Big Brother?s Garage - Round one. - Dynamic Dave

****** Voting over for round one. ******

For the next round, and to see the remaining cars, goto thread:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=23...7

Welcome to Big Brother?s Garage. Along similar lines to Big Brother on Channel 4, there are 12 cars in the garage, and you have to nominate 2 cars that you no longer want in the garage, and give genuine reasons why.

The 12 cars are as follows:-

1. VW Golf.
2. Toyota Landcruiser.
3. Lada Samara.
4. ****** EVICTED Renault 5. ******
5. Ford Mondeo.
6. Alfa 156.
7. Peugeot 405.
8. Seat Leon.
9. Vauxhall Vectra.
10. TVR Tuscan.
11. Perodua Nipper.
12. Citroen 2CV (was formerly a Cit Dyane)

Next Tuesday (6th July), I will attempt to tally up the scores. The cars with fewest votes will remain and the voting process will begin again until we?re left with *hopefully* one (or maybe 2) winner(s).

Well, what are you waiting for? ? off you go.

Remember, nominate two cars only, AND give genuine reasons for eviction.

{Note, slightly amended as some of you might not recognise the Cit Dyane as the 2CV. DD}

Big Brother?s Garage - No Do$h
Renault 5. Doesn't do anything well, depreciated like only a Renault can, poor engines, fragile transmissions, trim made out of paper and spit. Exterior plastics faded to light grey if you shone a torch on them, let alone sunlight. Horrid, horrid car.

TVR Tuscan. No, no, no, no! Who on earth did the styling for that one? Running costs on this car exceed those for a 996, yet you'd struggle to keep the horrid little thing on the road for long enough to find if it could outperform said german uberwagon. A car solely aimed at feckless daddy's boys on a private income and young traders without a clue.
Big Brother?s Garage - Imagos
1=VAUXHALL VECTRA reason= A car that i wouldn't be seen dead in.

2=CITROEN DYANE reason= A car that i wouldn't be seen dead in.
Big Brother?s Garage - Adam {P}
Got to be the:

1. Tuscan first of all for horrible horrible HORRIBLE rear styling - horrible along with horrendous reliability.

2. Peugeot 405 solely based on past experience. It was a good car until one minor thing went wrong - then it all went wrong. It's French as well! Sorry RF!

Those are my nominations.

Big Brother?s Garage - BazzaBear {P}
Golf and Vectra
Because they're both far too common on the roads for me to be vaguely interested in, and are both, in my opinion, too tedious for my attention.
Big Brother?s Garage - AngryJonny
Just my opinion of course...

(1) VW Golf. Just doesn't live up to the hype. Far too expensive for what it is simply because it has a VW badge on it. VW trying to market themselves as a luxury brand: "people will believe us because it's expensive". Give me a Focus and 5 grand change.

(2) Peugeot 405. Just never liked them. I can afford to lose a family saloon from the bunch. Mondeo and Alfa stay, so it's a toss-up between 405 and Vectra. I'll get a better trade-in on the Vectra, so the Pug goes.
Big Brother?s Garage - L'escargot
2=CITROEN DYANE reason= A car that i wouldn't be seen
dead in.

Me neither. I hope that when the time comes I go in better style than that!
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Big Brother’s Garage - teabelly
Lada samara - hideous and dreadful vehicle with no redeeming features. Poor build quality and one of its friends was driven by maureen from driving school :-)

Perodua nipper - it's a vehicle for people that dislike cars and has the build quality of a tin of sardines. The sardines are worth more after 3 years of age...
teabelly
Big Brother’s Garage - Altea Ego
Lada Samara, The russians need it more than we do, plus the rust is jumping to the other cars in the garage

Peruda Nipper, Because Mike Rutherford (years ago) said it was the future of good cheap cars and the japaneese had better watch out, - The mans an idiot
Big Brother?s Garage - andymc {P}
VW Golf - the latest edition may handle better than the last one (although even VW couldn't have got away with doing nothing about that with the new version), but this is the only genuine improvement made on what was an average car. Other criteria for how likely I am to buy a car have all gone in the wrong direction - the prices have gone up, the cabin quality has gone down, and the dealers continue to treat their customers as though they are doing us a favour, mistakenly believing that this is justified by the kudos of their brand.

