What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - scott bell

Hi,

Just bought a second hand 2001 ford focus for 6K. So now have two cars, and a 5 years no claim.

I was able to get my 5 years on both cars, but now, feel with two cars, it i am in a bash with one, i could be in trouble.

It will cost me £50 per year per car for a no claims cover insurance, which means i am allowed 2 bashes in 3 years, and can keep the no claims.

Anyone got any thoughts/experiences?

It is all a question of risk vs money vs peace of mind.
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - BazzaBear {P}
OK, so they've allowed you 5 years no claims on both cars, but surely they're still two seperate policies? So having a crash with one will only lose you the NCD from that policy?
Of course you'll still have to declare having had an accident or a claim for the other, but should keep the NCD.
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - frostbite
In my experience you are extremely fortunate to have found a co. that will do this.

My protestations that 'I can only drive one at a time' etc., got me nowhere and I was told I would have to earn ncb on the new motor.
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - Rosanbo
Wow that was nice of them to give you that, who are you with?

Ask them if you have 5 ncb on both policies and what happens if you have a couple of claims. Do the policies work independently?

It is all personal choice, and weighing up the cost savings etc. I have never taken NCB protection, because, if you have a claim you only drop 2 years and the money you saved by not having the protection, will sometimes (depending on your circumstances) easily pay for an increase in premium as a result of losing the full NCB.

I also have 9years at last renewal, 10 years this coming renewal, NC. and I make sure I get a letter saying so from the insurer. Because when geting quotes some insurers have up to 9 years no claims discount, e.g. Frizzell. When I get quotes I'm quite often told no-one gives more than 5 years. Or "no one gives more than five years - except us we give 6" - can't remember what company said that to me. I always reply "actually some go up to 9 years"
---
was kev_is_here
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - ShereKhan
"More Than" will quote with more than 5 years. It still doesn't help with the price though. I have found Zurich are still cheaper than More Than even when taking in account my 7 years NCB.

--
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - Stuartli
If you are unhappily prone to having the odd bump or two annually then the answer is yes.

I don't bother and have never had to make a claim (even that was on a company's insurance) for 15 years.

I switched to DirectLine for my Bora's insurance last year as its Group 6 fully comp cover was the cheapest I could find and matched what I was previously paying for a Group 10 Jetta; ironically DirectLine had always been the dearest quote previously.

Renewal date was earlier this month and the premium, amazingly, had come down nearly £20 to £176.

Apparently part of the reason is that my NCD had gone from 65 to 70 per cent because I'm regarded as a mature driver of 50 or over and entitled to at least five years no claim discount.

Strange, as I will have been eligible for this for at least 13 years...:-)
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - ShereKhan
Unfortunately i'm in the wrong age band. I drive a group 14 car and I'd like to continue to drive cars that fall into high insurance group bands. I pay that little extra so that I can. For the record i'm 28 and pay £518. I would not be able drive the same car if I lost my NCB (touch wood)that it doesn't happen as I have yet to have an accident.

--
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - BazzaBear {P}
I would not be able drive the same car if
I lost my NCB

Then you've answered your own question. I protect my NCB, for exactly the same reason. If I were to lose what I have, I wouldn't be able to drive the cars I want to.
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - Mark (RLBS)
Generally I agree, but don't feel too safe.

Assuming you have 60% bonus, in the event of a claim this would drop to 40% if not protected.

If you stay with the same policy this will not happen. If you try and change you may [usually] find that another insurer will only give you 40%.

Also, whilst the discount rate may remain the same, all too frequently the base premium will increase.

e.g.

Base Premium £100, 60% NCD, Net premium £40

Accident unprotected NCD

Base premium £100, 40% NCD, Net premium £60

Accident protected NCD

Base premium £150, 60% NCD, Net premium £60

Its not usually that clear cut and it doesn't neccessarily happen, but you should bear in mind that the amount of NCD discount is far less relevant than the bottom line which you pay.
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - Martin Wall
I had about 6 or 7 years no claims (NCB guaranteed) when I was hit by a driver that my insurance rcompany couldn't get any money from. Hence it was a claim on my policy but as they said it wasn't my fault they didn't charge me an excess.

