What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Odometer issue - Honda Prelude - zedstar
Hi all,

My Honda Prelude\'s odometer as suddenly stopped at 49999, which I found slightly odd. The rev and speed needles are working correctly but am not sure wheather this can be repaired, anyone know the possible causes??

Also, looking at buying newish used BMW privately and am looking for companies that provide warranties, tried the one on this site, but obviously want to shop around, any recommendations?

Thanks!

Odometer issue - Andrew-T
As I don't believe an electronic speedo would stop like that, I assume yours is mechanical. This is the way a mech. speedo used to fail - it hadn't the strength to turn up all the tumblers, especially the one that rarely moves. Consult your local car-clocking expert! But if it were fixed it would stick again 10K later.
Odometer issue - IanT
Keep your fingers crossed and hope it goes away like it did with my old mini.

Stuck at 30,000 and freed itself by itself at something like 30,100.

Stuck at 40,000 and ditto. Stuck at 50,000 and ditto. I assume the speedo cable continued to apply more and more pressure to the cogs until they eventually gave in.

Ian

Odometer issue - Dynamic Dave
Try tapping the perspex/glass in front of the speedo. As already mentioned, it might just be stuck and a tap might be all that's needed to move it over to the 50,000 mark.
Odometer issue - spinner
I'd temper my 'selling a prelude' and 'buying a BMW' with this thread - be careful -

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=22...9

Just like the 'lude the beemer must have been well looked after.
Odometer issue - zedstar
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice! Try, tapping, banging, kicking! etc, think it's time to part with some hard earned cash and visit the local mechanic.

Cheers.
Odometer issue - billy25
hi zedstar,
i have several adobe pdf prelude manual files that i could e-mail to you, if you ask the moderators .

billy.