What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
318i MOT Failure - grease'd monkey
Hi all. I just got my MOT done today and failed on a few things, this is what was said in the report:

1) O/S fault, anti-roll bar link bush split
2) Front pad low
3) N/S front to rear metal pipe coroded, and
4) Front registration plate cracked.

Answers?
1) Quoted £14 for this but how much to fit?
2) Change of front pads, this shouldn't be a problem to fix myself should it?
3) This is a brake item that was tested but have no idea how to fix this myself or how much it would cost to fix. I went to German Swedish and told me I would have to go to a dealer for this. Any ideas? and..
4) Screw off old, screw on new.... this would be okay.

If there are any who know of this I would greatly appreciate the information.... cheers!
318i MOT Failure - martint123
3) my local, rural garage charged me 30 quid to change two brake pipes on a Renault (worth it to me as I couldn't raise the car enough to comfortably work on it.

318i MOT Failure - Simon
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that an MOT tester could not fail a car for a low brake pad, only advise it. This is assuming it passed the brake efficiency test an the rollers.
318i MOT Failure - Dynamic Dave
I thought that an MOT tester could not fail a car for a low brake pad

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_350.htm

Item F in the list.

Method of Inspection
security and excessive wear of brake linings/pads

Reason for rejection
a brake lining or pad insecure or less than 1.5mm thick at any point

318i MOT Failure - grease'd monkey
thanx for the input guys. bought the items needed except the brake pipe, went to a garage and said he'll fit the pads, bush, and make and fit the pipe corroded, only the section corroded as it runs up, down, left and right into the engine bay. siad he'd put in a union...

a run-down on the prices:
pads £ 22.50 OE
bush £14
plate £6.50
fitting pipe, fit pads, fit bush ~£80

just to let you know!

grease'd monkey