What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
mid size car for 3 grand? - footy_72
Having sold my beloved Saxo VTR, and placed my burberry baseball cap at the back of the wardrobe, i need a more sensible and less chavtastic replacement.

Ideally would have aircon, and a big enough boot for a weeks camping equipment.

Ideas so far include:

Citroen Xsara 1.8 (S plate)
Audi A4 (120k plus miles N or P plate)
Peugeot 306

Which would people say makes the best buy? Any other ideas? SWMBO is tempted by the audi, but do they make good high mileage buys?

Thanks people.........
mid size car for 3 grand? - Wee Willie Winkie
All depends on exactly what you're after.

I owned a 1.8 Xsara briefly. I was impressed by its straight line speed in every gear and general handling, but was not at all impressed by the low rent interior. But, if you're coming from a Saxo it'll probably seem like a palace!

Are you looking at a TDi Audi, or the petrol? In terms of mileage, I bought my 1997 (R) Passat TDi 100bhp at 131,000 miles in mid-April, and have taken it to 142,000 with no major problems. You would have to expect that money needs to spent, as components will fail on a car with high miles. My bugbear has been front suspension, which on VAG cars appears to be vastly more complicated and expensive than any other car on the planet! Engine wise, I believe that with regular TLC, my TDi is capable of 250,000+.

306? Wouldn't know - but I believe the handling is pretty good. Again though, with it being French, expect a low quality interior.

Cheers,

DB
mid size car for 3 grand? - Mapmaker
Audis (certainly of that vintage before we end up on the Which thread..) are good for many many miles.

I'd buy this one. But under your budget, but... cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...1

I should think you could get one to your spec for about half your budget if you keep your eyes open cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...1
mid size car for 3 grand? - blank
You could get an early Focus for that money. Admittedly it will be 100k miles+ but that won't be a problem if it's been looked after well and not driven by an idiot or two. Good fun to drive IMO and might be a reasonable successor to the Saxo. Go for one with Aloys and a/c obviously.
mid size car for 3 grand? - CJay{P}
Since you seem include an A4 and a Xsara in a 'mid size' category (IMHO A4 is a much bigger car), why not consider a Mondeo? For 3K you will get V or W plate car with not a lot of miles, and can expect at least another 100K of trouble free motoring.
mid size car for 3 grand? - DavidHM
I've just bought an N plate 406 which looks and drives like new, had 96k on it when I bought it, and has the 1.9 turbo diesel engine. I paid £1,800 - although I do a relatively big mileage and I was more than willing to pay the diesel premium.

A £3k Mondeo is an excellent buy though, especially if it's at least a 99 and isn't a diesel - these are a bit agricultural. The 406 is a classier car but it isn't necessarily right for everyone, as much as I like mine.
mid size car for 3 grand? - Dulwich Estate
I have had 3 Audi A4 cars now - all bought new and sold at 3 years. Boring I know.

I would be petrified to consider running one after 3 years old - I reckin it could be mighty expensive to keep going.

IMHO I'd go for a much newer Mondeo or similar.
This was intended intended as a correction "reckon" for "reckin". But maybe "reckin it" isn't so far wrong.
mid size car for 3 grand? - JohnPug
Running a car thats over 3 years old and not new, is a lot cheaper than the depreciation you get on a brand new car. As long as you pick your car carefully, most cars can last a long time.
I have a 96P 306, in the last 18 months it has cost me £300 in parts (2 new headlights and a catalyst). I would term that as cheap motoring.
I could live on a park bench to save money. Maybe I might upgrade to a tent. However I prefer an expensive house.

As I've said before yesterday's newspaper is free - why buy one today?
mid size car for 3 grand? - Mapmaker
Horses for courses, Dulwich. Footy 72 enjoys camping...

I think it would be foolish & naive to encourage somebody with not a lot of money to buy and run a new car or to read tomorrow's paper today.
mid size car for 3 grand? - Rosanbo
The A4 diesel 100/110 are both used by taxi drivers upto 300K / 7 years old and probably more.

I doubt a focus would last as long.

Most people have the problem of
a) not knowing what is wrong with the car to fix it
b) not knowing a good cheap back street garage who will tell you whats wrong and fix it for you.
mid size car for 3 grand? - MichaelR
Has to be a Mondeo in my opinion. 6 months ago I paid under 3 grand for a V plate 2.0 Ghia X in great condition - and it's prooven to be an excellent car for those last 6 months. It's smooth, quiet, comfortable, economical and reliable and loaded with kit like leather seats, cruise control, air conditioning, trip computer, CD changer, heated front screen.

It's a pleasure to drive and looks like it cost twice what it did.

I'm very happy - but obviously now I've said its reliable sods law dictates something will go wrong :D

web.onetel.com/~rodge/car/
mid size car for 3 grand? - footy_72
Well, i got home from work on friday, and in the local paper was a Xsara 1.8i 16v Exclusive for sale. So i went and had a look, and ended up buying it.

68k miles on a t plate, and with all the electronic gizmos (and they all work!) went for a 250 mile drive yesterday, and i love it - handles well, supremely comfortable and quiet, and loads of room in the boot for even for 2 bodyboards, wetsuits, picnic etc...

very happy.

thanks for the advice - mondeo is a bit too big right now, and my mates might think i was planning a family if i bought one of them!!