What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Caravans to use a single lane... - just a bloke
I heard on the radio this morning that the gov were intending to make caravans use a single lane on multiple lane carriageways.

Putting aside the merits or otherwise of this loony idea.

Hasn\'t this gov got better things to do with it\'s time than think up looney motoring related laws?

jab
Caravans to use a single lane... - AN Other
This sounds ace - although why they can't do the same for lorries over most of the motoway network I can't imagine...
Caravans to use a single lane... - Altea Ego
Before you all start blowing a fuse lets look at it

1/ Its limited to an uphill stretch of the M5 (past bristol I think)
2/ It will be limited to peak periods
3/ Its only a suggestion that will signed, not a law or offence

Frankly I think the idea has merit based on the three points above.
Caravans to use a single lane... - NowWheels
Putting aside the merits or otherwise of this loony idea.

calling it "loony" doesn't exactly sem to be putting aside the merits!

Aren't caravans speed-restricted? So isn't it sensible to prevent them clogging up the faster lanes? Most caravan drivers seem to stick to the inside lane anyway.
Caravans to use a single lane... - Garethj
A good plan, but only last week I saw a big van doing 55 in the middle lane, what should the caravan owner doing 60 in the inside lane do?

He pulled into the middle lane, but I think the last time the van driver looked in his mirror, there was a Ford Anglia in it.

Lane discipline is appaling anyway, why not try to do a better job with what we have already?
Caravans to use a single lane... - PhilW
RF is right - it is only on a limited stretch. Having said that, I think it is a good idea. Both trucks and caravans should be restricted from overtaking and from using the middle lane on uphill stretches on motorways especially at peak times. Then perhaps those mobile road blocks caused by two trucks, (or by the old Transit pulling an even older caravan) as I experienced on the M1 last night, would be reduced. It works in France - why not here?
P.S. I'm a caravanner so not having a dig!
Caravans to use a single lane... - NowWheels
Both trucks and caravans should be restricted from overtaking and from using
the middle lane on uphill stretches on motorways especially at peak times.

excellent idea!
Caravans to use a single lane... - terryb
Phil

But you will know the only really safe time for a caravan to overtake a truck is on an uphill stretch. As caravan limits are higher than trucks this is feasible and logical, and a well-matched and loaded car/caravan outfit will do it without holding anyone up (as I do). French motorways of course usually have "crawler lanes" for slow-movers on steep hills so the comparison isn't quite fair.

So, claiming it's in "the interests of road safety" as the Government is doing is arrant nonsense. It's just nanny flexing her muscles again.
--
Terry
Caravans to use a single lane... - No Do$h
and a well-matched and loaded car/caravan outfit will do it
without holding anyone up

And there lies the rub. How many caravans/cars are well-matched and loaded?
Caravans to use a single lane... - BrianW
And how do you define a caravan?
Mine is a folder, so lower than a car with corresponding reduced wind resistance and enhanced stabilty.
Is it a van in that configuration or a trailer?
Caravans to use a single lane... - PhilW
"But you will know the only really safe time for a caravan to overtake a truck is on an uphill stretch. As caravan limits are higher than trucks this is feasible and logical, and a well-matched and loaded car/caravan outfit will do it without holding anyone up (as I do). French motorways of course usually have "crawler lanes" for slow-movers on steep hills so the comparison isn't quite fair."

I take your point - certainly safer than overtaking going downhill - perhaps a "minimum speed limit" in centre lane could overcome this problem?
Also re. "crawler lanes" in France - have you noticed how they become the inside lane when they finish hence trucks and 'vans don't have to filter back in, hence no reluctance to use them. The crawler lanes in UK and especially on the M25 require trucks/'vans to filter back into an often faster moving and crowded "inside"lane hence drivers are reluctant to use them.

Caravans to use a single lane... - Sofa Spud
When you get the 2 trucks side by side syndrome, maybe the overtaking driver thinks he's got the oomph to pass the other one. However a subtle change in gradient can show up differing performance characteristics between trucks due to power, gearing or the weight being carried. Maybe the inner truck might be going slower but doesn't lose speed on a gradient so rapidly as the overtaker. Then the overtaker might think he'd cause more disruption by slowing and pulling back in behind the vehicle he's passing.

Cheers
Caravans to use a single lane... - CG
BrianW asks if his folder is a caravan or trailer - to which the answer is - they are both treated exactly the same on motorways - ie max speed 60mph and barred from the outer lane on 3 and 4-lane motorways. For those who instinctively like to sound off against caravanners I do wish they would remember that not only is the motorway speed limit lower, they are also limited to 50mph on single-carriageway roads. This is as much the cause of so-called queues these days where engines are far more powerful and capable of better towing performance than those of, say, 20-30 years ago. Half the problem is the ignorance about the lower limits, and the other half is caused by the inability of the following driver on a generally straight road to see that the vehicle ahead of the caravan is dawdling, thus creating the impression that it's all the fault of the caravan tower!

I have to say that the report in the press today was rather silly in stating that caravans restricted to the inner lane would be obstructed by lorries limited to 56mph - but that's only 4 mph below the caravan/trailer limit anyway so not really a big deal in my experience.

However, if you really want to get stuck behind something, try a horse-box!

CG
Caravans to use a single lane... - Robbie
the
other half is caused by the inability of the following driver
on a generally straight road to see that the vehicle ahead
of the caravan is dawdling, thus creating the impression that it's
all the fault of the caravan tower!
However, if you really want to get stuck behind something, try
a horse-box!

Even better, try a motorhome.

Most, not all, are grossly under-powered, and when they are in convoys it's most frustrating.

The other bone of contention is the driver of a small car who doesn't like to be overtaken by a caravan, and persistently drives at 40mph. Once overtaken he will get past you and then drop back to 40mph.
Caravans to use a single lane... - BazzaBear {P}
Then the overtaker might think he'd cause
more disruption by slowing and pulling back in behind the vehicle
he's passing.

You'd hope he'd learn that wasn't the case after the 10,000th time though ;)