That was just under two years ago.

Last week I managed to pull part detach and twist part of my front bumper due to a metal drainpipe in a car park and a misjudgement on my part.

I had planned to pay for the fix myself to avoid another claim on my policy but at quotes of £700 approx I don't think I'll bother as the car's only worth £1500.

What I don't understand is can I shop around for insurance even with what will be two claims in just under 2 years? Everybody wants no claims for x years so will I be stuck with my current insurer?

thanks
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - Mapmaker
course you can! Much as they want to have 25 years accident-free motoring, they also want your business... Just don't expect them all to be welcoming.
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - Martin Wall
Follow-up question:

Ok so I make a claim and I have a guaranteed NCB - the premium will rise because of the claim but I will still get the discount.

Question is will the premium rise corresponding to the amount of the claim - for example if the claim is for damage to the value of £500 or £1500 will the premium rise be different in each case?
>>will the premium rise corresponding to the amount of the claim

Not really and not usually. The value of the claim has some slight effect, as do the type and circumstances of the claim. But the accidents would have to differ significantly to cause a different treatment.

is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - scott bell

Hi,

Thanks for everyones comments.

The insurance company who gave me 40% on adding a car was admiral.

I was with another company, and they refused to give me any nda on a new car, hence the move to admiral. They agreed.

But, word of advice. Admiral start a conversation by asking "what have you been quoted so far"

Always just say, "lets just wait and see what you best price is first"

I am sure if i had told admiral the other price, i would not have got the deal i got. £500 for two cars! amazing for someone under 30.
As far as I am aware Admiral is not an insurance company par se but a broker; for that reason it takes a percentage of your premium as its financial return.

It could be worth a search on the Internet requesting quotes direct from companies such as Churchill, DirectLine, MoreThan etc and seeing if they can do any better.

I do this every year, no matter who I'm with, and if the premuium is due to go up can usually find another insurer without having to pay extra or, even, a little less - even a £10 M and S voucher is a "reduction!"

Up to last year I had been with AXA for three years. It proved a cost effective alternative and I did it by phone after receiving a flyer through the post. Price was £155 and I got an M and S voucher...

The following year the premium went up. Online trawling didn't provide much benefit so, just out of interest, I keyed my info into AXA's website. To my amazement it came up more than £20 cheaper and with an M and S voucher.

So I rang AXA and asked the reason for the discrepancy. Turned out there's a difference, due to operational costs, between the phone service and the online departments.

The latter works in a different building and the savings are able to be passed on to customers.

However, last year DirectLine came up with the best premium and I swapped. This year, as I stated earlier, this has actually come down. It's the first time this has happened as far as I can recall in 40 years' motoring and six years on two wheels before that.
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - martint123
MoreThan say in their policy:-

If you have maximum no claim bonus protection, the following will apply.
* We will not reduce your no claim bonus if a claim or claims are made under the policy.
* We will not increase your premium as a result of a claim or claims under the policy.
* We will not cancel your policy as a result of the number of claims made under the policy.

When I got a quote, NCD protection was a freebie, not sure if that is because I have max ncd and/or I'm an ancient git. For me, they were the cheapest quote this year - not as a renewal - I came back as a 'new' customer and got internet and introductory discount.
>MoreThan say...

Which is a pretty damned good approach, and unlikely to be bettered. I wonder if it will become more common.

Mind you, its such a flat-out statement that I do kind of wonder if there is something else somewhere given them a let out.
I found some details of MoreTh>n\'s offer at:

tinyurl.com/6tsju

It\'s not clear on its own home page about all the details of the offer.
Stuartli wrote:
I found some details of MoreTh>n's offer at:
It's not clear on its own home page about all the
details of the offer.

