What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic Type R - Mad Maxy
Had a test drive yesterday. Fine machine: very capable chassis, meaty steering (maybe a little lacking in feel), great brakes, great seats, rock-solid build. Engine (surprisingly, to me, though I'm a VTEC virgin) flexible. Gorgeous looks, of course.

The only negative was what I took to be road noise, a background presence that was always there. Curiously it didn't change with speed, or vary that much with road surface. In fact it was most noticeable in town at under 30 mph. Don't think I could live with it.

Sum up: great car, great value. Cooper S with works conversion on balance a better proposition - it's more refined.

But I wouldn't make a final decision without driving both again.
Honda Civic Type R - Marcos{P}
My freind has a Civic Type R and after a bad start with ownership, new engine needed, he loves it. The only thing he moans about is the slightly tinny feel to the car and the noise at motorway cruising speeds. Other than that I think the Honda is a great little car.
Honda Civic Type R - Burnout2
I liked it enough to buy one. There's certainly more road noise than you'd expect from a modern £16k car, but the engine remains fairly muted unless you're up near the VTEC zone, where the noise is part of the fun. Far more civilised than the old Integra. The '04 model NVH reduction has helped somewhat, but still not a car to be recommended to those who do lots of motorway miles.

It does have other compensations though - a truly great engine & gearbox in a more than decent chassis at a bargain price - just don't pay list.

Honda Civic Type R - Mattster
I bought a Type-R five months ago and love it. Yes, there is some road noise, though either this diminished slightly as the tyres became used, or I just grew used to it. Anyway, it doesn't bother me now. You do need to turn the radio up load to hear it on the motorway though.

Haven't driven the Works Mini, so can't comment. However, with the Civic you're getting a proper sized hatchback for £16k (with the aircon option, through a broker), whereas the Mini is £18k and a bit small. Depends on your main requirements.

Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.