What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 406 2.1td - What's it worth? - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max
Hello again. Have no alfa anymore, only a pug.. will have to change my board name.. This car has had postings about it before.. Am going travelling for 10 months... two options with car.. sell it or lend it to my brother who will V5, tax, insure and use it..
What would you reckon I'd get for it to the "right" person?? Methinks lending it and having it back when returning o the UK is the best.. (better the devil you know and all that). I bought it 2.5 years ago with 98,000 on it for £4500...

Peugeot 406
2.1td GLX 110hp Diesel. 190,000 Miles
1997/R Reg 4 Door, Saloon. White.
Used daily on 140+ mile commute. (Motorway).
Excellent "mile muncher" with great handling for a "large" car.
1 year Tax 1 Year MOT.
1 former fleet owner - full Peugeot service history.
Complete history, all receipts. Serviced every 6 weeks.
Averages over 45mpg (up to 53). Up to 870 miles / tank
Digital Climate Control Remote Central locking
4 x electric windows Rain Sensor Windscreen Wipers
Wood dash kit. RDS Radio/Cassette, 6 speakers, Steering wheel controls. Immobiliser. Fully adjustable drivers seat
Front Fogs, 15" Alloys, 2 Airbags, ABS, Immaculate inside.
Good outside.

New:
Brake Disks All round June 2003
Brake Pads All round June 2003
Radiator
Exhaust
Rear Link Arms
Timing belt/head gasket changed 3000 miles ago
Steering, Engine, Gearbox, brakes and Clutch great.
Peugeot 406 2.1td - What's it worth? - Chad.R
In this case I'd certainly say, better the devil you know....

I'm not sure of the exact value but it's not going to be very much for a '97 406 with close to 200K on it. It will be worth far more to you as it sounds like a well looked after car. You know the car and it's history and in anycase, you seem to have spent a considerable amount money on the important bits fairly recently.

I'd reckon you'd be luck to get even a fraction of the cost of all work that back if you were to sell.

Enjoy your travels.

Chad.
Peugeot 406 2.1td - What's it worth? - DavidHM
Hard to say but if pushed, three figures only though probably the upper half.

If it is basically a good car, there's little point in selling it, especially in a hurry, as you won't get anything as modern and basically sound for the same money.

If you are going to hold out for good money, you'll have the car for a long time.
Peugeot 406 2.1td - What's it worth? - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max
Well. Been backpacking around the world for 11 months. Sorry Growler, only in Singapore for 1 night.. But SWMBO and I went to 15 countries in 330 Days.....
Back to cars...
Came back.
Picked up my Pug 406 (only did 4000 miles in the year I was away)
My brother said "I had it serviced 2 days ago, and he adjusted the timing belt"
oh.
Drove 2 miles in London.. Heard a "clacking" from the engine bay... called the mechanic who said "no worries, Do your trip of 150 miles, and I'll look at it in a few days"..
Next day, 1 mile up the road .. Died.

Turns out cambelt came off due to tensioner failure.
Had an £800 car with a £1200 fix...
Right, off to Ebay otherwise I pay someone £50 to take it away..
Result..... Polish chap bought it for £245...

Now, I'm looking for a diesel to do a 150 mile a day commute.. anyone?
Peugeot 406 2.1td - What's it worth? - cheddar
Would have thought you would have some come back on the garage whom your brother had service the car and adjust the belt?

The clacking was probably the delaminating belt hitting components as it went around shortly before it failed completely.
Peugeot 406 2.1td - What's it worth? - Reggie
On the 2.1td, there is a stud on the tensioner which if torqued too much will fail. It is only "thin" with I believe a 10mm head on it. As the mechanic has "adjusted" the cam belt, this would make me very suspicious that he is to blame, unless it had been stretched previously when the belt was fitted.

The other thing is , as far as I'm aware there is no need to "adjust" these belts between cam belt changes, so why was it being tampered with?

Bad luck.
Reggie