What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Juddering Brakes - Ford mondeo TD - TonyEnglish
When travelling over 50 and I touch the brakes, my steering shudders quite a lot. The pads are new as they and the discs were replaced not long ago.
Juddering Brakes - BB
Your car isn't a Toyota Avensis by any chance?
Juddering Brakes - TonyEnglish
Sorry I should really have given that info. It is a mondeo TD R reg. {now added.DD}. It had a problem with its brakes which meant that the discs had to be replaced. At the time it was in having its wheel bearings replaced. I have been out of the country for the past four months, hence the pads and discs being still new. It is pretty scary when you dab the brakes and the steering wheel shakes, especially when you are doing 80.
Juddering Brakes - Big Cat
Has the car been unused for the four months you were away? If so, corrosion may have started on the discs. Also they could have been fitted badly (unlikely as they're easy to do) or more likely they are a poor set. I recently had a new set put on Polly the Polo, her set only lasted 6 months before juddering set in again. Garage replaced them under warranty :-)
Juddering Brakes - TonyEnglish
I did notice the problem driving home after they had been replaced and should have took the car back. The car has been used on and off over the past four months, but nothing like the extent to which it gets used when I'm home. The problem is the garage who fitted them are going to try to get out of replacing them due to the length of time which has passed and is on the other side of Manchester to where I live.

As a rough estimate how much should I be looking to pay to get them replaced?
Juddering Brakes - Big Cat
The garage I use for Polly is a VW independent, not a main dealer and I think they charged something like £60. But on the Mondeo they will be bigger discs, possibly vented as well.
Cost will dependon whether they change the pads as well. Opinion is divided on that, depends how worn out they are.
IIRC Ford have a website where you can get on-line quotes for servicing/repairs. I could set up a link here although I don't think the Moderators like it done. Have a look on Google.
Juddering Brakes - Aprilia
Probably poorly fitted (DTV) - a common problem. Need replacing.
Juddering Brakes - bikemade3
Tony
I had a similair problem with my Mondeo, after i had been out of the country for 5 months. I cured it by taking the car down a quiet B road and gave the brakes a right hammering after i think the 4th, 60 to 0 as fast as you can with out locking up it was fine. I put it down to a sticking piston in a front caliper and the judicious use of heavy brakes freeing the piston up. Since then the brakes have been fine and it,s sailed through the MOT's since.
Juddering Brakes - Aprilia
Tony
I had a similair problem with my Mondeo, after i had
been out of the country for 5 months. I cured
it by taking the car down a quiet B road
and gave the brakes a right hammering after i think the
4th, 60 to 0 as fast as you can with out
locking up it was fine. I put it down to a
sticking piston in a front caliper and the judicious use of
heavy brakes freeing the piston up. Since then the brakes have
been fine and it,s sailed through the MOT's since.

>>

No, I don't think that's the problem. Look at his post, "I did notice the problem driving home after they had been replaced and should have took the car back".

If happened straight after disc/pad replacement then its not rust, nor anything sticking; its because the discs weren't fitted correctly.
Aprillia,
If it is that black and white why is it being posted here?
Juddering Brakes - Civic8
Bikemade3. read the post.Plain enough to me.Aprilia was correct and motor should have been returned For correction.Ie badly fitted discs..not unusual.A sticking piston for whatever reason best sorted.not cleared by driving using emergency stop.In some cases piston will not free up in this way
--
Steve
Why do you think i drove it down a very quiet B road to attempt to free the caliper ? possibly cause it's not the " preferred " way to sort it but sort it it did and cost me nothing but my time. If it failed then the next step was to get the calipers off for a stripdown to free the piston.

Having replaced the discs and this now is causing brake judder then get it back to the garage. If they do not want to play ball and replace them again ( assuming this is now only apparant post disc change) take the garage to small claims court for costs OF having to get the discs replaced again.

Having replaced the discs before on my Mondeo i fail to see how the discs fail to sit flat on the hub face unless the garage has damaged the hub during the bearing change and what is DVT ?