What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - maff257
I recently purchased the above car and it was delivered on the 24th February. I've had so many problems with it in the first month it's unbelievable! Not at all what you expect of Honda... First of all immediately after delivery the brakes would screech when coming to a stop, this only happened once they were warm. I took it back to the dealer, surprise surprise they couldn't recreate it, but as soon as I drove away, you guessed it..screeeech. Took it back again this time they heard a slight noise and resurfaced the brake pads and discs. This has cured the screech but the brakes sound rougher than they did before.

The next problem was with the metal effect surround for the gear gaiter. Everytime I put it in gear it creaked. Took it back again but they managed to order the wrong part and just replaced the rubber gaiter and not the surround so it still creaked. Finally managed to order the right part and replaced it, now it no longer creaks. The thing that made me angry about both these instances was I was assured that these things were 'normal', why on earth do dealers always insist on saying that, I'm not stupid I know when something isn't right!

Yet another problem is with a noise emanating from the engine once it's warm. It happens when moving in either 1st or reverse when the revs are between 1500rpm and 2000rpm. It's a kind of rattly rough sound and disappears outside that rev range. It's been steadily getting louder, again dealer insists it's normal and is 'just the take up of the engine'.

Then there's the interior rattles! I was told repeatedly that Honda's don't rattle. There's a buzz in the roof lining, this occurs when driving over even just less than perfect road surfaces and is right above my head. It can also be heard when replacing the sun visors or just tapping the roof lining. There's a tick-tick rattle coming from somewhere near the steering wheel. The whole dash seems to rattle when driving along a normal british road, I believe it's the vents but can't be sure. There's a rattle on the door frame, just behind my head, so I can hear it all the time. It's not just me, other people can hear these noises and think it's not acceptable. But isn't amazing how dealer's seem to all be hard of hearing?! I was accused of having sensitive hearing and being paranoid because it's a new car by the dealer. But this is my fourth new car so I know what to expect!

All this from a month old car, so much for Honda's improvements to the 2004 Civic model! I bought a Honda because I heard they were brilliantly built and never went wrong. Have I bought a lemon? What would you advise me to do?

2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - T Lucas
Go to Boots,get some cotton wool,pull off a small piece and put into your ear.If this does not cure the 'problem'repeat with other ear.
Thank you so much you are so helpful
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - Dynamic Dave
I've had a quick browse using the "Forum Search" and came up with these links.

www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/guides_to/buyingacar
diylaw.info/BuyingCars.htm

2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - Bill Payer
Have I bought a lemon?

You do sound slightly hysterical - if that comes across when you talk to the dealer then they won't take you seriously. It's a car with some rattles for God's sake - it's not the end of the world.

Small rattles can be difficult to pick up - you get used to the way your car sounds and notice things that the dealer, on a brief test drive, won't pick up.

My wife has a new Jazz and sure, there a little buzz here and there, but build quality wise it's in a totally different league to her previous car (Clio 1.6RXE). However my only experience of the dealer (on collecting the car) was not what I was expecting. Amongst many issues, they hadn't even fitted the number plates on straight!

A stiff letter to Honda UK produced a grovelling apology from the dealer and an offer of a free 1st service. I suggest you try that to get a resolution to your issue's, but don't over dramatise by suggesting it's a lemon.
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - Ivor E Tower
Looks like this has been posted on the Autocar forum too. SUggest you contact Honda UK customer services and tell them you are dissatisfied and what are they going to do to sort it as the dealer seems unhelpful. Don't get angry, just explain the facts and see what sort of response you are getting. Tell them if necessary that you have posted your concerns to 2 different motoring forums with hundreds of people interested in seeing how good Honda's dissatisfied customer support is. Make sure you keep us updated.
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - T Lucas
Must be worth thousands in compo,and the man that signed it off from the factory should be sacked forthwith,not to mention the useless dealer,should lose the franchise and last but not least,get Watchdog on the case.Or maybe turn the music up.
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - bartycrouch
Our local Honda dealer managed to put the incorrect number plate of the back of a colleague's HRT. He noticed this after setting of a speed camera.

2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - DavidHM
Barty - was that a good or a bad thing?
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - No Do$h
Our local Honda dealer managed to put the incorrect number plate
of the back of a colleague's HRT.

I knew Hondas have a reputation for fine roadholding but didn't realise they actually stick to the road....
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - Mad Maxy
Having a car like this would hack me off too. You buy new - and Honda - to avoid rattles. Modern cars from strong manufacturers shouldn't rattle (but see below). If maff257's beefs are true he should have redress, and Honda UK would want that too (if they've any sense).

Involve Honda UK. Keep calm but firm. Get a friend to listen to the rattles; if he/she can hear them and thinks they're bad that'll be reassurance there's a case.

How about What Car? That has a 'watchdog' column.

The dealer sounds useless. Honda UK need to sort.

