What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo Rattle - JonnyC
Hi,

i own a Ford Mondeo Mk2 1.8 Zetec (38k miles). Recently, the car has started to develop an annoying rattling noise around 2000 revs. I've located the noise to the engine bay. I know i'm been a bit vague here but just wondered if anyone else has had such problem as i'm not so hot in the mechanics section and i'd like to know what i'm talkin about before the garage tries to screw me :P

Thanks in advance

JC
Mondeo Rattle - Wales Forester
Stab in the dark..........Exhaust heatshield?

PP
Mondeo Rattle - kithmo
I had similar on an old Mk1 Mondeo I used to have. It was a very quiet rattle and occured between 2000 and 2300 rpm, whether the engine was under load or not. Over a period of time, I changed the heat shield (it had split), changed the alternator belt, changed the cambelt and all associated pulleys, checked the metal shields underneath the engine (one near a driveshaft and the dust shield on the bellhousing) and even took half the dash out to see if was coming from behind the dash, all to no avail. I had the car for 6 years with this rattle and it never got any worse. A couple of months before I traded it in, whist it was going through it's annual M.O.T, I asked the mechanic for his opinion, he said it sounded like the power steering pump, which was working fine, but was a bit on the noisy side. I left it as it was so I can't confirm if that would have cured it, but it sure was a source of annoyance even though it was barely audible.
Mondeo Rattle - Galaxy
JonnyC,

It might possibly be the cambelt hitting the inside of the cambelt cover, at certain engine revolutions, because it has become somewhat loose.

This is a well known Zetec problem.

Have a look at the Ford Mondeo Enthusiasts website which can be found at:

www.fordmondeo.org

Look at "MEG Forums"

Good Luck,

Galaxy
Mondeo Rattle - JonnyC
thank for you're advice, ill let you know how i get on :D

JC
Mondeo Rattle - Leon on Derv
Jonny,

I used to own a 2.0 Si mondeo which had a rattle (sort of tappig vibrating sound) from somewhere behind the bulkhead. Tracked it down with the help of an eager young apprentice at kwik fit. Behind the engine at the bulkhead, there is an anti-roll bar, above it there is a solenoid (haven't a clue what its for, but its made from metal!!!) it was the culprit, rattling against the anti roll bar.

Bit of foam taped to the anti roll bar sorted that.

Cost about 50p to sort and a few tins of stella for the keen young apprentice who was determined not to be beaten!

Leon