What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - Roger Jones
The annual Which? survey has arrived. Perhaps the most interesting bit is the list of "nine No-Nos" for buyers of used cars:

Citroen C5
Daewoo Nubira (pre-2003)
Fiat Brava
Fiat Bravo
Ford Galaxy
Mitsubishi Carisma
Peugeot 406
Renault Laguna
Vauxhall Vectra (pre-Junes 2002)
VW Polo

I'll try and find time later to relay some of the juicier bits of some unusually (for Which?) frank comments.
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - BazzaBear {P}
Please don't tell us that Alfa are average and VW poor, or you'll set 'them' off again ;)
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - Citroënian {P}
Is that the current model Laguna (Laguna II) ?

surprised to see the Polo there but the rest would make sense.
--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
All Lagunas, it seems: "A stupendously unreliable car. Renault seems to have restricted building the Laguna to Friday afternoons. An unenjoyable drive, too, especially for tall drivers."
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - Aprilia
surprised to see the Polo there but the rest would make
sense.
--
Lee

I'm not, especially after all the hassle my mother had with her 2002 model. Dealer hung on to it for three weeks for an engine management fault - and then it needed a new gearbox. All this at less than 10k miles.

I nearly pulled all my hair out when she p/exd it for a new one (early 2004). Fortunately the new one seems reliable - at least I haven't been called out to run her to the dealers and back yet!
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - Malcolm_L

Peugeot 406??

Given the number of 406's used by minicab drivers, I find the 406's inclusion surprising.

No Alfa's - that'll be disappointing for some.

Although I subscribe to Which, some of their findings are best digested with a large helping of salt.

The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - No Do$h
Although I subscribe to Which, some of their findings are best
digested with a large helping of salt.

So why subscribe if you are going to be selective about the results you pay any credence to?
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - SlidingPillar
In my job we subscribe - largly to see what they are saying rather than any inherent belief in correctness.

Cars, TV, computers I'd look elsewhere, but I have to admit buying their best small camera years ago (not recomended as they found it hard to get the film in - never had a problem) and more recently their best breadmaker (which I think they did recommend).
As I understand it, their reports are based purely on user/owner surveys and their own "exhaustive tests".

Best buys among new cars:

Yaris
Jazz
Civic
Corolla
Focus
Primera
Volvo S60
Lexus IS200/300
MB C-class
Nissan Almera Tino
MB E-class
Jag S-type

Interesting remark in C-class piece: "The [BMW] 3 series still has the edge in a few areas ? notably running costs and security ? but BMW's declining reliability is a worry."
BMW's declining reliability............

Pretty rich when you're talking about the C-class, this has come up several times on this forum alone and appears to be spearheading MB's quest towards less than robust build quality.

The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - bradgate
7 of their 12 reccommendations are Japanese. Yet another piece of evidence to support the golden rule of car-buying.

"When it's your own money, buy Japanese"
Cos I thought I try it out - suffice to say I'm not going to renew ny subscription.

I certainly didn't subscribe determined to go my own way!
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - Bill Payer
Peugeot 406??
Given the number of 406's used by minicab drivers, I find
the 406's inclusion surprising.

I have one that's been an utter nightmare (thank God it's a company lease car). The dealer is spectacularly useless (I understand that this is normal) and Peugeot themselves - even Customer service managers) obviously couldn't give a toss. It needs so much work each time it goes in for a service that it's usually there for 3 days, and I stop listing the faults when they fill a page of A4. They had it recently for 2 wks but they did 'fix' the engine mis-fire that it's had for 7 months. It now only mis-fires sometimes.
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - daveyK_UK
i fully understand the list, especially the ford galaxy which is terribly unreliable.

however i dont understand the daewoo nubira and mitsubishi carisma being in their

the daewoo because i presumed while being clumsy to drive and rough around the edges, it contained the far eastern reliablilty. Maybe GM motors has something to do with it.