Ford Mondeo - no matter how much it's praised for its handling and half-decent quality, the styling bores me to tears. For me, it's actually less interesting to look at than the already dull Golf. Also, the Mundano came so late to the diesel party started by Fiat, Peugeot, VW et al that it's almost rude, and even with all the technology being out there for years beforehand they still couldn't get it right (TDCi teething problems anyone?).

Ooh, can't wait for the eviction so I can nominate my next two losers.

PS I suggest not drawing this out over 12 weeks, but an eviction every couple of days or so - otherwise I'll rapidly lose interest and the contestants will just irritate me ...
--
andymc
Big Brother?s Garage - lezebre
lada samara - they'd have been better producing the half decent Riva forever.

Renault 5 - It may have a smiley face, but it's too hard to fix.
Big Brother?s Garage - Avant
I'd go for the ones which are least effective at the job they were designed for. So:

Lada Samara - Skoda does the job better, and so did Lada themselves with the Riva.

Vauxhall Vectra - Ford, VW, Honda, Renault - and Skoda again - do the family barge job better.

I'll be fascinated to know how you came by this particular selection of cars - not complaining, just interested. E.g. Citroen Dyane rather than 2CV.
Big Brother?s Garage - BobbyG
VW Golf - overpriced, thinks it is better than it is, is bought by people who think they are better than they are.

Ford Mondeo - it is good at what it does, eberyone knows this as well, just lacks character. If he was a BB character, he would be Cameron, steady, middle of the road, reliable with no surprises.
Big Brother?s Garage - hobnob
Dear Dinamo Dave. I am sorry but I am not sure that this idea really works; it seems a little, well...ill conceived. Cars are not human and as far as I am aware they are incapable of interaction between one another on any level other than a destructive one. Indeed, I am bemused at how you arrived at such an uninspiring lot and imagine that you must have spent much of the springtime moonlighting as one of the BB selection staff. What are the reasons for these choices? Are these the cars currently owned by your good self and your posse of backroom spoilsports? If so, I am surprised they do not include a "safe and sound" Volvo S90 or a "never been tipsy" Toyota Avensis :o)As to your notion of merely having people look in on a garage full of metal before throwing them out, I think a better idea would be to assign a series of varied tasks, for example...week one...give your mates a lift (will they laugh...yes I'm that shallow!)...week two...drive round central London without getting side swiped by a courier(God I hate 'em)...week three...park overnight in Dover without being vandalised by some envy-ridden oink(I'm not bitter)...week four...knock over a Scouse pedestrian at 20mph without inflicting serious injury (oops). You get the idea! Of course my own choice to win every Big Brother would be the original Mini...absolutely fabulous darling. Sadly (for the viewing public), you never see REAL stars on wannabe shows
Big Brother?s Garage - Dynamic Dave

Hobnob,

it\'s purely for a bit of fun, don\'t take it quite so seriously.

David Duvall, (& others)

My chosen list was purely random and thrown together in a matter of seconds, but slight thought was given to at least four of the cars as they have been, or are currently owned by HJ and the moderators.

Please note that I\'ve amended the Citroen Dyane, (thanks for correct spelling, btw) now it\'s a 2CV as some of you may not have a clue what a Dyane is.

And finally I won\'t let this drag on for 12 weeks. Hopefully by next Friday quite a few will been evicted. This does not mean however that I might put in some new \"housemates\" to stir it up a bit.

Disclaimer:- Big Brother can change the rules at any given time ;o)

Big Brother?s Garage - Imagos

I might put in some new
"housemates" to stir it up a bit.

some new housemates when others get evicted?

Ford Cortina
Vauxhall Chevette
Dodge Viper
Toyota Corolla

Big Brother?s Garage - Andrew-T
DD - interesting list, if a bit quirky. I think you might tighten up a bit on 'Golf' - which Mk.? Could vote for a Mk.2 but wouldn't choose a current model.
Big Brother?s Garage - Algernon
Landcruiser. It will leave more space than anything else.

