
--
Steve
Astra 1.7 TD estate (98 S) - Delboy786
No not checked brakes. They do sound OK and I had them changed a year ago.

Thanks

Delboy786

8< Puerile signature snipped 8<
Astra 1.7 TD estate (98 S) - stevieb
Possibly a completely wild shot, but you didn't mention when changing the tyres if you noted the direction. I had a similar problem, tracking always out - instantly fixed when tyres replaced on the rims correctly. I was told (so don't flame me!)the effect can be more pronounced by the way they are stored after production, i.e. stacked horizontally.

The next recommendation if the above hadn't fixed it was a suspension geometry check at the dealership.

Astra 1.7 TD estate (98 S) - Dynamic Dave
Delboy786,

Enough of the silly signatures at the end of your notes, if you please.

DD. BR Moderator.

Astra 1.7 TD estate (98 S) - Civic8
>>No not checked brakes. They do sound OK and I had them changed a year ago.

I would get them checked out again.Possibility is even stronger as the calipers havent been checked for a year?
--
Steve
Astra 1.7 TD estate (98 S) - wemyss
I would always make the tyres the biggest suspect in pulling to one side.
Putting the tracking right will not stop this happening as they have already worn in to a particular way which can?t be eliminated until they have been replaced.
You have tried changing back to front but have you tried from one side to the other and see if you get a pull the other way.
I had exactly the same thing and it wasn?t cured until the tyres were changed. The rear tyres at one time had been on the front and they were the same.