What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How many coats of gloss protection ? - PhilW
Son and daughter both have new cars. Both opted not to pay £300 for paint protection (Diamondbright etc). I said I would Autoglym them so have applied the resin polish and one going over with Extra Gloss protection - is there any point in applying more than one coat of this? Would it protect better or last longer?? I quite enjoy doing it. After a day failing to make some teenagers any more bright, it\'s good to succeed with something that looks better afterwards, doesn\'t answer back and doesn\'t resent my efforts!!
How manty coats aof gloss protection - paulb {P}
If I remember rightly HJ recommends about 3 coats of it; trouble is you need about 4 hours and a bone-dry day or somewhere under cover to do it. I've never had enough time to apply more than one coat after a wash and polish.

After a day failing to make some teenagers any more bright, it's good to
succeed with something that looks better afterwards, doesn't answer back and
doesn't resent my efforts!!

Although I don't do your job, I know that feeling too... ;-)
How manty coats aof gloss protection - Stuartli
A number of carefully applied coats rather than one in which you attempt to get as much Extra Gloss on as possible is far better.

Using the AutoGlym body shampoo and conditioner when washing the car will help to maintain the finish.

At least using AutoGlym products is not as much hard work as some others..:-)
How manty coats aof gloss protection - PhilW
Thanks ... and sorry for the carp typing of the thread title!!
How manty coats aof gloss protection - patently
for the carp typing of the thread
title!!

Noo woriess!
How manty coats aof gloss protection - Mark (RLBS)
I changed the first header, but left the others to preserve your embarassment.

Mark.
Thanks Mark !! You are so kind!! However, it comes in at only about number 7 in the embarassments suffered today and as you may imagine, in terms of lifetime embarrassments (you know, those things that you have done that really make you cringe when you remember them) it doesn't even register!!!
How manty coats aof gloss protection - BobbyG
Just thinking Phil, would it be better to apply several layers of the gloss finish, or several layers of firstly the polish and then the gloss?

Mmm, not sure!
BobbyG,
Good point - I hadn't thought of that. No doubt someone will enlighten us!
How many coats of gloss protection ? - Civic8
>>I said I would Autoglym them so have applied the resin polish and one going over with Extra Gloss protection

That is the correct way to do it. According to an Autoglym rep.
repeat a week later. and then repeat. Mer is the only other one that matches it for brilliant shine. Never had a problem
--
Was mech1
How many coats of gloss protection ? - Stuartli
AutoGlym Super Resin Polish is very slightly abrasive - its effect is apparently increased if you rub harder according to the instructions (in case that seems obvious!).

Better I would think to use the polish just the once on new paintwork and then only apply Extra Gloss for at least a year, plus the body shampoo and conditioner when washing the vehicles.