Tuscan. Because I want it.
Big Brother?s Garage - NARU
Golf - because the dealers are snooty and the car doesn't live up to the hype.

Tuscan - because the only three tuscans I know are used as second cars - not because their owners want to, but (in the words of my neighbour) I'm never quite sure whether it will go.
Big Brother?s Garage - trancer
I had to look up some of the list as I didn't know anything about them, had a devil of a time trying to find a Perodua Nipper, found lots of Nippas though which is what I think you meant.

My choices:

Perodua Nippa, because its ugly and has an easily confused name.

Lada Samara, because its ugly and because childhood memories of the Fiat copy square box versions means that no Lada could ever be of value to me.
Big Brother?s Garage - tr7v8
VW Golf because I get stuck behind far too many TDIs & 1.4 & 1.6s on motorways with people who think its as quick as the VR6 they couldn't or wouldn't afford & think they have a god given right to block the outside lane @60ish MPH (normally M26!)

Vauxhall Vectra because it continued Vauxhalls line of mediocre mid size saloons that are dreadfully bland & boring.

Jim
Big Brother?s Garage - mare
Citroen 2CV - used to love these and very nearly bought one in the early 1990's. But just can't justify them being on the road, far too slow and imagine a crash in one....

Vauxhall Vectra - first one absolutely awful, and second one is soooo ugly.
Big Brother’s Garage - NowWheels
The final tally won't be very revealing, because there are so many different approaches to take.

Anyway, I nominate the Golf and the Landcruiser, cos I want the winner to be the TVR ... so I'll vote to eliminate the others, in order, starting from the top of the list.

BB voting works off a brilliantly irrational combination of prejudice, b*****-mindedness, empathy and tactics, and this year's BB is all about creating conflicts amongst the participants. So I reckon the winner should be the car least-suited to any purpose.

The TVR will make life tough for the people in the BB house. It's unreliable, a brute to drive, and ugly: the perfect accompaniment to a house riven with fist fights and antagonisms. With only two seats there might even be a fight about who gets to use it!

Rather than just voting from the top of the list, I should probably vote tactically, but I'm too lazy to do the tallies. Maybe someone will help out by keeping a running score in the next rounds?
Big Brother’s Garage - dilbert

1)Landcruiser. Too big on the outside, too small on the inside. Polluting, ugly, expensive, vulgar. Utterly pointless car*.

2)Vectra. They're OK, but they're so boring. I don't think that there's a single aspect of the Vectra's design which cannot be beaten by a comparable car. Probably has no friends. Unlike the Vectra, all the other cars on the list are/will be remembered for something.

* unless you genuinely DO tow a huge horsebox regulaly or you DO live miles from a tarmac road in the Scottish highlands.
Big Brother’s Garage - Vansboy
Golf - it's not the car we're told (by VW & their image makers).

TVR - not sure what it was even built for.

VB

Big Brother’s Garage - Vin {P}
1. VW Golf - I am sick of being told that VWs are reliable. The only people who have ever told us that are VW's advertisers, and people believed them. Everyone I know who has owned a VW has had problems, Golfs included.

2. 2CV, mainly because of the eco warriors who drove them despite the fact that they ran only on leaded fuel long after unleaded was available everywhere.

V

PS. Which of the mods (if any) drive the 2CV? Tell me and I'll pop round and duff them up.
Big Brother’s Garage - Adam {P}
Vin makes a good argument. So much so in fact, I would like to change one of my nominations. I still want to keep the Tuscan there but if I could substitute the 405 for the 2CV I would be very happy. Thanks

Adam
Quite right too Adski, the 405 was a wonderous mota.
Big Brother’s Garage - Dynamic Dave
Adski, This is Big Brother.

No nomination change allowed. Your choice of Tuscan and 405 for eviction remains.

Big Brother’s Garage - Adam {P}
Awwwww - Not Fair!!!

Still, those are the rules I suppose but the 405 was a good car...better than the Citreon but that's not saying a great deal!

;-)

Cheers "Big Brother"

Adam
Big Brother’s Garage - andymc {P}
Ooh, the power's gone to DD's head already. Somehow I can only now think of the name "Dynamic Dave" pronounced with a Geordie accent - as in "Daey 32 in the Big Brootha howse. Dynamic Daeve slaps anutha punta fer bein too clevah feriz own good".

