What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fiesta Oil Dipstick problem - Steveo4869
I have just finished changing a head gasket on a 1996 Ford Fiesta 1.3 Endura E engine. Everything went ok until I tried to put the dipstick back in it's tube, It just will not go. It goes about 3/4 the way down then it feels something is blocking it. Am I missing something or any advise much appriciated.
Thanks
Steveo
Fiesta Oil Dipstick problem - Cliff Pope
Presumably the dipstick goes down a hole in the cylinder head, rather than down a separate tube?
My guess (I don't know the car) is that either you have put the gasket on upside down or back to front, or used the wrong gasket, and that there is no hole in the gasket corresponding to the dipstick tube.
Or you have dropped something (nut?) down the tube.
Fiesta Oil Dipstick problem - mfarrow
Have you made sure the engine turns over freely (by hand)? I'm as baffled as you Steve, presumably the dipstick hole is on the side of the block like previous incarnations, in which case why did you have the dipstick out anyway?

I'm sure you've just dropped something down there and not realised.
Fiesta Oil Dipstick problem - Steveo4869
Thanks for the reply. I will check tomorrow it sounds like something has fallen. mfarrow you are right the dipstick is on the side of the block. But it definately moved slightly, not completely, when i removed the head. I am now wondering wheather there is a retaining bolt to the head for the dipstick which i didn't remove and may have bent the tube. Oh dear!