Changing coolant - astra 1.6i M reg - Salm
Hi can anyone help me?

I've changed the coolant in my astra as described in my Haynes manual, but I can't seem to get enough back in! The manual says it should take 6 litres but I could only get three in and I'm worried that my poor little astra is now running around with not enough.

Does anyone know the actual coolant capacity? Have I done something wrong?? I've got to travel with it soon so I'd really appreciate any ideas anyone has. :)

Thanks,

Salm
Changing coolant - astra 1.6i M reg - Dynamic Dave
You'll never drain it all out - unless you take out the engine and turn upsidedown o;)

They'll be a litre or so left in the heater matrix, another litre or so left in the lower end of the engine block.

Providing the expansion bottle is up to the "max" mark, and the top hose going from the thermostat housing to the radiator is hot, and the pipe coming out he bottom of the rad is cool, then all should be ok.

Drive it around for a bit and keep an eye on the level.

To check how much coolant(antifreeze) you have in the system, most motorist shops will sell you a cheap hydrometer to check it.

Changing coolant - astra 1.6i M reg - Salm
Ahhh - that makes sense...

I really appreciate your help, thanks :)

Salm
Changing coolant - astra 1.6i M reg - doctorchris
If you really want to do the job properly, drain the coolant with the heating switched to full heat, then remove bottom hose to radiator and thermostat. flush the radiator and block with a hosepipe so that anything in the system is just plain water. connect everything back up and add neat antifreeze, 50% of the volume Haynes states for the coolant capacity. Then top up with plain water.
Should ensure all old coolant removed and exact proportion of antifreeze in system.
Changing coolant - astra 1.6i M reg - Singer-G
With some cars you can get air-locks in the cooling system. Squeezing the bottom hose can sometimes push the air bubbles to the top.