Driving while sleepy - OldPeculiar
The subject of driving while tired has come up in the news again. I wasn\'t going to go into the figures and except that there is a danger in driving when you havn\'t had enough sleep. The trouble is sometimes you don\'t have much choice - so what do you do?

I live about 50min drive away from work along a motorway (it was halfway between my wife\'s and my own workplace) My wife\'s having our first child in 6 weeks and so I\'m likely to end up without much sleep. I can\'t afford to move and I have to go to work, there\'s no public transport (couldn\'t afford it anyway) and so I shall have drive tired. Does anyone else feel forced into driving tired despite what would be safest?
Driving while sleepy - Wilco {P}
Advice from Loughborough Uni who did the research

www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/hu/groups/sleep/arrive...m

A TIC summary of their recommendations would seem to be "drink 2 cans of Red Bull"?
Driving while sleepy - matt35 {P}
OP,

Don't know if this is a load of (red) bull;

Tiredness affects your ability to concentrate.

Professional risk analysts believe that fatigue lies behind many crashes.

Driver sleepiness is thought to cause at least twenty percent of all motorway and trunk road accidents.

Most accidents happen between 2am - 6am and mid afternoon between 2pm - 4pm, when the body's natural clock is set at daily low points.

Falling asleep at the wheel is increasingly preceded by feelings of increasing sleepiness. If you feel tired:

get off the road - find a safe parking place

take a fifteen minute nap
drink one or two cans of energy drink

A can of functional energy drink will almost eliminate this level of sleepiness and sleep related driving impairments for about 90 minutes after being absorbed. But nevertheless, drivers should get adequate sleep, and not see functional energy drinks as a substitute for sleep.

Men are more at risk of having a sleep related accident as they drive faster, have an over-confident image of their driving skills and are less likely to stop and take a break if they feel tired. They will wind down the window, turn up the radio, stretch etc, but drive on. Neither these latter methods nor the willpower to stay awake have much effect in overcoming sleepiness.

Avoid long journeys in the morning without a good night?s sleep, or in the evening after a full day?s work.
Plan your journey to include proper breaks. A minimum of at least 10 minutes after every two hours driving is sensible.

Matt35.

Driving while sleepy - Ian (Cape Town)
A TIC summary of their recommendations would seem to be "drink
2 cans of Red Bull"?

Speak to your doctor. I can't drink Red Bull - it gives me heart palpitations, and I am above-average when it comes to fitness. Local docs are out-and-out against this stuff. (Yeah, so what do 3rd world Doctors know? Ask Christiaan Barnard). Frankly, I think it is ********* dangerous ****(Excuse the French) and should be banned.
As a late-night worker - and a father of 2 toddlers - I know the dangers of driving when tired.
Go for a 5-minute brisk walk before setting off, drive with the window 'cracked' open (yeah, i know it's cold), play some loud music.
But AVOID the chemical route.
Driving while sleepy - Blue {P}
Ian - I've heard that it's banned in France, but anyway, the point I was going to make is that it should be drunk with a shot of Vodka, or better yet, in the form of a TVR (Tequila, Vodka, Red Bull) All quite popular drinks here! :-)

I've got to admit I'm slightly sceptical about Red Bull if drunk in huge quantities, but I find that if I'm on a good night out then acan, or maybe two, doesn't hurt, wouldn't spend my entire night drinking TVR or Vodka Red Bulls though, if I do that then I know from bitter experience that I will still be awake at 5am! :-(

Blue
Driving while sleepy - patently
OP - you are indeed in a potentially difficult situation. I recall facing the same problem, i.e. a job that needs to be done in order to pay for house, SWMBO and new baby but which cannot be reached by public transport. Only solution is to drive, but said child means you are sleepy 24/7.

I drove into the back of a stationary queue of traffic so can vouch for the potential risks. I still consider myself to have been lucky - no-one was hurt.

Parental leave?

