What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Glass splinters off a Ford interior - andyeb78
I bought a brand new Ford Fiesta (1.4 "Flame") a couple of weeks ago and overall, I have been very pleased with my new car.

However, recently I have been getting glass splinters in my hands if I touch the rear parcel shelf - causing itching and irritation for several days afterwards. The parcel shelf seems to be made from some kind of glass fibre material - took me a while to figure out where the splinters were actually coming from.

Rather unhappy about this, I took the car back to the dealer and they compared it to another brand new Fiesta, which as far as I could tell was exactly the same. The rep confidently ran his hands all over the underside of the parcel shelf and made me feel silly for raising the issue (boy I bet he has itchy hands now!!). They told me there was no point in ordering a new shelf as the replacement would have the same problem.

I told them I would write to Ford about it and drove home feeling silly for having wasted an hour of my life :(.

So, has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions how to take this up with Ford? I appreciate one solution is not to touch the rear parcel shelf, but I'm troubled that Ford are selling cars in this condition.
Glass splinters off a Ford interior - Stuartli
The latest Ford Fiesta parcel shelf is described as being carpet covered - is it just the underside that causes you problems?

However, the following may throw some light on the subject for you:

www.fuelandfiber.com/Archive/Fiber/Composites/Plas...l

Several major car manufacturers appear to be using plastic matrix composites material more and more for interior fittings.
Yes it is the underside and edges that cause the problem - the top side is indeed carpet covered.

I managed to find a phone number on the Ford website to call - phone was quickly answered by a helpful bloke with a heavy scottish accent (easier to understand than a heavy indian accent I think ;)) . He promised to phone me back by Monday with some answers - let's see what Ford have to say on the issue then.

I don't have a problem with glass fibre being used for interior fittings, as long as the fibres are well enough bonded to stop them getting in your hands! If I take the shelf out and turn it over, I can see hundreds of fibres sticking out of the bottom of the shelf at various angles, all gleaming in the sunlight. Surely this isn't normal??
Quite a lot of people suffer skin irritations from such materials, which is one reason why people who handle them during manufacture or construction wear goggles, gloves and protective clothing.

IF Ford doesn't come up with an answer, perhaps covering the underside of the parcel shelf with something transparent such as thin plastic sheeting cut to fit and glued on may help? You won't spoil the appearance (hopefully) then.
Perhaps I'll just get a pair of gloves to use when handling the parcel shelf in future, but I still don't think it is right to get splinters off a component which is actually designed to be removed by hand.

The irritation seemed to be caused purely by the presence of the splinters themselves (which are impossible to remove with tweezers), rather than some kind of skin reaction.
But what you describe, especially in your thread, is in fact a skin reaction.

Fibre optic manufacturers, for instance, warn about the dangers of fragments piercing the skin or eyes and to take measures to prevent contact of skin, eyes and clothing with such material to prevent irritation or serious injuries.

So, as you say, it seems strange that Ford has not taken steps to make the handling of your parcel shelf safer (if this is more general); why should anyone have to use gloves to remove or replace it?
Glass splinters off a Ford interior - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Why not try spraying the underside with an acrylic varnish or clear laquer to seal the surface?
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
>>acrylic varnish or clear laquer to seal the surface?>>

I had thought about something on these lines but felt there might be a possibility of fumes being released for a while afterwards.

However, clear polyurethane varnish as you suggest or even yacht varnish could well do the trick.

I used five thin coats of the former on then new handmade cabinets on either side of our fireplace about 12 years ago and they are still scratch free, plus being undamaged by hot cups being place on the top surface.
Glass splinters off a Ford interior - THe Growler
What about Saran Wrap (cling film)? It won't alter the shelf in any way and could be easily removed.
Well today Ford phoned me back as promised (credit where it is due). Apparently this is normal, to be expected and they don't intend to do anything about it :(.

Personally, I think people should be able to use a car normally/sensibly without suffering minor injury. Obviously Ford think differently!
Glass splinters off a Ford interior - Nsar
This would hack me off no end as well. Perhaps stick some heavy duty fabric tape where you are likely to handle it, but you shouldn't really need to in the first place.
Glass splinters off a Ford interior - SjB {P}
I had the same problem many years ago after using fibreglass on the underside to re-inforce a weakened parcel shelf. Solved by using Copydex(tm) to stick black woollen felt to the surface. Done properly as it was, it looked smart and OEM in nature too.