What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic ?? - mazhj
Hi,
In my seemingly endless search for a new car, I have narrowed the field to these two.
I am still not entirely drawn to one above the other, and would be interested to hear any views,comments or experiences, others have had with these two models.
I look forward to your comments ...
Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic ?? - Hull4000
Both are good cars. Honda cars are as reliable as they get in this segment of the market. It is well built, retains its value well and has slightly better fuel economy for the petrol engines. I would avoid the hopeless Isuzu 1.7 diesel litre engine.

The Corolla can be a bit noisy at motorway speeds and you'll be lucky to get anywhere near 40mpg. There has also been a rattling problem - possibly because the dashboard isn't fitted together as well as it could be (but it is still better built than VWs!). The Corolla is also cheaper - you should be able to get the 1.6 T3 for around £11,000.

The petrol Civic is probably the better car but the Corolla is better value for money. If you are after a diesel then go for the Corolla. The other car you could consider is the Mazda3 which has had some good reviews.
Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic ?? - Nortones2
Re the Isuzu diesel, some think its noisy and rough, As does HJ, its been pointed out, or hopeless as Hull4000 describes it, but I found it OK. I'd be surprised if Honda would release a lemon. Maybe there are variations in production? Heres a link, where an opinion is based on some mileage:
www.ciao.co.uk/Honda_Civic_CDTi__Review_5359790

I bought a Civic 2.0 litre because the 1.6 was a bit short-geared, as is the Toyota, with typical small petrol engine chararacteristic of rather feeble low to mid range. The diesel Civic was better mid range of course, but a bit short on outright poke, but would have been a good workhorse. However I wanted some fun-factor, so the Type S won. Best bet is to try them out yourself, on a decent run.
Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic ?? - oldgit
Sat in the Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit yesterday, with a view to buying one in the next few weeks or so but myself and my partner were very disappointed with it from a static point of view. Drab dark grey-black upholstery, poor frontal visibility even with my driving seat fully extended towards the sunroof and even then there did not seem to be over generous leg room for me (at just over 6ft). The drab interior was complemented by dark fascia, dark doors etc. The sunroof's internal sliding cover is also flimsy. I suppose it's a matter that you get what you pay for, ie it has a lot on offer for the money, I suppose, but they have had to make savings somewhere and it's in the detail that concerns me.
I'll be able to make a better dynamic judgement in a few weeks time when my neighbour picks up his new 1.4 Corolla (basic T2 model)- now that should be interesting!

Mechanically I'm also worried about the high revving nature of the engine and the final gearing which only allows 19.7mph/1000rpm in fifth gear! Much too much of a buzz-box in my opinion. A Ford Focus is much more relaxed, in this respect (I don't own one of these, I should add).
Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic ?? - arnold2
New shape Corolla interior lookes too much like a cheap Japanese hi-fi ... although the Civic isn't miles better inside, either ...

I don't like the handling of the 5 door Civic, though - rolls alarmingly when you push it through a bend - the Corolla has better handling.

Engine wise the Honda has better real-world fuel consumption, although the gearing is similar - note the Toyota is a chain-cam, so no belt to replace.

And my Corolla 1.4 is now at 120k miles, in 3.5 years .....