BTW, a MINI dealer told me they'd replaced a customer's car because he wasn't happy with the cabin/dash rattles.
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - Blue {P}
I wouldn't say that you have a lemon, just a car that needs looking at. Just out of interest, where in the country are you?

Speaking from expereience I can tell you that whilst Hondas do occasionally rattle, it's far less than other cars I've driven, and the manufacturers warranty covers rattles for 3 years or 90,000 miles. Try and find someone else who will warrant their cars to that level for 3 years. :-)

Blue
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - flatfour
I found the only way to stop rattles and squeeks is to sort them yourself. MAGIC ANSWER finnigans wax, you can put it on plastics, electrical wiring, virtually anywhere. The rattle in my roof above my head was the wire to the courtesy light. Squirt some wax up under the lining, no squeek. Plastic joint in the dash, put some wax on it leave it to dry a couple of hours, polish off ans no squeek. The light switch in the door pillar, same again. This stuff is brilliant. Please note!!! use at your own risk, the author takes no responsibility for idiots that may damage their car or injure themselve by spraying wax in body orifices.
Just thought I would update you all on what has happened over the past couple of weeks.

Honda (UK) and the Honda dealer agreed to replace my car, which of course I was very happy with.

The dealer said he had an identical car in stock and asked that I go along to test it to make sure it didn't have the same problems as mine as I have a cherished plate and we wouldn't want to transfer that unnecesarily.

Well D-Day was last Friday and I took a day off to drive the 108 miles to the dealer I bought it from. When I got there no one was expecting me and they didn't know who I was! But a salesman there did his best to help and took me out to show me the car.

The first thing I noticed was it was an ex-showroom vehicle as it still had 'Civic' number plates attached. My suspicions were confirmed when I looked inside and found there were many scratches to the interior trim where clearly many people had been getting in and out. I thought immediately I won't accept this car but thought I would drive it anyway to see if it had any of the same problems as mine. The car had just 5 miles on the clock but already there was a constant buzz coming from the door frame! My girlfriend was sitting in the back and said there was a loud rattle coming from the plastic trim around the rear side window ( I noticed her trying to stop it in the rear view mirror!)

I cannot believe I was offered a car like this when I complained to them about car quality!

Obviously I can't keep driving 108 miles to test different cars so I'm not sure what Honda's response will be now. I have posted to so many forums about this and I've told them so! It can't be good publicity for them.

The good thing is I have it in writing from Honda (UK) that they will replace my car, although interestingly it doesn't say what with!

I have written to both Honda and the dealer about my visit on Friday and have asked for a refund, let's see what happens now...
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - Geffers
Thank you for this. I am considering changing my car and after reading your experience, I shall avoid Honda.
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - NowWheels
Thank you for this. I am considering changing my car and
after reading your experience, I shall avoid Honda.

I hope you don't mind me saying that seems a rather hasty judgment. One Honda with a few relatively minor problems, but dozens of good reports. From my reading of the backroom, I'd still put Honda high up my list
Just try to avoid the British built ones...
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - arnold2
hmm ... new Derby-built Corolla springs to mind ..... !
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - Burnout2
My last three Hondas have all been Swindon-built. None have suffered from any squeaks or rattles. Or any other issues for that matter. The latest I've only had for two months (a Civic Type-R), but the build quality seems absolutely first-rate so far. I don't believe Japanese cars assembled in the UK have more issues than those built in Japan.
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - Geffers
Over the years, I\'ve had a few Hondas (Accords) and other than a few niggles, I have always had a high regard for the manufacturer. However, while I take your point, reading the experiences of maff257, it does beg the question \"have Honda lost the plot\" ?
2004 Honda Civic 1.6 Sport Problems - Blue {P}
I've tried to hold back on this one so far, but here goes!

It does sound as though the car is unacceptable in it's current form, and the dealer would appear to have been less than perfect, however, I find it really strange that after agreeing to replace the car, no one in the dealer knew anything about it.

If something like that happened in our place then the Dealer Principal would undoubtedly know about it, as would all the other salesman, this would be for no other reason than it is such a rare occurance that people would chat about it.

I think it's jumping the gun a bit to ask if Honda have lost the plot all because one car has a few rattles, which it would appear Honda are going to replace! As everyone probably knows, Hondas do rattle, the difference is that the Honda warranty covers it, and they are normally sorted out in no time.

At least it's a better response from a dealer than the one that I got, which was "It's a Ford sir, they all rattle"! :-O

Blue
Yes all in all I think Honda are an excellent manufacturer and they're warranty covers everything for the full 3 years. And there are not many who will believe in their product and replace the car just to keep the customer happy.

The problems with some of the Swindon built cars, and if you pop over to the forum of Honda Revolutions you will see there have been a few, may not be all down to the assembly but also quality of parts. The new Civic was meant to be Honda's first attempt at the mass market and therefore this meant keeping costs down. If you look at the quality of plastics used in the Jazz for example you will find them better than those in the Civic.

I think it will interesting to see where there the next generation 2006 Civic is built, will it be Swindon?