They list the 3 gaurantees, seems self explanatory to me, do you mean they don't show the small print? Maybe there isn't any. You did realise all that stuff under the 3 gaurantees was quotes from other insurance company policy wordings e.g. Direct Line.

About "MoreThan" I have found them to live up to their name, they allways quoted me a premium morethan most of the other quotes I recieved. If I went with morethan, I'd probably spend about 280 pounds whereas the cheapest I found was about 180.

I will give them another chance to quote on my upcoming renewal. Because I do like the sound of this protected scheme.
---
was kev_is_here
I've been pondering this.

Insurance companies, to an extent, control their underwriting profits/losses by a number of measures, including the disallowance of bonuses and the loading of base premiums.

It stands to reason that if they have a number of expenses, they need to recover it somewhere.

If Morethan are preventing themselves from doing this, I can only wonder if they are playing with base premiums, loyalty discounts and excesses.
If Morethan are preventing themselves from doing this, I can only
wonder if they are playing with base premiums, loyalty discounts and
excesses.

The gaurantee does not say your premium will not go up. It says your premium will not go up as a result of your accident. So every year premiums will increase, presumably, the cost of the scheme will be shared by all policyholders. Their premiums are relatively high anyway, so they can afford it.

FWIW I reccommend Tesco online. 2 years in a row they have been the cheapest (for me) and you can fiddle about to your hearts content with all the 'extras' and excesses. They sometimes give 1500 clubcard points too (usually around September).

And if you see a car on the road that you don't recognise just take down the reg no. Enter it at Tesco motor insurance, and it will tell you what the make and model of that car is.
---
was kev_is_here
>>They list the 3 gaurantees, seems self explanatory to me, do you mean they don't show the small print? Maybe there isn't any. You did realise all that stuff under the 3 gaurantees was quotes from other insurance company policy wordings e.g. Direct Line.>>

You obviously didn't read far enough - there's more than one page.

I wasn't knocking More Th>n in any way, only that I couldn't find any reference to the NCB protection offer perhaps being a freebie.

As for keying in your registration etc into an insurance group's website (by another forum member) this is usually the case with all (most) of them.

You could, of course, use the websites that offer to search insurance companies for the cheapest insurance available; however, these websites rely on taking a percentage or referral sum from such seaches (in common with brokers) so such costs have to be added to all premiums overall in the end.

I find it easier to do the searching myself.

Just as an aside, if anyone is keen on checking out cars, here's a VIN checker (FOC):

www.autobaza.pl/ab/en/web/productaa0100

Interesting to look up your old cars...:-)

You obviously didn't read far enough - there's more than one
page.
I wasn't knocking More Th>n in any way, only that I
couldn't find any reference to the NCB protection offer perhaps being
a freebie.

I did read it all, I thought you were saying you found the triple gaurantee confusing. I see now you were looking for the free NCB protection which the other BR'er claims he recieved as an introductory offer. Well maybe they don't give it away for free anymore.
---
was kev_is_here
is no claims bonus insurance worth it? - martint123
Mind you, its such a flat-out statement that I do kind of wonder if there is something else somewhere given them a let out.

You cynic you..... there is an exclusion clause lower down....

1 Your maximum no claim bonus protection may end if we are told of a change in your circumstances that makes you ineligible or if the policy runs out or is cancelled under the terms.
2 Your premium may change if we are told about a change in your circumstances or when you renew the policy because we have increased premiums generally.

As I said, they were the lowest quote of the well known insureres when I searched and the ncd protection was at no extra cost. - I'm trying my best not to test it though.

Martin
The insurance company who gave me 40% on adding a car
was admiral.

Just to be pedantic, in my books 40% is not 5 years ncb - it is 3 years. It may be 5 years/40% for Admiral and they have 50% in year 6 and 60%in year 7.

I remember when I was young Admiral were a great help with their 10 month policies, earning ncb quicker. But I was always careful to work out that I was getting the best deal... i.e. cost of insurance per day, and then 'factor-in' the fact that in months 11 and 12 you will have 'x%' amount more ncb.
---
was kev_is_here