What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New V5's for old... - cockle {P}
Hadn't seen anything about this before.
Received my renewal for my VED today and included was some info about a new type of V5.
Apparently when you renew the VED, or declare SORN, from June 2004 on, then shortly after you will be reissued with a new V5C for your vehicle, this will continue until June 2005 after which time every vehicle should have a new V5C. The new V5C's will be a common format across the EU and will enable re-registration of the vehicle in any EU country.
The interesting bit is that from 1st July 2005 the old V5 will no longer be valid, therefore anyone offering you a vehicle after that date with an old V5 will be advertising the fact that they either haven't paid their VED this year or failed to Sorn the vehicle!
Not quite sure what the repercussions will be but it could get interesting, I would suggest that it would make any vehicle without a new V5C virtually worthless, most untaxed vehicles probably are anyway, I suppose.

Cockle
New V5's for old... - volvoman
Got my V5C a week or two ago. What you say about the EU inspired format makes sense - it's now nicely colour coded and printed over 4 pages!
New V5's for old... - Singer-G
Do you have to surrender the old V5 to get the V5C, or can you keep it? I've still got an old green log book for my wife's first motorbike, and it would be nice to keep a V5 as well.
New V5's for old... - terryb
So as I've just re-taxed mine and SWMBO's is due at the end of this month we should be some of the last to change. Hmm, our cars might acquire a rarity value :o)
--
Terry

"You'll have to speak up I'm wearing a towel"
New V5's for old... - Big John
I wonder what happens to old V5's for cars stored up before the SORN regulations came into force, they still dont have to be SORNed?