What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tax Exemt Vehicles - Sofa Spud
When the previous Tory government originally introduced tax exemption for old vehicles, I think it applied to vehicles over 20 years old. Then Labour fixed the cut-off point at 1973, and there it's stayed.
Is there a case now for returning to a rolling cut off date, applying the exemption to vehicles over 30 years old?

The 20 year limit probably exempted many old bangers that were hanging on for a year or two before going to the scrapyard. However a 30 year limit would not include many such vehicles.
Some of the over 30's may be tatty, but they're usually kept for interest by enthusiasts.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Tax Exemt Vehicles - BrianW
It was 25 years.
Scrapped by Gordon in 1998, hence the 1973 cut-off.
Another spiteful little act from our favourite Scot.
Tax Exemt Vehicles - Sofa Spud
Oh well, 25 years then. Sorry!

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Tax Exemt Vehicles - Hugo {P}
A friend of mine who is a classic car nut told me that he had read in a classic car mag that the Tories were thinking of bringing in permanent taxation for all vehicles, and the tax exemption for older vehicles was possibly a concession as these were the majorety of vehicles that were often off the roads for long periods of time undergoing restoration.

Instead we ended up with the SORN system for cars that are not taxed. Phew!

H
Tax Exemt Vehicles - martint123
I recall that Hugo, threatening that all vehicles at all times had to be taxed - even if they were a box of rust eaten bits.
Tax Exempt Vehicles - Cliff Pope
Of course a SORNed car may also be a box of rust eaten bits too.
When I was in the process slowly dismantling a spare car that was not worth repairing, I asked the DVLA at what point I should stop declaring SORN and instead declare that I had scrapped it.
The answer was that there is no clearly-defined line, but a car is generally considered to be "scrap" when its owner no longer has any intention of ever putting it back into working order. So on my racks of dismantled parts I have bits of scrapped cars nestling with identical bits of a SORNed one.
It's a mad world.
Tax Exemt Vehicles - pdc {P}
Grenhayes nick in Manchester also STILL think that they are exempt from displaying tax discs!