Sorry, I just can't write a Geordie accent!
--
andymc
Nah thats good - it works on paper.
Big Brother’s Garage - BazzaBear {P}
Unlike the Vectra, all the other cars on the
list are/will be remembered for something.

Surely, if nothing else, the Vectra will be remembered for re-designing indicator stalks. Something we were all crying out for, what with them being so hard to use originally.
Big Brother?s Garage - Mark (RLBS)
Renault 5 for the most plasticky, breakable, creaky interior and dash ever.

Ford Mondeo - basically a very good car but soooo boring.
Big Brother?s Garage - HF
Andy I love your BB accent. Many minutes have been spent in the HF household trying to emulate it - and no, of *course* we don't watch it.

My nomineeyshuns go to:

the TVR Tuscan, and
the Perodua Nipper,

because I haven't heard of either of them, and have certainly never been a passenger in them.

That's no worse a reason than many of those from the BB house (which I will emphasise again, I do not watch.) ;)
Just to reinforce an earlier point...

Renault 5

& Renault 5

Hateful little piles of merde.
Big Brother?s Garage - Altea Ego
Dynamic? there is severe vote rigging going on here, mostly at the hands of a biased tractor driver.
Dynamic? there is severe vote rigging going on here, mostly at
the hands of a biased tractor driver.

RF, have no fear. I'm keeping a tally using an Excel spreadsheet and updating it everytime there's a new post in this thread. I'm also including non voting threads in the sheet, then it's adding the whole lot up and so far is matching the total number of posts that this thread has achieved so far.

DD.

ps, So far there's only one car not to have received any nominations, and one car that has the most nominations - both of which I am quite surprised about. Not that I'm trying to influence the voting at all ;o)

pps, I've now brought the eviction(s) forward to this Tuesday, instead of Friday.

May I suggest you use some form of macro to count the number of times a word is used? For example every time Perodua Nipper appeared then the macro would capture Perodua Nipper. This could be transfred to a Perodua Nipper column, where the total number of times Perodua Nipper appeared would be calculated. you could also account for Perodua or Nipper by modifying the Perodua Nipper calculation. you could call it the Perodua Nipper macro?
I'm sure that in accordance with good practice, the returning officer will disqualify all the votes cast by anyone who has attempted to rig the ballot :)

For some reason, it wasn't until you mentioned "evictions" that it dawned one me that there should be a ceremony after each ballot. So who's going to be Davina?
Big Brother?s Garage - Morris Ox
Andy I love your BB accent. Many minutes have been spent
in the HF household trying to emulate it - and no,
of *course* we don't watch it.

HF,

try this to get authentic BB Geordie:

'Hoo gaws - yew desade'
Renault 5 for the most plasticky, breakable, creaky interior and dash
ever.

Nope that award goes to a 1983 Austin Maestro, the dash was held together with visible plastic rivets and studs. It squeeked, groaned and moved about so much I used glue to try and stop it.

The 5 came close tho
Big Brother?s Garage - Cardew
Seat Leon - ersatz VW

Toyota Landcruiser - Too big, too heavy and too thirsty
Big Brother?s Garage - Roberson
My first nomination would be.....

The Ford Mondeo

A blank sheet of paper is more interesting to look at. Not as good as everyone makes them out to be and the deisels are still agracultural. By the time they cover 50000 miles its guarunteed to sound like a tractor. Early ones seem to be affected by rust quicker than many of it rivals. More recalls than just about anything else on the market. When will people learn.

The Vauxhall Vectra.

Look a little more interesting than the Mondeo but still nothing special. Good at its job in some ways, but not good enough to stay.

Roberson
Big Brother?s Garage - Nortones2
1 Perodua: too horrid to contemplate.

