What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2001 Ford Escape-U.S. - jimbo1971
My father is moving back over here, he wants to know what is invovled in importing his current car (Ford Escape, or Maverick over here). Does it need to be modified in anyway to pass SVA test. All I can think of is headlight adjustment, being a fairly recent car it should pass emmissions??? Any advice would be gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance.
2001 Ford Escape-U.S. - elekie&a/c doctor
We have prepared several US cars for SVA test,including a US Focus,& to be honest it is not worth the aggro.The SVA test is very comprehensive ,alterations to the lighting system is a minor part of the test which includes items like E-marked glass,tyre speed ratings,seat belt anchorages,fold back mirrors for pedestrian safety etc etc.Even though it may be similar to a UK model it does not make it any easier.
2001 Ford Escape-U.S. - jimbo1971
Tnanks for the advice, sounds like it would be alot easier to go through process of selling and buying than all the hassle, haven't even looked into shipping costs yet!!
2001 Ford Escape-U.S. - SkintSteve
Don't forget the problems of driving LHD cars here ( especially in town ). Also the insurance is higher on LHD cars.
Better to sell it and buy something else.
2001 Ford Escape-U.S. - Altea Ego
If your father is coming over for good, and shipping a lot of stuff over, it might be worth while hiring a container and shipping the car as well. Have no intention of using it in the uk or putting it through SVI but selling it "as is". I bet you would get considerably more for it here than selling it in the US.