What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Stripped spark plug threads.Cavalier Mk3 - Richard Huddleston
Cavalier 3. Runs ok but I think one of the spark plug threads is crossed or stripped (not by me!), it\'s fairly tight but feels as if it\'d turn forever. I\'ve read an archive on helicoiling but I think that thread-locking cement might do the trick.
So the question is:
Which cement? The car accessory shops will sell you anything, I would have thought that it would be critical to use the right one given the temperature it\'ll be exposed to. Obviously it will need to come out ocasionally.
Thanks in advance.
Stripped spark plug threads - Malcolm_L
You mentioned you read the thread on helicoiling and still prefer thread-locking cement?

Helicoil is the way to go, loctite or one of the alternatives are not a viable solution.
Stripped spark plug threads - Richard Huddleston
Cement £5, helicoiling £xxx!
Stripped spark plug threads - mfarrow
It depends how long you're planning to keep the car or sell it before the next service and some other poor git has to have the 'plug drilled out and helicoiled :-)
Stripped spark plug threads - Dynamic Dave
Cement £5, helicoiling £xxx!

Cement fails, engine down to 3 cylinders, possible damage to ECU = £xxx. Not to mention the inconvience of having to wait for a breakdown truck; that is if the artic lorry hasn't wiped you out beforehand by you trying to get from lane 3 to the hard shoulder.

Helicoiling isn't that expensive, and not outside the scope of the average DIY'er who's willing to havea go themselves.
Stripped spark plug threads - jc
A good professional engineering firm can do the helicoil without removing the head.
Stripped spark plug threads - Sooty Tailpipes
I had a helicoil in my sump for £30, while it was on the car.

What you can try, ir geting an old plug, and cutting a two grooves at 90?deg to the threads and 180?deg apart, use some oil on it, and use it as a tap, turn it in a turn then back half a turn, then forward half a turn, until it's right in, then unscrew and put the new plug in.

or try www.jbweld.com/
and permanently bond a uridium plug in, should last the life on any Cavalier!
Stripped spark plug threads - Civic8
I used to do that but without the bonding.never had any probs
Stripped spark plug threads - Dizzy {P}
Richard,

Loctite 243 (Nutlock) retaining compound would hold the plug OK so long as there is still a bit of resistance to turning. This grade of Loctite would also allow removal using the normal spanner. However there is a very big 'IF' ...

If the head is an aluminium alloy, this won't activate the Loctite into curing unless it contains at least 2% copper (and this is very unlikely). If the spark plug thread is zinc plated, that won't readily activate curing either.

Loctite needs the exclusion of oxygen AND the direct presence of copper or ferrous ions to activate it. In the absence of one or other of these ions, an activating fluid can be used. The activator is a copper compound in solution and it works quite well, however it needs applying very thinly but must thoroughly cover at least one of the surfaces. It also reduces the strength of the Loctite by typically 15%.

As I said, Loctite 243 will allow the plug to be removed. The problem here is that you will need to apply more torque than normal to undo the plug and this is likely to damage the already weak threads even more. Given all these 'ifs' and 'buts' I think it has to be a helicoil in this case.
Stripped spark plug threads - Peter D
To use locking compound you will have to temove the plug and if it is crossed or stripped that may be the end of it and a helicoil is the only way to go. Regards Peter
Stripped spark plug threads - Richard Huddleston
Thanks, friend. JB Weld sounds good. What's an iridium plug?
Stripped spark plug threads - 547HEW
To meet 100,000 miles service intervals, spark plugs with iridium alloy electrodes have been developed. If a plug were to be glued permanently in place (horrendous bodge in my opinion!), a long life plug would be preferable.

If trying out one of these adhesive/cement products please be aware that the ceramic insulator (nose) of the spark plug absorbs heat from the combustion process, and likes to reject approx 70% of this heat to the head, via the "motor seat". (This is the interface between the spark plug body and the cylinder head). If this heat path is impaired (e.g. plug not torqued in), under high power output, the ceramic nose might overheat and put that cylinder into pre-ignition. With 3 other cylinders keeping the works going round, it can make quite a mess before you notice the loss of power.
Stripped spark plug threads.Cavalier Mk3 - 547HEW
Richard,

In addition to the reasons Dizzy states, I would not recommend a "loctite" type solution because of the temperatures involved. Thread temperatures of above 150 deg C are common in this application. Thread locking compounds lose their strength at around this temperature.

The helicoil solution needs some care. No part of the Helicoil must be allowed to protrude into the combustion chamber. This is to prevent pre-ignition occurring.

The fastener company Wurth developed a process and a special spark plug thread insert, where a cylinder head could be repaired in the vehicle. This was about 14 yrs ago, it may now be more widely available.

Hope this helps.
Stripped spark plug threads.Cavalier Mk3 - Dizzy {P}
547HEW,

I totally agree about the weakening effect on Loctite from the heat of the plug. Yes, that puts it right out of the question.

I assume your 'moniker' is the registration number of your first car? Mine was BBC 919, a 1937 Morris 8.
Stripped spark plug threads.Cavalier Mk3 - 547HEW
Dizzy,

You are almost there... it was the reg no. of my first vehicle, a motorcycle. 1963 Tiger Cub. (Strangely enough, this suffered a stripped spark plug thrd in the hands of the next owner).
Stripped spark plug threads.Cavalier Mk3 - autumnboy
One thing to be carefull of Loctite, when you want to break its strength in the permament grade you use heat to break it. So if you use any strength on a hot engine beware the plug doe'nt fire like a rocket from its hole. I'd sooner get a helicoil fitted as I did once on a ali head and no further problems providing you don't use a 6ft bar to tighten it.
Stripped spark plug threads.Cavalier Mk3 - Mikey Jay
Richard,I hope this doesn't sound daft. Have you tried cleaning the threads first with a plug chaser? The threads may be bunged up with carbon. I would do that before thinking of helicoils.MJ