2. Toyota Landcruiser: I'm not a farmer/rancher/green wellie wearer.
Big Brother?s Garage - Mad Maxy
Lada and Perodua.

Both irritating and utterly charmless.
Big Brother?s Garage - Febus
Kick out the

VECTRA- for being bad at almost everything other than being cheap to buy, I'm talking old style Vectra here, the new one isn't bad at all

Lada Samara- poor build quality and bad engines/design, an all round stinker.
Big Brother?s Garage - Happy Blue!
Can I tell you the ones i want to keep in before I nominate the ones to throw out.

For design purity i.e. transferring original development brief to hard sheet metal and keeping the idea pure: -

Citroen 2CV - surely the acme of purity of thought - Pierre Boulanger wanted a car that could drive at 50kmh with four people and a basket of eggs on a ploughed field in comfort - thats exactly what he built and on the road, the car was good becuase of it.

TVR Tuscan - simply a raw fast car. Nothing more to say.

OK to throw out

Lada Samara - no redeeming features. I'd rather drive a Maestro Clubman D.

Toyota Landcruiser - all the other cars at least were designed for 98% of our roads. The big Jap is too large and clumsy for all but 5% of them, and thats being generous.

BTW - why has no-one yet slagged of the Alfa; surely a great car let down by dreadful built quality; doesn't that qualify for kicking out.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Big Brother?s Garage - Morris Ox
1) Nipper=kipper. It stinks.

2) Golf. There's only room for one Golf in the BB garage and I prefer the Leon.
Big Brother?s Garage - Vansboy
HJ - Best get a Copyright on this PDQ - before Clarkson nicks the idea & ditches his 'Cool - Un-Cool' wall!!

VB
Big Brother?s Garage - BazzaBear {P}
BTW - why has no-one yet slagged of the Alfa; surely
a great car let down by dreadful built quality; doesn't that
qualify for kicking out.

No Dosh, JaB, do one of you guys want to field this?
I just don't know where to start...

(Oh, and I'd bet this is the car with no nominations with DD is so surprised about.)
Big Brother?s Garage - just a bloke
Citroen 2CV - surely the acme of purity of thought -
Pierre Boulanger wanted a car that could drive at 50kmh with
four people and a basket of eggs on a ploughed field
in comfort

maybe he did want that but Citreon wnated a car that could be made up from the spare parts bin and that's what they built...

JaB
Big Brother?s Garage - econome not speed
Alfa is Italian and there service got very bad press on watchdog services not done correctly not good for resale value they are lemon cars.

Seat Leon If it any thing like the Seat Ibiza my wive had it corroded around her not Volks Wagon Quality on the cheap Regrads Nobby

12:57 am.

The cars filled out their weekly shopping list earlier Sunday evening.

There was uproar in the garage earlier when it was discovered that the Renault 5 had changed the branded fuel on the shopping list for supermarket fuel and also substituted the synthetic oil for that of lesser quality mineral oil.

When confronted by the other garagemates, the Renault 5 in its defence said that it fancied some french bread, brie, and garlic mushrooms for breakfast. By substituting branded fuel for cheaper supermarket petrol and cheaper oil would have made this possible.

The 405 and 2CV sympathised slightly with little Renault 5, being fellow compatriots, but the other garagemates demanded immediate eviction. The Alfa 156\'s engine coughed at the thought of having to drink supermarket fuel, but after an examination by a qualified technician, decided that it just had a dicky MAF sensor and prescribed a dose of Millers additive until a new one could be ordered.

The Renault 5 was called to the Diary room, and after a lenghty discussion with Big Brother it was decided that for its own safety it should leave before things got even nastier.

A new surprise garagemate will join BB\'s Garage on Tuesday. (no suggestions please)

On a lighter note, the 2CV said that it would happily run on paraffin if it could have had a share of the mushrooms. Oh, how the other garagemates chuckled.

BB.

Big Brother?s Garage - v0n
Ford Mondeo - they make British roads look like China. Every company had at least one, they are depreciation disaster and after few years you are almost paid by sellers to take at least one home. Dull like Eastenders, ugly like royal family and badly stitched like supermarket knickers. Motor equivalent to Big Mac. Best in it's class only because it's in that class almost alone.

