Mondeo St 155 tdci or 130 zetec S - midlifecrisis
Just been offered £9000 for my ZT. Difficult to let it go but I need a hatch. Very keen on a ST Tdci, but dealers don't want to deal and the cheapest broker I've seen is £16495 (possibly pre-reg). I've also seen a four month old Zetec S 130 tdci for £11995. Is the ST with 155bhp worth the extra over the 'S'. It's looks more attractive and has a better spec, but is it substantially better to drive?
Mondeo St 155 tdci or 130 zetec S - trancer
I prefer the looks of the ST over the Zetec S (haven't driven either), but not enough to warrant paying near enough £5K extra for one. For a smaller price premium a performance blue ST would be hard to pass up. The power difference between the two cars can be negated by spending just £400 of that £5,000 savings on a chip/ECU re-map.
Mondeo St 155 tdci or 130 zetec S - Pugugly {P}
Just specced one up on the Ford site. £26k - Blimey I'd get an E90 for that ! (and then some)
Exactly. Test drove the ST and it was very nice and felt solid. Unfortunately the dealer only discounted the £22000 list price by £1800. Wasn't the slightest bit interested when I showed him the internet prices. £20'000 for a mondeo is way too much.
Mondeo St 155 tdci or 130 zetec S - cheddar
I reckon the Zetec S is the best looking Mondeo, more subtle than the ST, more sporty than all other variants, shame it is not available with the 2.2 however I am perfectly happy with the performance, economy, refinement of my Ghia X TDCi 130 so suggest the nearly new Zetec S is the better bet.

Regards.
Mondeo St 155 tdci or 130 zetec S - ihpj
Well there is the Titanium edition which I beleive has the same engine as the ST TDci - and is somewhat cheaper? Indeed the ride might be 'softer' and it might lack the 'muscle look' of the ST - but could you live with that if the engine and gearbox were the same?
Mondeo St 155 tdci or 130 zetec S - Adam {P}
At the end of the day MLC, you said it yourself. It's a Mondeo at the end of the day. I wouldn't be all that happy paying much over 16 for one. And even then it would have to be a Ghia X. The only one I'd pay loads for would be the ST220. But then you have to ask yourself, what else other than a Mondeo could you buy with that sort of money.

--
Adam
Mondeo St 155 tdci or 130 zetec S - Quinny100
I've got a TDCi 130 and I've had 2 test drives in ST TDCi's and very nice though it is, it hasn't tempted me enough to put my hand in my pocket and trade mine in - it would cost me about £9k to swap and I just didn't think it was worth so much extra.

The difference in performance is not all that great - a lot of the 130's kick out more than 140 and I've had mine on a dyno and got 145PS. The 2.2's seem to put out far closer to the stated power so the real world difference may be as low as 10bhp. If you go for a Zetec-S the looks aren't all that different either really.

The ST is a very smart looking car and at £16.5k new there's not a lot else on the new market that comes close in terms of performance, specification and looks, but for £5k over a Zetec-S I'm not sure its worth the extra, especially if you could find an ex-Ford Zetec-S with a few options on like the half leather seats and Xenon lamps - there are plenty knocking around.
Mondeo St 155 tdci or 130 zetec S - VTiredeyes
knocking around where?
Mondeo St 155 tdci or 130 zetec S - VTiredeyes
when are they changing the shape of the mondy?
Challenged a Ford salesman on this and he said all new model Jan 06.
Mondeo St 155 tdci or 130 zetec S - Buster Cambelt
I think that will be the C-Max type version with the new saloon / hatch / estate aong at the end of 2006 or begining of 2007.
when are they changing the shape of the mondy?

Reckon C-Max early/mid 2006, new hatch/saloon/estate approx 6 months later, probably for 2007 model year.
Mondeo St 155 tdci or 130 zetec S - Quinny100
knocking around where?

Ford dealers, car supermarkets (www.fow.co.uk), Ford direct etc.
The difference in performance is not all that great - a
lot of the 130's kick out more than 140 and I've
had mine on a dyno and got 145PS. The 2.2's
seem to put out far closer to the stated power so
the real world difference may be as low as 10bhp.
If you go for a Zetec-S the looks aren't all that
different either really.

2.0 130's seem to dyno at around 147-148, reckon the 2.2 155 must be around 165. However, yes the 130's are quite quick enough and have a slightly wider useable rev range.
Well there is the Titanium edition which I beleive has the
same engine as the ST TDci - and is somewhat cheaper?
Indeed the ride might be 'softer' and it might lack
the 'muscle look' of the ST - but could you live
with that if the engine and gearbox were the same?

Titanium costs more than the ST TDCi, has some of the Ghia x features, though not all, with ST styling.

I say again the Zetec S looks much better thatn the ST etc, more subltey sporty.
Mondeo St 155 tdci or 130 zetec S - ihpj
Titanium costs more than the ST TDCi, has some of the
Ghia x features, though not all, with ST styling.

It does? WoW! Sorry :P I thought ST was the most expensive and then the Ghia X / Titanium range. Oh well - shows what I know about Fords ;)

In that case - buy yourself a spanking nice BMW 330 Sport (diesel or petrol) and it'll be much better than the Mondeo. You could find a very nice one owner low mileage example privately and enjoy it more :)
Mondeo St 155 tdci or 130 zetec S - Alex147
You want to spend 20k on a Ford - you must be having a laugh..?
The cheapest ST Tdci I've seen so far is ex-fleet, 5000m, 54 plates for £15495. I certainly wouldn't spend £20000 on one, but now they're getting cheaper they are getting more attractive. Nearly new and very well speced against a four year old 40-50000m BMW 320.