Buying used Jaguar XJS - stoozguy
Morning,

I'm starting to think that XJS prices can fall no further and am looking to buy a late model 4 litre with FSH in good order. Research suggests a price of around £6k should get me what I want. Can the 4 litre take high mileages (100k +) or do I need to look for lower? Apart from the bodywork issues which I know about, are the mechanics generally good (my impression is the later facelift model is much more reliable than the earlier)? People I have talked to about this fall into 2 distinct camps (great idea/crazy idea) - what do you guys think? Car would be used for max 4,000 miles a year.

Stoozguy
Buying used Jaguar XJS - madf
4 litre if maintained can do 250k plus
Suspension, cooling system brakes exhaust,alloys, trim and very little else can.

By a low mileage well looked after one. Anything less than 100% perfect is a total waste of time and a money sink.

My wife is watching as I write and says : don't buy one. The inherent low build/design quality means it will not last.

Personally I looked at them and decided the costs/issues did not warrant the inevitable high running costs.

I found 2 locally under 60k miles:
1992 JAGUAR XJS Coupe 4.0 2dr Auto Met Ice Blue, FSH, Current Owner Last 10 Years, Leather Upholstry, Alarm, ABS, Upgraded Alloys, MOT April 05, Tax Sept 04, Excellent Condition,. 58500 . . . . (private)
£5,250
34 miles

96(N) JAGUAR XJS Celebration Ltd Edn 4.0 Litre engine, Graham Walker Ltd 2 door, Automatic, One Owner, Coupe, Flamenco Red Metallic, 47000 miles, CD Player, ABS Brakes, Air Conditioning, Alloy Wheels, Central Locking, Leather Upholstery, Alarm, Multiple Airbags, Power . . . . (trade)
£15,000
32 miles

madf

Buying used Jaguar XJS - Soupytwist
Can't offer any advice but on the way to work this morning I was followed by an M reg V12 XJS and the gentleman driving it had the most spectacular moustache arrangement which somehow complemented his choice of large English sports car.
Therefore, don't forget the facial hair implications such a purchase may bring!
--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Buying used Jaguar XJS - Collos25
They eat discs apparentlly,Cylinder heads and valve stem seals,clutches on manual versions .I had a 90 3.6 in 93 and the only problem I personlly had was the brakes not all coming on at the same time which was never really cured and the alarm locking me out in extremelly cold weather .Very little room in them ,performance bland ,but what a wonderful looking car.Plus spares are reaonable and plentiful.

Buying used Jaguar XJS - Mapmaker
>>I'm starting to think that XJS prices can fall no further

Only about another 5,750 below the 6,000 you're looking at!

Jaguars are not exactly noted for their residual values. If you really want one, go for an older one, and spend no more than about six hundred on one with FJSH off ebay.
Buying used Jaguar XJS - Collos25
Just looked on ebay there are plenty to choose from .I think you would get a nice one for 2k
Yup sorry, I was a bit over-optimistic with my pricing. But the only Jaguars with decent residuals are the MkII (which is bizarrely cheap, really, a lot of car for the money), and the E-type (which is pretty pricey, really).
Buying used Jaguar XJS - Aprilia
I actually worked on the development of the electrical system of this vehicle in the mid-1980's-on when it was know as 'Project XJ40'. I wouldn't have one under any circumstances. Every corner was cut and every penny saved during development - it shows in the finished product.
Buying used Jaguar XJS - Martin Wall
Surely the XJ40 was the Saloon XJ6 and XJ12 and not the coupe XJS?
Buying used Jaguar XJS - Aprilia
Surely the XJ40 was the Saloon XJ6 and XJ12 and not
the coupe XJS?

Yes, sorry.
I read the thread too quickly and thought the original poster was talking about the XJ6. XJS is a different beast entirely - still wouldn't want one though!
Buying used Jaguar XJS - Martin Wall
There was a feature about them on Top Gear recently - mentioned a company that modernises them - for tens of thousands of pounds! However they did mention what they change so it may give you an idea of what to watch out for.

Also tinyurl.com/25qd9
And there's a company that modernises the Mk II for almost 100,000 (yup, not a typo) you can have ABS etc. etc.

So what's the point in driving a Mk II then?
Buying used Jaguar XJS - Brill {P}
I had a 5.4 V12, with performance mods by TWR (engine, transmission, exhausts, suspension, brakes etc) and it was a lovely ride (two people only). Felt really special, but obviously drank petrol, and cost big money to fix (often). Maybe check out the owners club.