What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Ghia X or Zetec? - Trevski
Having finally had enough of my Peugeot 405 GTX (2nd head gasket in 80,000 miles) and a new job 50 miles away from home I have decided that:-

1) Now is the time to stop spending £1500 on my next car.

2) Bite the bullet and go diesel.

I think I have made my mind up to go for a 2.0 TDCI 130bhp Mondeo hatch on a 03 or 53 plate, slighty confused at this point in what the real differences are between a Zetec or the Ghia X. One seems to quote 6 gears the other I guess is 5.

I assume the Zetec is a \"different\" diesel spec and the Ghia X is trim level?

But which one should I go for? Is there any real difference?

I am looking for some performance (assuming the 130 bhp will deliver) but if I choose to cruise hopefully will get some decent mpg.

Any advice from anyone would be most gratefully received
Ford Mondeo Ghia X or Zetec? - LeePower
Hi

Zetec is the sporty trim level, & Ghia X is the top trim level with the naff fake plastic wood on the dash & all the toys.

Ford Mondeo Ghia X or Zetec? - Hawesy1982
You will enjoy the TDCi 130, my dad has one and it's very very quick in real-life driving.

I think Ford changed from 5 speed to 6 speed on the diesels somewhere around the 03-53 period, presumably the 6 speed is better but my dad's is 5 speed and he doesn't seem too bothered.

The mpg is usually around 45mpg when going 2 miles to ASDA and back, over 50 is acheived on a motorway even with five people and a boot-full of luggage.
Ford Mondeo Ghia X or Zetec? - Stuartli
The Zetec version of the Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo etc normally have lowered sports suspension - Ghias are luxury versions of basic models. Zetec S models go a bit further down the sporty route.

Depends whether you want a bit of fun or just to cruise contentedly...:-)

Fords from some time back badged as Zetec had the then new multi-valve engines.
Ford Mondeo Ghia X or Zetec? - KeithJ
I bought my 03 5 speed TDCi 130 Ghia X estate last year from Trade sales for £16200 including Thatcham alarm. Its now done 24000 miles and apart from a few little niggles its been great. Actually almost great cos the fuel economy isn't what I expected but none the less its still pretty good (~40mpg). The power from the engine is everything you've probably read about; exceptional for a diesel and easily a match for a 2.0L petrol. In fact the mid speed / high gear acceleration on A roads and motorways is generally better and makes overtaking very easy and safe. Noise is relatively good with only a bit of diesel rattle when cold. However the noise is much quieter and more pleasant than our fleet VW PD130 Passats. The trim level is okay but the version I got from Trade Sales is rather basic for a Ghia X.

As an automotive NVH engineer, we had the opportunity to test an 04 TDCi 130 Ghia X hatch a few weeks back and this was fitted with a 6 speed box. The extra gear is really effective and the ratio's seem to have been adjusted down meaning the acceleration in lower gears appeared to be better than in my own 5 speed car.

The handling was generally better though I expected this to be the case over an estate; very taught and precise. Interior trim has changed completely and now featured a sophisticated Sony CD mulitplayer system over the 03 version Ford 6006 unit. The appearence has generally improved inside anbd looks kind of "space agey". Seats now boast cooling as well as heating facility. Both seats are now powered though I find the controls a bit cumbersome.

I can't speak for the Zetec version but after driving the 04 Ghia X, I wish I'd had the option of buying one this year instead of last year. Overall I think mine is great however and after testing numerous different vehicles in relation to interior / Exterior Noise & vibration, I find the Mondeo difficult to beat.

Hope this helps

Keith
Ford Mondeo Ghia X or Zetec? - IanJohnson
If it is a private purchase and the indications are 40mpg is all the 130 delivers why pay the premium for a diesel?

I tried the 115 and the 130 and found little difference for everyday use apart from the 130 being short of torque (born out by Diesel Car's chipping of a 130), the six speed box being an annoyance and the 130 being VERY easy to stall. Economy was disapointing.

Went for an Accord Tourer that is achieving more than 50mpg. Better spec than the Ghia and combined lease and tax the same!
Ford Mondeo Ghia X or Zetec? - flatfour
I haven't driven a ghia, but.... the seats are really poor in the zetec, you can feel the springs in the seat backs, they also become uncomfortable after an hour or so. Try feeling the thickness of the seat back you will be very suprised.
Ford Mondeo Ghia X or Zetec? - Quinny100
I have been driving my 2002 Mondeo Zetec TDCi 130 for a week now and I'm made up with it.

I've found the Zetec seats extremely comfortable and I've been driving 4 hours at a time on a few occasions. I'm 6ft 3 and 17 stone and I don't have any problems feeling the seat springs through the seat.

My car is returning 48mpg over mixed use with a fair bit of motorway work but a fair few runs demonstrating how quick it is to friends :)

I'd go for the diesel over the petrols simply because its a better drive - the TDCi is faster and smoother than a 2.0 petrol, with the advantage you don't have to rev it to get the performance.

As for the TDCi being easy to stall, yes they are if you're not used to them. I stalled the first one I test drove twice, but having driven 2 more since then I've never done it again - you soon get used to giving the accelerator a prod when moving off.

Cons - its a big car, much bigger than a Mk2. Its not cumbersome to manoever, but you need a awareness of the cars size when in tight spaces and knowing where the corners are is tricky. I may well invest in some parking sensors for mine in the near future. The other issue is traction - the TDCi kicks out so much torque you can spin the wheels in 3rd gear in wet so a little restraint on the throttle is needed. It caught me out coming off a roundabout joining a motorway.
Ford Mondeo Ghia X or Zetec? - cheddar
Hi, I have had my 02 Ghia X TDCi 130 from new now 77k miles, the suspension set up is basically the same on Zetec's and Ghia/Ghia X's though the Ghia X has 17" wheels, also sun roof, leather, CD changer, cruise control, trip computer etc etc.

Great handling, relaxed at slow speeds though really tightens up as you press on, goes like stink and regular 50 mpg, reckon 5 speed is better, the 6th ratio on the 6 speed is a bit to high so you can get bogged down in top at below 45 - 50mph where the 5 speed pulls like a train from 40 ish.

Re comment about the 130 being short on torque, infact it produces more torque than any other 2.0l diesel, a whopping 25% more torque than the 115.

Cruise control is great, seamlessly takes up drive, infinite control possible.

Re 04 models, even higher spec though dash material is not as nice, being leather effect all over where as mine has has a carbon effect pattern around the drivers area.