Lada Samara - it was cold war's last secret weapon unleashed upon west. Dangerous to drive, unsafe to keep. Two more decades and noone will even believe this was a production car at all.
Big Brother’s Garage - malteser
More B.B. news:-
The TVR started a brawl with the Nipper because the program makers wanted to increase viewing figures and it is strongly rumoured that the next episode will involve a steamy meeting of exhaust pipes between two other Garage Mates who are fluttering windscreen wipers at each other.
Keep tuning in, fellow voyeurs !
Roger in Spain
"The Renault 5 was called to the Diary room, and after a lenghty discussion with Big Brother it was decided that for its own safety it should leave before things got even nastier."

This is outrageous manipulation of the contestants, R5 has been set up for obviously gratuitous humiliation and viewer figures, and also smacks of sexism.

Angry of Tunbridge Wells
DD, after the R5's cruel eviction, will two cars still be evicted on tuesday? And will those who voted for the R5 be allowed a further vote?
DD, after the R5's cruel eviction, will two cars still be
evicted on tuesday? And will those who voted for the R5
be allowed a further vote?

And will 13 year old girls with nothing better to do who 'really luv Tuscan coz he's da bom and he's well fit, init?' be able to run up a huge mobile phone bill by serial voting for him?
This is even more exciting that that soap opera Daz are doing.
I should probably add a disclaimer to my 13 year old girl impression. I'm well out of in nowadays and probably no longer know what the latest lingo is on 'da street'. Please don't point out that I'm 'so yesterday' or else I'll break down in tears about how old I am.
And will 13 year old girls with nothing better to do
who 'really luv Tuscan coz he's da bom and he's well
fit, init?' be able to run up a huge mobile phone
bill by serial voting for him?

Sounds like a good way of generating more income for the site :)
DD, after the R5's cruel eviction, will two cars still be
evicted on tuesday? And will those who voted for the R5
be allowed a further vote?

Yes, and Yes.

>> DD, after the R5's cruel eviction, will two cars still
be
>> evicted on tuesday? And will those who voted for the
R5
>> be allowed a further vote?
Yes, and Yes.

After your shooting down of ND in flames, you may want to reconsider your answer to this question...
>> >> And will those who voted for the R5 be allowed a further vote?
>>
>> Yes, and Yes.
>>
After your shooting down of ND in flames, you may want
to reconsider your answer to this question...

Damn, I meant Yes, and No. Long day yesterday, sorry folks.

DD.
Big Brother?s Garage - patently
Tuscan - I was going to drive one round to show you how good it was but the sky clouded over so it span off the road. At least the impact improved its looks.

Vectra - the only (only) car that I have ever driven that has suspension so bad that I feel ill even when driving it.
Big Brother?s Garage - AN Other
Vectra - just a really dull, unpleasant, style free car. It's the automotive equivalent of Primark clothes: better than nothing, but cheap, nasty and offensive by sheer lack of effort.

Lada - the Perodua is probably the better budget hatchback. Unlike the Vectra, the Lada has a few excuses for its awfulness, but one cheap n nasty is enough...
Big Brother?s Garage - Mapmaker
Disappear for a well earned weekend, and you've all gone mad!

This needs some clarification. Are all the cars in 'as new' condition? Or is the Lada up for the Bangernomics nomination? Dirt cheap car; buy 6 for the cost of next week's shopping, and have cars for life (even if the doors are a different colour to the bonnet...)

It's not fair to confuse the Dyane (classic, neatly styled motor) with the 2CV (possibly the most boring looking motor ever built!)

Is that the new Mondeo (bigger than a Granada) or the old one?

Is that the new Golf (bigger than a Passat...) or the Mk i golf?

TVR & Alfa nominated - both far too expensive for good sense!
My favourite thread fell off the front page. This is to
bring it back again. And cut the crap, Mapmaker. Let\'s just
get on with it. If Dynamic want to install this in
the exclusive zone at the top of the page that\'s fine
by me. Maybe could ditch some of the old stuff there.

HJ, and others.

This thread will be closed and locked on Tuesday, early evening and subsequently a new one started shortly afterwards with the remaining garagemates that haven\'t been evicted.

I agree about cutting down on some of the crap that\'s been posted in here, but to delete it would mean I would have to re-adjust my spreadsheet to make the total tally of posts here match it. ie, would take up far too much of my time. *Maybe* once the thread is locked, I\'ll clean it up a little.

