What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
306 Rear Speakers - danny k
I would like to replace the parcel shelf speakers but was wondering if I will need to buy adapters or a set of 6 x 9's will go straight in.
The standard speakers look a funny shape.
Any ideas?
306 Rear Speakers - BB
Hi Danny,

You should be able to get a pair of custom fit speakers. (Try asking at halfords if they do a set for your car- you don't have to buy them from Halfords but just get the info.) But these will probably be quite expensive.

I am not sure off the size of the parcel shelf in the 306, but if you want to put 6x9's in, then it will probably work out cheaper and you will get a better pair of speakers for your money. All you have to do is cut out your parcel shelf to the template that will be provided with the speakers.
306 Rear Speakers - SjB {P}
...And if the parcel shelf is as flimsy and flexible as it is on many cars, spend a little time and money making it more rigid. For twenty quid and a few hours of your time, this can often bring a benefit (much 'tighter' more controlled sound) far greater than fitting hugely expensive speakers but allowing the shelf to continue flexing. After all, why bother upgrading speakers at all if they are not fitted to realise most of their potential (without the more extreme effort of making sealed enclosures, etc)?

I have done this a number of times on hatchbacks that I and friends have owned, always to great affect. Usually involves a couple of hours spread over two evenings, some fibreglass mat and resin, a transverse strip of 1"x1.75" timber (pine is fine and not too heavy), and depending how fussy the owner is regarding finish, some felt and Copydex(tm), or simply black spray paint.

HTH.