The carisma especailly - its still around today.
its the same car as the decent v40, mitsubishi engines run for ever, was their an early fault on the car?
alot in the trade consider the carisma as a under-rated car.
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - Stuartli
>>its the same car as the decent v40>>

Different as chalk and cheese - the last thing the Mitsi should have been called was C(h)arisma...:-)

Presumably you've never driven one?
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - daveyK_UK
but relialbilty isnt defined by the way it drives!

plus, the 2004 model must be decent enough as i see a few diesel versions on the roads.
"Mitsubishi GDi's (also fitted to Volvos) suffering from poor injector spray patterns, cooked cylinder heads and inlets, and eventual failure of throttle body. Causes poor idle or poor acceleration"

www.bba-reman.com/volvo_throttle_actuator.htm (scroll down to Mitsubishi)

www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/Forum/index.php?showtopic=13...7

Just for starters...:-)
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - Cardew
Presumably the Polo is the latest model?

The previous models of Polo always seemed to be at the top of the best used car buys.
OK, here's the juice ? their words, not mine:

Citroen C5
"Hard to know what's worse about this car ? the horrible drive or annoying tendency for various bits of it to stop working."

Daewoo Nubira (pre-2003)
"As unpleasant to drive as it is to look at, this is a noisy, uncomfortable beast of a car."

Fiat Brava / Fiat Bravo
"Almost comically unpopular with people who've bought one. Poor blighters."

Ford Galaxy
"Happier in the local garage than on the open road, the Galaxy can cost you an arm and a leg to run. Lacks loading and storage space too."

Mitsubishi Carisma
"Cheap to run, but that doesn't make up for the resolutely uncharismatic drive."

Peugeot 406
"A sub-editing nightmare in the Which? Car office ? there are more things wrong with the 406 than we could fit in our summaries."

Renault Laguna
"A stupendously unreliable car. Renault seems to have restricted building the Laguna to Friday afternoons. An unenjoyable drive, too, especially for tall drivers."

Vauxhall Vectra (pre-Junes 2002)
"Disappointment on wheels. A slightly depressing driving experience and woeful build quality."

VW Polo
"Prone to breakdowns and remarkably easy to break into. Leave nothing of value in a Polo. Better still, don't even consider buying one." [They also say the new Polo is even worse than the old for security.]
Roger,
As you say in your initial post this is unusually frank for Which and nothing like their normal style. Sounds like they have recruited Clarkson as a sub-editor!

C
In case anyone has not seen the top 100 used car buys in Used Car Buyer, here's the list:

www.tiscali.co.uk/motoring/usedcar_pricelists/2
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - LongDriver {P}
Which? Magazine:
"Happier in the dustbin than in the hands of an intelligent reader."

My words, not theirs!

As for the reliability of a Ford Galaxy, I have covered 40,000 miles in 11 months with only one problem - the battery expired last week - and that was only because I know I killed it with a 12v fridge! Still got it replaced under warranty though!

Most Which? subscribers seem to be related to Victor Meldrew.

Reports in Which?: "I don't belieeeeeeve it!"
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - somebody
Not surprised to see Citroen, Peugeot and Renault there. It is truly a mystery to me why anybody would buy a French car. Feels like they are made from tin, plastic and bent wire... build quality reminiscent of British Leyland at its worst...

I have often wondered how come the French have three volume car makers and the Brits have none.

If you look at who buys these cars, it seems to me to break down into three categories: the French themselves, particularly the government (French police don't run BMWs!); people who know nothing about cars and think they are getting a great deal; and the aspiring middle-class who know they're crap but overlook the fact because they think being French excuses any number of eccentricities.

That surely can't be enough to support three manufacturers. Which only leaves massive state subsidies. Surely, the French would never break EU law in that way, would they? Oh, I was forgetting, it's them that write the law, isn't it!

The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - carl_a
Time to start a new Renault bashing thread RF.

The French really do love their own cars, but not to fear they are buying Japanese and Korean cars more than ever before.
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - Altea Ego
"people who know nothing about cars and think they are getting a great deal; and the aspiring middle-class who know they're crap but overlook the fact because they think being French excuses any number of eccentricities."

I know lots about cars, am not aspiring middle class, and my car does not have any eccentricities.

Wish to pigeon hole me somewhere else?

How about as a driver of an very good looking car with good performance and excelent economy, providing many hours of comfortable and reliable mile munching?

The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - PhilW
Well said RF. I get tired of defending the ultra reliable Cits I have owned since 1987 all of which (except the present ones)have done over 100k.
My wife's Xantia HDi Exclusive is also "a very good looking car with good performance and excelent economy, providing many hours of comfortable and reliable mile munching" and my Berlingo does exactly as I expect it to and is surprisingly good to drive. I'm going out now to search for eccentricities - unless of course "somebody" counts the superb ride of the Xantia.
What car does Mr Somebody drive? And what does he think of Italian cars???