DD.
Big Brother?s Garage - Pezzer
Just back from a wet weekend under canvas, what a great idea :-).

"Oh no this is so hard because they are all fantastic and I love them all (fake look of anguish to the camera) but my nominations are:"

Landcruiser because it belongs in the Outback not on the school run.

Alfa - cos I'd probably quite like one but the company wont let me have one 'cos it costs too much to repair etc etc

Big Brother?s Garage - Nsar
Leon

Both complete non-cars - just what to do they set out to be other than to be as unoffensive as possible to the greatest number of pepole? All the others seem to have a purpose
Right, the 5 has gone and I'm allowed a further nomination.

The Golf. A car sold on the merits the advertising department decreed it had, without any of them actually having driven it. Let's face it, a car that gets sold on the basis that it's evolved from the original bearer of the name (Whoo-eee, so the Golf is the only car that's happened to?) is lacking something. Overpriced, overweight and overstocked at your local, unfriendly VW dealer now.

The Tuscan remains on the list, especially after looking at the chameleon painted Tuscan in the car park at the office yesterday. Ick.
Right, the 5 has gone and I'm allowed a further nomination.

No you're not. You've already had your vote. Just hard luck the R 5 got kicked out. Sorry, no dispensations allowed for fellow mods.

However, you're more than welcome to vote in the next round, which happens to be this evening.

Big Brother?s Garage - RichardW
Ooh, 'tis a difficult one....

But:

1. Perodua Nippa. Anybody that is so uninterested in cars that they would consider one should have their driving licence taken away.

Hmm Golf,Vectra, Golf, Vectra, Golf, Vectra

Well the golf is dull and overhyped, but Vectra gets my second vote becuase I hate it, and it should have been put out of its misery before it got off the drawing board. Sorry DD :-))

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Big Brother?s Garage - tunacat
I'm interested in the Nippa enough to also be able, like you, to spell it correctly, RichardW. And it does have the USP of being the cheapest new car.
So, looking for USPs in the rest of the list...
There's nothing quite like a 2CV or a TVR, the Landcruiser's the only off-roader in the garage, the Golf, Samara and Leon are similar, but at least the Samara was cheap, and interesting because it existed at all and wasn't very good.
The 156 is, and 405 was, beautiful, not available as hatches, and the 405's road manners were a bit of a revelation at launch.
The Mondeo and Vectra are similar but the Mondeo is the better to drive.

So to stay in: a car has to be either 'different', fulfil a specific role, or offer some particular advantage over its competition:

So out goes the Vectra

and out goes the Golf, because its only advantage is (or was) 'quality', but that's negated by it having a higher price.
Big Brother?s Garage - just a bloke
OK...

The VW golf a car so boring it's dangerous! Just last night a golf driver while asleep on the M25 nearly bashed into me.

And

Landcruiser - "Do you get off-raod much?" - nuff said.

JaB

Final reminder:

Voting closes at around 6:30 pm tonight. Evictions shortly afterwards.

Who goes? - you decide.

DD.
Big Brother’s Garage - apm
I would like to nominate the following:

1. Landcruiser. Just takes up too much room, the world just ain't big enough.
2. Vectra. Dull. And ugly.

PS Leon is well fit.xxx

PPS this was SUCH a good idea, DD.
--
Dr Alex Mears
Seat Leon Cupra
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
I\'ve just realised, I haven\'t yet had my vote.

Right,

Lada Samara:- If the quality was anything like the Lada Riva 4x4 I had the displeasure to ride in, then bye bye.

Peugeot 405:- Again poor build quality. My friend had one as a company car. It was in the garage being repaired more often than on the road. Each time it went in, they loaned him a Ford Orion 1.6 Ghia. In the end the company replaced the 405 for an Orion.

Voting over for round one. For the next round, and to see the remaining cars, goto thread:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=23...7

For info, The Golf (12 votes), Lada, (again 12 votes), the Vectra, (14 votes) [**], and the Renault 5 for foul play have all been evicted.

[**] damn you all!! I reckon there was some kind of conspiracy going on.