What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1998 Renault Laguna weird steering - debugslife
Here's one for my other car. Renault Laguna 1.6RT 1998 facelift model. Turn the steering full lock to the left, slight noise like broken spring, centre wheel and the car keeps pulling violently to the left. Turn the steering full lock to the right, slight noise like broken spring, centre wheel and keeps pulling violently to the right. Mental! I can't see anything wrong with it other than a split cv boot. I can't imagine that would even affect the steering geometry at all let alone enough to cause the type of pulling that I am encountering. Anybody had anything like this before? I was sure it was a broken spring/s but I can't see it.
1998 Renault Laguna weird steering - mjm
I've had nothing like it. I don't think it's a spring, the spring usually turns with the strut. It may be the strut top mount/bearing collapsing, or collapsed. This could cause the top of the strut to "stick" due to friction, and the spring could be being "wound up" by you turning the wheel. As it moved under pressure it may be giving the sound you describe. Either side, or both, may be the culpret.
Have you a trolley jack to get both front wheels off the ground together? This will unload the top bearings/mounts and give you a better idea. PLEASE do it carefully, don't put yourself, or helpers in any risky situations. Cars are heavy, and have no feelings!
Hope this helps.
1998 Renault Laguna weird steering - Aprilia
It will be the strut bearing siezed/sticking - I have come across this before on Renaults.
1998 Renault Laguna weird steering - debugslife
Thanks for the help. I have heard about the top mounting/bearing problem and how little it actually moves when the 'noise' happens, and therefore how hard it is to see it. I wasn't sure if that problem caused the weird alignment symptoms that I am experiencing. The weird thing about it is that the steering seems to be as solid as a rock once the initial jump has occurred. There doesn't seem to be any wandering etc. just the pulling to either side. I have a trolley jack and will get somebody to keep turning the steering wheel back and forth and inspect the whole thing.
1998 Renault Laguna weird steering - doade
Best way to see what side is causing the problem is to put the front end up on axle stands. Then move the wheel from left to right and watch the base of the spring to see if it judders. It will most likely be the bearing between strut and spring saddle.
1998 Renault Laguna weird steering - shelly

Hi, I have the same problem with my Laguna. I had problem with my front left wheel bearing and after replacing it. I have same problem as you have mentioned with full lock steering. I just want to ask you did you find the solution. If yes what was the problem.

Thanks

Shelly