The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - somebody
I drive a Lexus but my all time favourite car is the Vauxhall Cavalier V6. Tough as nails, reliable, fast and comfortable. I'm pleased a couple of posters here like their French cars. Personally I don't know anybody who has tried one - my former company included - who hasn't bitterly regretted it. You only have to look at resale values for your Citroens to see what the trade thinks of them.

I love Italian cars. I've never owned one, but several people I know who have run Alfas, the 156 springs to mind, love them and have had very few problems.

The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - Altea Ego
Oh and if YOU knew anything about cars you would know the French have TWO volume car makers. The Peugeot/Citroen group and Renault.
That surely can't be enough to support three manufacturers. Which only
leaves massive state subsidies. Surely, the French would never break EU
law in that way, would they? Oh, I was forgetting, it's
them that write the law, isn't it!

>>
I believe Renault and PSA are doing OK, financially. Certainly Renault were wise enough to buy into Nissan, whereas the 'astute' British government merely handed out cash and massive subsidies to Nissan to enable them set up screwdriver plants here (not to mention all the subsidies given to the other Japanese/Korean etc etc manufactures who dangled the carrot of a factory in an unemployment blackspot). I think the French got the better deal!
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - carl_a
Most countries will give money to help the development of the car industry, the French have done it in the past. The US and Eastern Europe are helping funding of Hyundai/Kia & Toyota factories at the moment.

At the time when Renault bought a share in Nissan it was losing lots of money, in the USA they are doing well but not that well in Europe.
>>screwdriver plants >>

You've obviously never been round the Nissan, Toyota and Honda UK manufacturing plants then...:-)
By the way, I've just received my (Press) copy of the Which? reliability report.

It's embargoed until Saturday, September 4th - not much point in the report being sent out so early then, in contrast to the normal monthly issue, if it becomes such a topic of forum interest.
>>screwdriver plants >>
You've obviously never been round the Nissan, Toyota and Honda UK
manufacturing plants then...:-)

Not been around Honda, but have been around Toyota (done some consultancy work for them last year on an electrical problem) and also worked for some months at Nissan on problem they had with the Primera (but that was 10 years ago). The UK plants are all what I would term 'screwdriver plants' - in relative terms there is not a lot of R&D goes on here, what does go on tends to be undertaken by the suppliers.
My understanding of a screwdriver plant is one where something is assembled from parts brought in from all parts of the country or even worldwide.

The UK plants manufacture and assemble bodyshell panels, engines (Toyota's engine plant is on Deeside) etc and other parts come on a Just In Time basis from suppliers, who have built their own factories close by.

All these Japanese UK plants demand staggering minimum failure rates for parts (less than one in a million plus in certain instances); on top of that such suppliers are expected to consistently raise those standards whilst, at the same time, bring down plant purchasing costs.

My understanding of a screwdriver plant is one where something is
assembled from parts brought in from all parts of the country
or even worldwide.
The UK plants manufacture and assemble bodyshell panels, engines (Toyota's engine
plant is on Deeside) etc and other parts come on a
Just In Time basis from suppliers, who have built their own
factories close by.
All these Japanese UK plants demand staggering minimum failure rates for
parts (less than one in a million plus in certain instances);
on top of that such suppliers are expected to consistently raise
those standards whilst, at the same time, bring down plant purchasing
costs.

Stuartli

I have worked as a design engineer in motor industry for a long long time, including working for Rover, GM, Ford, Jag (pre-Ford) and various consultancies (e.g. MIRA near Nuneaton) so I have a pretty good idea of what goes on.

To me a 'screwdriver plant' is where there is manufacturing and assembly, but no R&D - i.e. the intellectual property is located elsewhere. I think it is true to say that most Japanese companies still do most of their R&D in Japan. Subassemblies are often put out to suppliers, who do the design work. E.g. if you buy an Avensis the power window switches are supplied by TRW, who designed them according to Toyota (Japan) brief. The bits and pieces inside the switch packs (i.e. the silicone contacts and PCB) are actually made in China and shipped over here.

