What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Good Bora TDi 150 deal? Help! - bonkersrob
Dear All,

I've been offered a met. black VW Bora (52 2002 plate) Sport TDi 150, for £12,700, with £8500 as partex value for my Ford Focus TDCi 115bhp Zetec (it's an import, 52 plate 2002, 13k miles, with climate, reflex packs + ford spoiler, towbar).

Can anyone provide feedback and let me know if this is a good deal? I am trying to avoid depreciation on my Focus (and get what I can for it) when the new Focus comes out. However I have also heard that VW are bringing out a new Bora....

Any advice would be great!

Kind Regards, Rob
Good Bora TDi 150 deal? Help! - bonkersrob
Further to my above message, would it be better, in the long run to keep the Focus? I am interested in looking at the new Focus when it comes out - how much will me Focus be worth then? Would I better off going for the Bora, or even a VW Golf GT TDi 140 (however cost would be £9700 to change - OUCH).

Kind Regards,

Rob
Good Bora TDi 150 deal? Help! - Stuartli
Bit pricy - somewhere between £11,250 and £11,750 would be nearer the mark and, in view of the fact it's an import, perhaps a little less.

The new Bora won't be out until next year at the earliest it seems.

I've a 2000 year specification Bora 1.6 SE - very classy interior and great build quality, but 16in wheels and low profile tyres can sometimes provide a harsh ride on some of our roads.
Good Bora TDi 150 deal? Help! - DavidHM
The p/x value, given that it's an import, is very generous, but the Bora's not actually that fashionable so, despite the astonishingly good engine, it's unlikely to be that easy to sell on so it doesn't look cheap. That price is getting close to Golf money, and while the Bora is at least as good a car as a Golf, it's nowhere near as good a resale prospect.

If you're looking to change for something brand new within the next year or so, I can't see you getting even half of your £4k to change back, so I wouldn't bother.
Good Bora TDi 150 deal? Help! - Stuartli
>>at least as good a car as a Golf>>

The current Bora is basically a MkIV Golf with a (big) boot but a much superior interior and the higher level range of VW engines choice. Even so the boot is only two-thirds of the capacity of the Jetta, not sure about the Vento.

It's more expensive that a Golf new but the main problem in the UK, unlike the States where the Bora outsells the Golf three to one, is that saloons are not as popular in the smaller model ranges on the market; most people want a hatchbank at such levels despite the success of the Bora's cousins, the Seat Toledo and Skoda Octavia, especially the Skoda.
Good Bora TDi 150 deal? Help! - Marc
What are the differences in interior trim between an identical spec Golf MkIv and a Bora?

Know what you mean about the US - I saw loads of Boras in NY - seems to be a trendy car for young people
No good Bora - how bout Golf TDi! - bonkersrob
Hi David,

Many thanks for your (and everyone else's) reply. I agree exactly with what you are saying, and have now decided to leave the Bora well alone. I have been also thinking about getting the VW Golf GT TDi 140. I've been offered one, via the What Car broker, for £17,200 on the road (54 plate new) (including metallic) - they also offered my partex for my Focus, which was £7500. Is this a good deal? How much will I stand to keep from the car in the next year/ 2/ 3 years?

Regards,

Rob
No good Bora - how bout Golf TDi! - Stuartli
My son has exactly the same Focus as you - £11k for a mid 2003 with only a modest number of miles on the clock. Loves it.

Your PX prices show the swings and roundabouts - high price, high PX; low price, low PX normally. It's the cost to change that's the key.

The Golf will hold its value better than a Focus but the point about the Bora, which is one of the reasons I have one and owned two Jettas from 1992 to last year, is that their comparative rarity means you display some individuality.

All you ever see are BMW 3-series, Mondeos, Golfs, Focus(es), Fiestas etc - why be the same as everyone else?
No good Bora - how bout Golf TDi! - daveyK_UK
not many engines better than the 150 tdi

you would have owned a beauty.