What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Changing Tastes - Cardew(USA)
The Business section of the local newspaper - coastal Florida - lists the top 15 selling vehicles in the area. They are:

1. Hyundai Elantra
2. Honda Accord
3. Honda Civic
4. Hyundai Sonata
5. Toyota Camry
6. Hyundai Sante Fe
7. Nissan Frontier
8. Ford Explorer
9. Toyota Corolla
10. Honda Odessey
11. Hyundai Accent
12. Mercury Grand Marquis
13. Toyota Tundra
14. Toyota Tacoma
15. Ford F-150

A pretty uninspiring selection for sure, but it does illustrate how much Japan and Korea are dominating the market. Also only one - the Mercury - standard American 'barge'.
Changing Tastes - carl_a
So Hyundai have the best selling car and SUV, this must be a special area as there aren?t any GM products. They must also take a lot of notice of JD power & consumer reports as all those models are the near the top in the surveys.
Changing Tastes - THe Growler
Cardew which "coastal Florida?"

I was on the W. Coast of FL a while back (Crystal River/Homosassa/Tampa area) and there seemed to be more Hummers than anything else! Maybe its just they're more noticeable...
Changing Tastes - Cardew(USA)
Cardew which "coastal Florida?"
I was on the W. Coast of FL a while back
(Crystal River/Homosassa/Tampa area) and there seemed to be more Hummers than
anything else! Maybe its just they're more noticeable...

The other side - the Atlantic. About 15 miles South of Cocoa Beach. Whatever their merits, mainly in the Military? Hummers are really ugly!
Changing Tastes - uk2usa
Here in AZ I see a lot of Hyundai's as well as the usual Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. The preferred transportation of the young Hispanic guys appears to be old shape Lincoln towncars or Crown Victorias, usually lowered fully onto the bump stops with small diameter, extra wide gold wheels protruding from the wheelarches. A similar operation is performed on their pickup trucks by removing leaves from the leaf spring suspension, thereby significantly reducing the load carrying capacity.
Changing Tastes - Sprice
Civics, Accords, Corollas and Camrys are also popular in the US, another popular car, the Jetta, is starting to lose a lot of sales due to persistent niggles that seems to affect the entire VW range, especially those built in Mexico!
Changing Tastes - carl_a
The US sales figures for July are out, for the first time Toyota sold more vehicles than DaimlerChrysler. Most companies had reduced sales, the exceptions were Toyota 14% more, Hyundai 6%, Nissan 31%, Suzuki 27% and DaimlerChrysler 2%.

Seems that Toyota can do no wrong at the moment, they are increasing Prius production by 50% to meet demand and they aren't reducing prices while Ford and GM are.

Hyundai have their new US factory opening soon and several new models so they should have a big increase in sales next year.
Changing Tastes - carl_a
I incorrectly stated in the post above that Toyota sold more cars last month than DaimlerChrysler, in fact the figures I was using didn't include Mercedes-Benz and so DaimlerChrysler are still ahead of Toyota (but only by 8000 cars).