What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Valuation Please - Miller
Hi all, unfortunately my cousin has the task of selling his deceased father's car.

It is a 96 (N) Honda Civic 1.5Lsi coupe (101bhp model?) 90k miles with full service history, elec mirros/roof/windows. Bodywork fine apart from a scrape to NSR wheel arch that will need sorting as it is starting to rust. Also being a solid red colour a few of the panels are starting to fade and could do with a good polish.

He does not have the time or enthusiasm to tackle these jobs himself so will be selling as is.

We have looked at the various price guides but their valuations seem to vary widely. I have suggested excepting around 1k but cousin is expecting 1.5k.

Any ideas anyone? TIA.
Honda Valuation Please - No Do$h
The shape of the Civic changed in 96 on the N plate. Is it the older style sleek looking beasty or the altogether more slab-side version with the big headlights?

Although it is a bit scrappy, there is a market for Civic Coupes amongst the Rice Racers. Whilst not a howling 1.8VTi, the potential to slap a bodykit and cheap respray on a low insurance group car could make this quite an appealing buy if marketted properly. Parking it near the local halfords with a couple of \"For Sale\" notices in the window should do the trick considering the likely puchaser.
Thanks for that No Dosh, it is the older model (and 95 not 96 as originally stated.)

Incidently I have just been on E-bay and some similar aged/mileage models seem to be kicking off at around the 1.5k mark, so I may have undervalued it myself. I might even suggest he sells it on E bay to avoid the hassle of haggling/test drives etc.
Well it\'s quite a pretty car and the mileage is no problem for that engine although the suspension/steering will be a bit tired.

I think punting it on Ebay with a £1k reserve, clear pictures of the damage (and the good bits) and expecting around the 1.5k mark should get some interest. Given the comment about flat paint it would be well worth spending a couple of hours with some decent polish prior to taking any pics.
Honda Valuation Please - edisdead {P}
Check AutoTrader for how much a similar model fetches and what is available in your area. Price accordingly if you are after a quick sale.

The older model coupes are really quite attractive cars. You may well have success if you advertise on a few honda enthusiast sites - some of these riceboy characters will pay £4-5000 for an old shape CRX, which stopped production back in 1991!

Alternatively, is there a family member or friend who could make use of it? Could take a lot of the hassle out of selling.

Good luck,

Ed.
Hi edisdead, ironically my cousin owns an 02 plate BMW 320d which at the moment only covers around 5k miles a year. As he still lives at home with his mother I have suggested he sells it and uses the money from the sale to invest in a deposit for a house, and utilise this Civic for his low mileage needs.

If I was in the market at the moment for a cheap car I would snap it up but I expect my current car to be go good for another five years yet! His mother does not drive so it is of no use to her either.
It's a shame your cousin doesn't want to get the bodywork tidied (although I understand the reasoning) as a tidy 95 N should fetch over £2k, although it may be a bit sticky with the mileage.

If you can get any 'photos of it, showing the damage, would you mind emailling them to me please? I've just thought of someone I know that may be interested in a car like that (stylish but cheap to run)
No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Hi, I will try and get down on Sunday to photo it. I may also try and convince him to give it a good polish if one days work could equate to any extra £500! He is in no hurry to sell at the moment.
Honda Valuation Please - A Dent{P}
Er, please excuse my ignorance but what is a Riceboy???
Honda Valuation Please - Mark (RLBS)
I dunno, but I'm not sure I am going to like it. An explanation would be good.
Honda Valuation Please - nick
I'd get the paint damage touched up buy a body shop, shouldn't cost much, and a pro valeting inside and out. You'll more than get your money back and it'll sell more easily.
Honda Valuation Please - Aprilia
I have heard the terms 'Riceboy' and 'Riceburner' in Australia - seems to mean 'boy racer'. I don't think there are any racial connotations, if that was the worry. I don't know where these terms originated. They also use the word 'Hoon', meaning hooligan, or similar. Incidentally I believe the work 'hooligan' has racist overtones since it was originally applied to Irish people.
Honda Valuation Please - A Dent{P}
Sorry, going right off at a tangent on this one (what?s new?).
I started thinking it must mean ?racy in car entertainment? boy or something like that, then I can upon this site funny on ?vanning? AARRRGGGHHHH!!!.
tinyurl.com/2jct4
There is a mention of riceboy in here, can you see these on our roads?, oh boy. Maybe it?s a reference to origin after all.
Honda Valuation Please - Mark (RLBS)
I am speechless. Imagine even seeing a van like that around.

It almost makes you appreciate people with their fog lights on in the sun.
Honda Valuation Please - helicopter
I refer you to
www.riceboypage.com

for the definitive answer as to what constitutes a riceboy.
Helicopters link sums it up nicely.

Rice Racer / Rice Boy / Rice Runner all refer to those that buy standard Jap cars and Lax Power them to the nth degree, often with neon lighting kits. Just watch "The fast and the furious" and wonder why all of a sudden a 1.4 civic 3dr is a desirable buy on the used market.....