JIT is very over-hyped in the UK. Not a lot of stuff is done JIT in this country. I remember being at Rover Cowley when the Rover 600 line had just started up. I went to lunch with one of the managers and he started droning on about how the fuel tanks and exhausts came JIT from Unipart just up the road. I asked about the engines - 'Oh, they're on a three-month lead time from Japan'. It then turned out they had a surplus boat full of 2.3 Honda engines somewhere in the Pacific - people were buying the 2.0 but not the 2.3 - so they had to stockpile loads of expensive 2.3 engines for a while..

In terms of QC Toyota is pretty near the top - they demand about 5ppm from suppliers, which is a factor of 10 or more up on some other manufacturers....

For cultural reasons the Japanese are very reluctant to allow much technical R&D outside of Japan. There is a good book on Japanese industrial practice - "Inside Japan's Powerhouses" by Kevin Rafferty. This attitude is probably changing a bit nowadays though - (i.e. Nissan/Renault; Ford/Mazda etc.).
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - Buster Cambelt
To be very pedantic, the Japanese (among others) discovered long ago that QA is the way to build anything and that QC is not. QA means building in quality at all stages from design to manufacture and for empowering people to fix things that are wrong in the process. QC means finding faults and fixing them - often after delivery.

Honda and Toyota do masses of QA and, by the look of the warranty costs, very little QC.
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - madux
I agree with Aprilia that JIT is over-hyped.
I used to work for a company that transported widgets for a (well known) Japanese car factory from Germany.
They wanted a delivery of 240 widgets per day, no more, no less.
We would keep a reserve of one week's supply in a warehouse, for which we would charge storage.
Every now and then one of their robots would work through their tea-break, or something, so we would deliver 1 widget from our emergency stock of 10 (for which storage was charged), and charge them for the delivery.
So what is the point?
JIT is not really saving them any money, whether they realise it or not.
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - Welliesorter
It is truly a mystery to me why anybody would buy a French
car...

The Toyota Yaris tops the best buy list. Would anyone like to guess where it's made? Clue: not Japan.
>>Would anyone like to guess where it's made>>

Strange mix really, a Japanese model with a Down Under derived model name and built in a country close to the south of Great Britain...:-)
>> It is truly a mystery to me why anybody would
buy a French
>> car...
The Toyota Yaris tops the best buy list. Would anyone like
to guess where it's made? Clue: not Japan.

Some 1.0 models were/are assembled in France and the early models of these, according to HJ's car-by-car breakdown, were the ones that gave quality problems.

I believe all the 1.3 models are made in Japan - or they were until recently.

Regardless of where they were assembled they are Japanese cars.
>>Regardless of where they were assembled they are Japanese cars>>

It's the methods of construction and quality control that are important, not the country in which they are built.

>>Some 1.0 models were/are assembled in France and the early models of these ....... were the ones that gave quality problems>>

Now there's a strange thing...:-))

The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - bartycrouch
The reason the French have kept their 3 manufacturers is because each brand they each have their distinct selling points.

Renault - Safety, designs that develop new markets (16, Scenic, Espace, etc.)

Peugeot - Driver satisfaction and comfort.

Citroen - Generally value in the UK.

The British from the shopfloor right up to the boardroom were too busy fighting each other to realise where the real competition was coming from.

The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - Avant
My daughter has a 1.3 Yaris and there is a 'Made in France' notice on the windscreen. They obviously aren't ashamed of it!

Possibly there were some teething problems when the plant was first set up - but ours is fine so far (3 months).
The Which? car survey 2004/2005 - Ivor E Tower
Hmmm, I bought a used Galaxy and it certainly prefers being driven in a "spirited" manner to being in a dealer's workshop. It has suffered from the expected aircon failure under warranty, front anti-roll drop link replacement (known problem) and a Varta battery that expired at 3 years old but no other manufacturing-related problems. My brother has an old-style Laguna that has been perfectly reliable with only the odd glitch that has been sorted quickly and efficiently. My Galaxy was preceded by a Scenic which Mrs Tower now runs, and it has been perfectly reliable with no electrical (or other) worries.
With all these reliable cars around it makes you wonder how the repair shops stay in business.
My friend who's run an independent repair 'shop for the last 20 years reckons that its the French and Italians that keep him in business - if they stopped making cars he'd not have much to repair and go bust! Oh, and don't forget Landrover - he always has a few Freelanders and Disco's on the forecourt awaiting repair...