What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vectra C SRi - Looking for quieter tyres - svpworld
I've got a 2003 Vectra SRi, 2.2DTi and a fabulous car. For those of you familiar with it, it has the stock Goodyear Eagle NCT5 215/50R17 91W.

As the front tyres are coming up for replacement, I would like to find something a little more comfy and most important, quiet.

The Goodyears seem to be an excellent all round tyre, but they are very noisy on certain surfaces.. Anyone know of a quieter alternative in the 215/50 17 sizes? I did try pirelli p6000's on the omega and they were pretty good, but not necessarily ideal.

THanks
SImon

I\'ve got Bridgestone\'s fitted on my Vectra C. They\'re a lot quieter than the Firestones I had fitted on my previous Vectra B.
Mine\'s got 16\" wheels, and the Bridgestone\'s fitted are the originals from new. I can\'t hear any road noise until I get up to 70mph and onwards.

Vectra C SRi - Looking for quieter tyres - svpworld
Nice to hear from you Dave, I surely miss this place!

Bridgestones, I've heard some good reports on these, but I know the 215/50 17 wheel size isnt so popular. I guess the SRi is probably going to transmit more rubber noise because of (a) the low profile tyres and (b) the stiffer suspension ?

S.

I've been on the phone to my local tyre fitter to see what they can offer. I can replace the existing Goodyears for around £130 a piece, not cheap but I was told they are a good wearing tyre for motorway usage (I do 500 miles a week) and actually a very good compromise. They also told me actually they are a fairly quiet tyre.
I was also offered Dunlop SP3000's for £100 a tyre, I believe these are softer and so possibly quieter and more comfy, but might wear fast. They also mentioned SP900's?
Finally they can do Michelin Pilots, the most expensive at £150 a corner... I have heard some bad reports on these so probably wouldnt risk them for that price.

So.. anyone tried the dunlops? Any comments? Or should I best stick with the original michelins?

Simon

I was at Micheldever Tyres about a month ago to replace two tyres on my Alfa 155, size 205/50x15 V Rated. I asked them to recommend a good handling tyre that was quiet. They fitted Continental PremiumContacts which have proved to be a vast improvement.

The cost for two tyres was £162 which included Laser alignment so about £70 per tyre basic.