What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Brooklands and Mercedes - Altea Ego
Just thought I would tell you that building work has started on this project. Will make Brooklands a good place to visit in 2006, But why wait - Brooklands is worth a day out anyway.

DaimlerChrysler UK has agreed to purchase a 150 acre site at Weybridge in Surrey with plans to build a unique Heritage and Technology Centre for Mercedes-Benz.
Geoff Brady, Managing Director for DaimlerChrysler UK Retail said: "We plan to build the centre to commemorate the history of the world-famous Mercedes-Benz marque and its association with Brooklands and as a technological showcase for our passenger cars.
"We recognise the sensitivity of this site and are working closely with Elmbridge Borough Council, the Brooklands Museum and English Heritage to ensure that our proposals will help to preserve and celebrate the rich history of Brooklands."

The Heritage and Technology Centre would be housed in a carefully designed single building and would include display galleries and a technology centre. A feature would be made of the long history of racing Mercedes at Brooklands and the theatre, visitor, education and hospitality facilities will be made available to local businesses and schools.

The new building would be next to the Brooklands Museum and historic motor racing circuit. The Centre would provide an opportunity for customers and visitors to learn about the evolution of the present day range of cars and to experience at first hand the many performance, safety, economic and environmental benefits of owning a Mercedes-Benz passenger car. The centre would also offer customers the ability to customise and collect their new Mercedes-Benz and to drive their new vehicles on a specially designed circuit.

Dermot Kelly, director for Mercedes-Benz, said: "This proposal is exciting for the Brooklands site and Mercedes. We both share a rich heritage"
Brooklands and Mercedes - cheddar
Sounds good for Brooklands, only prob is that it will be the end of the runway once and for all. Concorde G-BBDG, the first production (though never flew in passenger service) british Concorde is currently being rebuilt at Brooklands to sit alongside the VC10 etc.
Brooklands and Mercedes - Altea Ego
Cheddar, The runway was cut quite a few years ago now by an access road. I lived about 800 yards away from the end of the runway when the last plane was flown in (the sultans VC10 I think). Nearly took the Aerial off my roof.