Spacesaver spares - johnsnc
I happened to notice one of those on a Golf that pulled right out in front of me this morning. Nothing too unusual in that but we subsequently both joined a stretch of motorway and the Golf headed out into the outside lane and then blasted off at probably 90 to 95 mph, with the worlds skinniest looking rear tyre. I was expecting it to hurtle into the central reservation at any moment. What is the max speed these things are supposed to be good for ?
Spacesaver spares - patently
Usually about 55-60ish.

Reminds me of the old adage about flying. There are old pilots, and bold pilots. But there are no old, bold pilots.
Spacesaver spares - mastiff
A sad tale of speeding with a spacesaver.

www.thisisgwent.co.uk/gwent/archive/2004/11/26/new...l
Spacesaver spares - Adam {P}
Mine's 50mph on a Focus saloon which I presume is heavier than a Golf. I've never seen a spacesaver limit more than 50 but I don't know if the limits vary.
--
Adam
Spacesaver spares - Roger Jones
The Golf space-saver should not be used at over 50 mph -- it's marked on the sidewall. Just looking at the flimsy thing should engender some caution in all but the stupid, I would have thought. Still, I'm reminded of the time when I was passed on the motorway by an idiot towing a boat at 85mph.
Spacesaver spares - Pugugly {P}
"all but the stupid" and dare I add arrogant. No wonder we live in a Nanny state.
Spacesaver spares - daveyjp
My spacesaver clearly states 80km/h as the max speed - the tread on it is like an airline tyre, no lateral grooves at all so doing 90mph is brainless.

Also remember that the spacesaver is for emergency use only i.e. to get you from where you had the puncture to home or the tyre fitter. They are not intended for continual use and using one for extended journeys is an offence.
Spacesaver spares - Dynamic Dave

The trouble with space savers is that they're easily forgotten once fitted. A bit like towing a trailer that isn't visible in your rear view mirror. If you can't see them, then you're not constantly reminded of them.
Spacesaver spares - tr7v8
Quite a few years ago a guy got nicked in a Porsche 911 on the M3 for around 130MPH and on a space saver! Not only got done for the speed but also the unsuitable tyre.

Jim
Spacesaver spares - Snakey
I had the misfortune of driving home (about 15 miles) on a skinny spacesaver on my Toyota Corolla. Probably the most uneasy journey I've ever had as I could feel the lack of grip when I got anywhere near 40mph.

Of course that might have just been the car, but I wasn't going to try going any faster.
Spacesaver spares - apm
My Leon Cupra has 225 section tyres. The spare is a 205 section, and rated at 60 mph, IIRC. What is the point of that? Either have a space-saver that saves space, or a full size!!!

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
Seat Leon Cupra
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
Spacesaver spares - SjB {P}
My Leon Cupra has 225 section tyres. The spare is a 205 section, and rated at 60 mph, IIRC. What is the point of that? Either have a space-saver that saves space, or a full size!!!

Likewise my last car, a Vectra GSi Estate.

Shod with 215/45x17 tyres on Speedline alloy wheels, the spare was a Vx steel wheel with 195/65x15 tyre. When fitted, a limit of 60MPH applied. The reason can only be one of cost, because a full size wheel and tyre fitted happily in the spare wheel well, and there was no weight saving.
Spacesaver spares - cheddar
Likewise my last car, a Vectra GSi Estate. Shod with 215/45x17 tyres on Speedline alloy wheels, the spare was

a Vx steel wheel with 195/65x15 tyre. When fitted, a
limit of 60MPH applied. The reason can only be one
of cost, because a full size wheel and tyre fitted happily
in the spare wheel well, and there was no weight saving.

Ditto my Vectra SRi estate had a 195/60-15 on a steel wheel, the road wheels were 205/55/16 though a 205 section tyre would not fit under the floor however a previous Vectra I had for a while, a 1996 2.0 SRi hatch fitted with 205/50-16's had a full size alloy spare.
Agree with the sentiment HJ, but production costs are still costs, so it comes back to penny pinching. With modern supply chain management software and techniques, and bar code travellers on each car, it's easy peasy to ensure that the correct spare is fitted in the correct bodyshell earlier in the process. The cost is in allowing this to happen.

With respect to my Vectra however, it left Luton as an SRi and was converted to GSi spec, including swapping the wheels, a few miles up the road in Milton Keynes at the premises of MSD. Everything left over at the end of the swap was then shipped back to Luton for re-use.

Leaving a steel rim in the boot, when all this work is done post production, by hand, can only be continued cost saving (of having to purchase one less Speedline wheel per car, and of returning original fit wheels to a distribution depot and getting them back in to stock, or simply disposing of them).
directional spares - Dalglish
and what about directional spares:

what do you do when your spare is a directional type tyre but your puncture is on the opposite side (say you have a spare suited for the offside when you need to replace the nearside tyre ) ?

what are the safety implications and recommendations in that event ?

directional spares - SjB {P}
and what about directional spares:

I would expect that if the spare was of the same size and rating, and of the same construction type (i.e. radial in most cases), you could use any tyre you liked.

So if you have Carlos Fandango 225/45 ZR 17 directional tyres fitted, and then puncture one of them, fitting a Universal Co 225/45 ZR 17 would be perfectly fine, and you could drive to whatever the prevailing speed limits happen to be for the road you are on.

You are not driving an emergency setup. You are driving with four identically sized and rated tyres, so it's then down to you to buy another Carlos Fandango directional tyre whenever you wish, in your own time.
directional spares - Dalglish
I would expect that if the spare was of the same size and
rating, and of the same construction type (i.e. radial in
most cases), you could use any tyre you liked.

>>

if there is no effect on the driveablity/handling, then what is the point of having directional tyres ?

directional spares - Dynamic Dave
if there is no effect on the driveablity/handling, then what is the point of having directional tyres ?

Directional tyres only come into play when it's wet. When the road is dry, it doesn't matter which way they're rotating. You can still drive on them in the wet if they're the wrong way around, but they won't be as efficient as if they otherwise would be.
directional spares - Sofa Spud
I've no direct experience of space-saver tyres but 85 mph while fitted with one seems foolhardy. However in the 'Golf' case mentioned it was on the rear, so perhaps if the car was lightly loaded the tyre might not have made much difference. Also, as another poster mentioned, my first thought was that the driver forgot it was fitted.

By Jove, what a fine day! What - what a..hha-ha...what a tattifilariously fine day for getting hold of 4 unused space savers and fitting them to your car and and driving into town at 25 mph! (with apologies to Ken Dodd).

cheers, Sofa Spud

Spacesaver spares - Pete M
On a previous car, a Eunos 800 (Xedos 9), which had a space saver spare, I noticed that the spare wheel well appeared large enough for a full sized spare. So I obtained a steel rim of the correct size from a breaker and had a new tyre fitted. Solution of problem for a modest cost. Sold car before I ever had to use it, though.
Can't believe I missed a positive reason for fitting space savers, yesterday! Volvo do a very natty active subwoofer that sits on the top of the spare wheel for the V70 (and I believe S60 and S80), so long as the spare wheel is the space saver. The standard Dolby surround system is excellent, and the Premium upgrade that I have even more impressive, but when adjusted for subtlety, the subwoofer (which I don't have but which I have heard) gives a perfect amount of additional musical weight.

Father Christmas is already bringing me the BSR engine tuning software I wrote about earlier, and sat nav, so I think the subwoofer is unfortunately going to have to wait. :-(