What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo ST24 V's ST220 fuel economy. - AdyBeee
Hi all,
I'm thinking of buying an ST220 Mondeo. I've just discovered the ST220 is a 3.0L V6, not the 2.5L I used to own in an ST24.
The one thing I'm concern about is the fuel economy. This you might find odd if I'm considering buying a car like this. The fact is that the ST24 I owned a few years back produced an average of 18mpg, being an American built Duratech V6 lump, I dont think they were too concerned with economy.
The Mitsubishi Galant 2.5L V6 I own now does 28 - 35mpg, although it has less power than the Ford it delivers it in a way that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.
The ST220 engine I notice is a Zetec 3.0L V6, the Duratec has been discontinued in the Mondeo V6 range.
Does anyone know if the Zetec V6 is better or worse for economy as the Duratec was. If Ford discontinued the Duratec in this country for it's gas guzzeling tendancies I wouldn't be suprised.
Any info on actual fuel stats for the ST220 would be sorted.
P.S. The only other car I'm thinking of buying is a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 2.5L Twin T. Does anyone own one of these? Any views on it? Ie, if a Turbo blows how much for a new un?
M.T.I.A AdyBeee..
Mondeo ST24 V's ST220 fuel economy. - cheddar
The 2.5 and 3.0 V6's in the latest Mondeo are closely related to the 2.5 in the ST24, basically a very tough and refined engine with a cam chain as opposed to a cam belt on the rival Vauxhall engine (though the latter was more gutsy in the mid range if you compare 2.5's).

The ST220 should average around 26-28 mpg, the issue here is the 18mpg you quote for the ST24, either the car was wrongly set up or you have a very heavy right foot!

If you want performance and economy look at the new ST TDCi, 2.2 diesel, reckon you will be astonished by the 400nm of torque, quicker day to day than the ST220 and average of over 45mpg possible.
Cheddar,
the 18mpg was my main concern about the ST24. I have to admit I did tend to hammer the thing. I could live with 26-28mpg, so long as I dont have to drive like a granny to accomplish this.
ST TDCi 2.2 Diesel <---- ?? To me the 45mpg sounds good, not sure about the Diesel bit. Maybe I'm old fashioned in thinking Diesels belong in tractors and forklifts. Match a petrol engine ( with a Turbo ) CC for CC with a Turbo diesel and see what happens. 8)

AdyBee..
Mondeo ST24 V's ST220 fuel economy. - cheddar
Put it this way, the 2.2 TDCi produces 400nm torque (not only far greater that the ST220's 280nm or so, also more than any 4.0 V8), it also produces 155ps at around 4000rpm, at which revs the 3.0 petrol is only producing around 120ps, it is only if you use the last 1500rpm off the petrol engine that you get any benefit at all, and to cap it all the diesel uses not far off half the amount of fuel.

Yes, I love the free reving nature of a high performance petrol engine (that why I have got a Kawasaki) however turbo diesel really makes sense.

Mondeo ST24 V's ST220 fuel economy. - martinh
What an intelligent and thoughtful post Cheddar. It has at last made me reconsider my prejudice against diesel. However hasn't HJ indicated some reliability reservations about the bigger of the new Ford turbodiesels? There are some posts on this website from disgruntled owners.
Mondeo ST24 V's ST220 fuel economy. - Dan J
In response to your comment, martinh, the problem HJ refers to involves an exhaust gas recirculation valve sticking on the 2.0TDCi Mondeo engine. This invariably seems to happen with the larger horsepower of the two engines (130 as opposed to 115) but still can occur on the lower powered unit. This is an issue that should've been resolved for any Mondeo built after October(ish) last year.

The new 2.2 engine has only just started production and should prove problem free having had any issues ironed out in the earlier, smaller capacity engines.

We've had a vast amount of interest in this car so far. If it was my money there'd be no contest, it'd have to be the Titanium Diesel (Titanium is the new name for the ST220/ST TDCi).

Having asked a few work colleagues what they get out of their ST220's, I think a ball park figure is around 25mpg. Maybe 28 on longer drives, late teens during thrashing. The 150ps diesel engine is expected to provide mid 40's. No contest...

Good luck!
Mondeo ST24 V's ST220 fuel economy. - martinh
We've had a vast amount of interest in this car

Do you have an interest in selling these vehicles Dan? (This is not a rude enquiry, but I am an infrequent visitor here and don't know the affiliations of regular posters).

I must say at first glance the Ti Mondeo diesel looks to be the most complete family car Ford of Europe has ever produced.
Mondeo ST24 V's ST220 fuel economy. - Dan J
Do you have an interest in selling these vehicles Dan? (This
is not a rude enquiry, but I am an infrequent visitor
here and don't know the affiliations of regular posters).

In an indirect kind of way! I work for Ford Motor Company...
I must say at first glance the Ti Mondeo diesel looks
to be the most complete family car Ford of Europe has
ever produced.

Agreed. Finally Ford is taking the diesel market seriously and producing some excellent engines. The ST220 is a good looking car that has always produced much interest but as a company vehicle people don't take it because of the very high CO2 and thus taxation. Most go to Ford managers for 6 months and then onto dealer forecourts as nearly new bargains. The ST TDCi will be a different matter - our fleet departments are already inundated with enquiries and future predicted values double some of the other models are already being talked about (thus making the car a very good prospect on PCP unlike other cars in its class). We needed to lose the Maverick which is thankfully gone and also the joke that is the Fusion, but as a brand we are finally managing to do what Mazda have been so successful with and produce some mainstream cars that people are getting excited about.
Dan J,
thanks for the reply regarding the answer to my original question. The ST220 petrol engined Mondeo does around 25mpg.
This sounds good to me.
As for ever owning a Diesel. I owned a 1.7L Corsa N/A Diesel once. In a moment of madness I bought this, and regretted for the duration that I owned it. Fair comment it had no Turbo. Well to be honest, it didn't have anything. You might say Diesels have come a long way since 1997. This may be true, but I'll never know because I'm never going to own an oil burner agian. Once bitten twice shy innit.

AdyBee...