What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driving in the Rain - Duchess
Major gripes from this morning\'s drive into work:

Why do people drive in minimal visibility with no lights on or sidelights only? Was the motorcyclist I saw without lights actually trying to commit suicide or did he think that everyone else had xray vision?

Why don\'t people leave longer gaps? Does safe braking distance mean nothing?

Do drivers not understand how high their bow wave goes over other cars? MPV and HGV drivers seem to be particularly poor at this - hey guys, some of us (and our engines) are nearer to the ground than you!

Is it a foreign concept that if you hit surface water at speed, there\'s a very good chance you\'re going to skid/aquaplane? Frankly I don\'t care if you smash your own car up or give yourself a bruised nose but leave my and mine out of it!!!!
Driving in the Rain - BazzaBear {P}
OK, in order:

1. They're stupid
2. They're stupid
3. No. They're stupid
4. Not foreign. But stupid people don't get it.
Driving in the Rain - bradgate
The Motorway speed limit should be 60mph in wet/foggy conditions. France has lower speedlimits in the wet and it seems to work well.
Not sure I agree.
That's just telling people even more that they don't need to use their own common sense, just do as they're told. You'll end up getting some idiots thinking that in torrential rain with no visibility, it's safe to do 60, coz the sign says so.

The thing is, there are times when it's raining where it's still perfectly safe to do 70, then there are times where you'd be stupid to go above 40, so just picking an arbitrary figure can't really work, in my opinion.
Driving in the Rain - Hawesy1982
...and there are times on empty dry motorways where it's perfectly safe to drive at 80 - and so the argument goes round and round.

I don't suppose the large matrix signs on the motorways responded to the heavy rain did they? "Use your lights when raining" would have probably made a big difference.
Driving in the Rain - Civic8
>>"Use your lights when raining"

I thought it was law to use dipped headlights during rain/fog/snow.so why should anyone need reminding.I think point made was.certain drivers feel they are immune to accidents.of which seems to be the case.But have noticed over the years. those that cause an accident get away and dont know the accident happened.
--
Was mech1
>>"Use your lights when raining"
I thought it was law to use dipped headlights during rain/fog/snow.so
why should anyone need reminding.

Hahahahaha
Lol
That's a good one.
*wipes tears from eyes*
Driving in the Rain - BobbyG
Driving on M8 to Edinburgh, very foggy, absolutely chucking down with rain, some cars with no lights on and then you get to the overhead warning sign at Bathgate.

Common sense says this would be lit with a message along lines of use your lights? No, it had a warning about roadworks 40 miles away!
I wonder about your comment.
>>Hahahahaha
Lol
That's a good one.
*wipes tears from eyes*

I had a near miss on M25.in 91 Feb of year.car decided to shoot out in front of Van.after a sheet of snow developed between J.6/5.As I recall 25 motors were involved in the accident.I actually saw the front cars involved in accident.van also collided as driver swerved to avoid a car.he or she didnt make it.I was lucky I was going slow enough to get through a gap in smashed cars/vans.if you still find that funny.can only think you are as rest of brigade think you are immune to accidents?.I think some will remember snowstorms of 91.?

--
Was mech1
Sorry forgot to mention the van and one car had lights on?
--
Was mech1
Well, there's an over-reaction for you. I don't see how what I said in any way implies that I find someone having a crash funny.

I was laughing at your suggestion that because something is the law, the Great British Public shouldn't need reminding of it.
What exactly has brought you to that conclusion?
My opinion would be that whether it be the law, common sense or even a matter of life or death, there are plenty of people out there who would need reminding of it.

Don't overtake on unbroken double white lines. Who'd have thought people needed reminding of that? But you see plenty of people doing it.
And what about mobile phone usage?

BTW, this might just be me, but I find it very hard to decipher your posts. They would be much more readable if you put spaces after your full-stops. It's very hard to tell where one sentence ends and the next begins.
>>BTW, this might just be me, but I find it very hard to decipher your posts. They would be much more readable if you put spaces after your full-stops. It's very hard to tell where one sentence ends and the next begins.

Fair comment. It has been mentioned before.
I read your post wrong.
--
Was mech1
It may have been fair, but was possibly unnecessary, as was accusing you of over-reaction.
I was not in the best of moods when I posted this morning, and had I been a little more patient it would have been obvious that you'd just taken the wrong meaning from my original post.
My apologies.
Driving in the Rain - Dynamic Dave
steve.o, (formerly Mech1) has already explained his poor spelling and grammar over in Tech Matters.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=18...4

Several people, (myself included), had previously hinted to him before he explained things; Remember, none of us are perfect.

DD.
Driving in the Rain - THe Growler
I was always taught (and teach my pupils) that the first 10-15 mins of rain after a dry spell require caution until the residues of grease and spilled oil are washed away.
Driving in the Rain - patently
I was taught that too.

By a RWD car that turned through 180 degrees. You don't forget lessons like that!