What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Buying a small car - bobda
Hello!

We're currently looking at getting a small car, probably a Toyota Corolla (March 2004, 1.4 3dr T3) or Honda Civic (1.6 VTEC 3dr SE) to replace our ageing (but still hardy) Mk3 1.8 Cavalier.

We've seen a good Corolla at a Toyota dealer with 13000 miles on it, ex-Toyota owned, for £8995. I reckon that's a reasonable price, going by what parkers.co.uk has told me.

The Honda we have seen is a 1.6 SE July 2002 with 34000 miles on it, for £7995, which is a tad overpriced, apparently.

I've driven both (it's for my mum, and my sisters who are 18 and 16, so insurance cost is to be considered) and to be honest, I preferred the drive of the Corolla. It had a lot more torque throughout the range and was easier and more pleasant to drive than the higher capacity Civic.

Plus the car supermarket salesman selling the Civic was a prat, whereas the Toyota salesman was a nice guy and knew what he was talking about.

What do you all reckon??
Buying a small car - doctorchris
I'm sorry to be pedantic but Corollas and Civics are not small cars, they are medium-sized. Pandasand Picantos are small cars.
However, never buy a car from a prat unless he is such a prat that it is desperately under-priced.
On the other hand, if you want a small car that is cheap to insure and easy for teenage girls to drive Buy a Jazz. You'll even find it has as much space inside as the Civic.
Buying a small car - ajit
Looks like you answered the question yourself ! You liked the Toyota - the sales experience was good, you will need a good ongoing relationship during the cars lifecycle. The car supermarket willtake your cheque and say bye bye
Buying a small car - blue_haddock
Yep we're a pretty nice bunch us Toyota Salesmen!

If you like the car, the price (seems about right for what you describe) and the guy/place your buying it off then whats holding you back?

The only thing i would add is that for about £800 more you can buy a brand Corolla 1.4 3dr Colour Collection through a broker but there is a 6 week wait for them at the moment.

Buying a small car - John S
Bob

Before you buy either do check that insurance! The Toyota's something like group 6, and the Honda sa couple of groups higher. The first will be very expensive for an 18 year old to drive (probably too expensive), and the second probably uninsurable for someone of that age.

JS
Cheers for the replies.

Maybe I should have said small(er), as we already have a Volvo S60, my mum's Cavalier and my Alfa 145 (although my car is probably about the same size as the Corolla)

We've checked insurance stuff, and the Toyota is a group 3 car, The Honda is a group 6.

Maybe I have answered my own question, I think I was just looking for backup!! Who are the brokers selling the Colour Collection Corolla off for £800 more?

Another question was the alarm. The Corolla has deadlocks and an engine immobiliser, but no alarm system. Roughly how much is an aftermarket ultrasonic alarm upgrade system, which will arm when the car is locked using the original keyfob?
Buying a small car - blue_haddock
In no particular order

www.broker4cars.co.uk
www.car-brokers.net
www.ukcarbroker.co.uk
www.drivethedeal.co.uk
www.carfile.net

All of which can supply a brand new UK corolla colour collection for under £10k

Cheers for that.

We've bought the 04 car today.

£8500. Not too bad I reckon. Prefer one with an alarm, but I'm sure we can find and fit one which will work with the original keyfob.
Buying a small car - Truckosaurus
I'd not bother spending any more money on an alarm, with deadlocks and an immobilser the car is safe from everything but a smash'n'grab through the window to get small items inside the cabin, an alarm won't prevent or discourage an opportunist thief.
ok bob, I must get a more up to date copy of Parkers! The insurance groups they quote must be wrong. Mind you, you'd have had a heck of a premium on that Honda in group 6!

JS
Buying a small car - MichaelR
Bob
Before you buy either do check that insurance! The Toyota's
something like group 6, and the Honda sa couple of groups
higher. The first will be very expensive for an 18
year old to drive (probably too expensive), and the second probably
uninsurable for someone of that age.

Don't be daft. Uninsurable becuase its Group 8? Honestly, thats the most ridiculous thing I've seen all day. There is so much misinformation about insurance for young drivers.

My first car was Group 9 and I had no problems insuring that. I then insured a Group 12 at 19, and again, no problems. And I've never paid more than £1200 for insurance.
MR

Was that 3rd party of fully comp? I'm assuming bob will want fuly comp on relatively new cars, and that will be expensive.

JS
Buying a small car - NowWheels
And I've never paid more than £1200 for insurance

that's good news????
Buying a small car - Adam {P}
Michael,

I normally agree with a lot you say but you've made a pretty sweeping statement there mate which I must disagree with.

My current car, rough guess is group 8 or 9 (Focus) and I'm paying, TPFT, pretty much £1500 with 1 years NCB. My first car, a lowly Fiesta, God only knows the insurance group but I'm guessing considerably lower than the Focus, cost over 2 grand just third party only.

Yes it was the cheapest quote (I searched extensively for over a week).

As a final note, before we knew how much insurance would cost, we got offered a 1.6 Astra. No-one would insure me bar the ones that wanted a laughable amount of money. (Over 3 grand)

If I don't crash between now and June, I'm told my premium will be in the region of a grand - that's still TPFT and that's with 2 years NCB.

Maybe you're one of the lucky ones who has a Utopia postcode.
--
Adam
For reference in the insurance discussion, I have insured my own car for coming up to 3 years in June (Alfa 145, group 9). I've just turned 23.

My first year was TPFT and was £1700. My second year was fully comp and was £1350. This year is fully comp and is £950. 2nd and 3rd years were with 1 and 2 years NCB as well.

We are going to be having my mum as the main driver, full NCB & been driving over 25 years; and add my sister who is coming up to passing her test as a anamed driver. My younger sister will be added when she starts to learn to drive as well.

At the moment, it will cost £250 to insure my mum on the Corolla, adding sister #1 as a named driver will increase the premium by £700 or so.
Adski/Bob

Thanks, you've pretty much confirmed what I expected. Huge premiums (certainly by my standards) even for TPFT for youngsters. I know I was horrified by the additional premium requested for adding my daughter on to a Gp2 Corsa comprehensive insurance when she learned to drive - and she wasn't the main driver. I can see that the £950/year you're looking at is a major running cost.

JS
I don't know where you live, Bob, but I currently spend £1043 for comprehensive insurance on my 'modified' Group 12 Ghia X Mondeo at 20.

Even at 18 I was paying £1200 TPFT on my then Group 9 Xantia TD SX. Both in my name.
Mike,

Do you mind if I ask who you're insured with?

Who are you insured with?

:-)
--
Adam
Admiral at the moment :)
Buying a small car - mountainkat
This is probably the reason young drivers pay such high premiums:

"A third of dangerous drivers, and a quarter of those causing death, are under 21."

motoring.independent.co.uk/comment/story.jsp?story...4
I tried Admiral in my first year but never bothered with the Focus. I'll give them a try in June.

Cheers,
--
Adam
Buying a small car - frazerjp
If practicality is not an issue, a Ford Ka collection at IG 3 is well worth it!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)