Best wishes to you and the new family. Take care.
I'm off work for the first two weeks but I doubt that'll be the end of the sleepness nights. I've told SWMBO that she has to deal with junior during the night when I'm driving to work the next day :)

I think the way we work in this country forces many of us to drive tired. The long hours culture and difficulty of moving close to work seem at the root of this. If the govenment wants us to be more awake they they need to look at the causes not threaten fines. Lets have as little less stick and a bit more carrot please!
Driving while sleepy - teabelly
Is there anyway you could work from home for a few months just why the new baby settles down and hopefully learns how to sleep through the night? Or whether you could do shorter hours or limit the number of days so you would two days at work, one off for sleeping another two days on then two days off for the weekend. I think paternity leave allows you up to two weeks off so I see no reason why you couldn't take it off as one day a week for 10 weeks just to get you through the noisy first few months.

Alternatively invest in some good ear plugs!

teabelly
'Fraid I can't work from home. I'm an engineer which involves working in the lab and being around to 'respond' to managements varying demands. I'm not sure spreading out the time off will help either - I'll probably end up working later on the days that I'm in!

I shall invest in some red bull for the car. But what are the other effects of caffine on driving ability? I'm paranoid and jittery enough after my mug of coffee at work!
Driving while sleepy - Hawesy1982
Artful Dodger:

I took part in that research!

Did three hours driving on a simulated (very boring) motorway, on my own, in silence, after 24 hours without sleep:

I crashed after 1hr 45, in a traffic jam

Did the same thing again, had a bottle of 'energy drink' 30 mins before starting, and then another 90 mins in:

Didn't crash, but had two "Oh ****!" moments where i very nearly didn't react to the brakelights ahead of me.

So it just about worked for me on that occasion, and i got £80 for my troubles too :-)
And those whose work is suitable for doing it at home will find that it is very difficult with young children in the house!
Driving while sleepy - expat
Ask around your office. Maybe someone else lives near you or on the same route and can give you a lift. You would then be able to return the favour for them when your life settles down again.
Driving while sleepy - trancer
Sleep with ear-plugs and in another room of the house that is as far from the baby as possible.

As for driving while sleepy, stick a finger in your nose then prop up your arm by resting your elbow on the steering wheel. When you get increasingly drowsy your head will rest more on your finger and the pain will wake you up.
I take it that's a joke?

If sipping water from a bottle while stationary at traffic lights is deemed unsafe then what would plod have to say about that?
Driving while sleepy - trancer
In all honesty I didn't expect him to actually try it, but the person who told me about it was very serious and used the technique many times. He was an truck driver and regularly had to put in 20 hour days behind the wheel to earn good money.

Are you kidding about being done for drinking behind the wheel when stationary?. I regularly do that and had no idea it was against the law. Never heard of such a law, or one regarding driving with a finger in your nose.
Are you kidding about being done for drinking behind the wheel
when stationary?. I regularly do that and had no idea
it was against the law. Never heard of such a
law, or one regarding driving with a finger in your nose.

It was a notorious court case a while back. A woman stopped at a traffic light and was thirsty so she took a sip from the bottle that was in the cupholder on the dash.

An oficer ticketed her for not being in full control of the vehicle while driving. She appealed. I think the full grounds of appeal were "Err, I was stationary?! Hello?" (or something like that anyway).

The appeal was refused - she was technically driving and was distracted by the drink. Therefore she was a danger to other road users and was convicted.

Driving while sleepy - peterb
Don't forget that many energy-boost foods and drinks give a short-term boost, but once this is over can leave you feeling worse than before.
Driving while sleepy - Cliff Pope
I have never actually nodded off at the wheel, but have had odd moments of near-sleep, and it is very very scary.
I don't think the seriousness of this condition can be overemphasised. You have to ask yourself, 'how useful would I be as a father if I kill myself on the road?'
And what about the other children you might orphan too?

Sorry, but I think to press on after feeling the sensation of sleep coming on is akin to driving knowing you are totally drunk. I cannot think of any circumstances that would justify it.
I'll see if I can find someone to get a lift from for a while although I've tried it before with little success. My job often requires me to be 'flexable' with my leaving time.

I'm not keen on having loads of Red bull etc, but I'll keep some aside in case of emergency.
Driving while sleepy - Mapmaker
I loathe coke with as much vengeance as I loathe the Government.

But I always have a can or two in the car, and find that when it reaches that stage the combination of sugar and caffeine is just what I need. I perversely also like the taste when in that state!
Driving while sleepy - Dipstick
I'm minded of one of those ducumentaries following the police about. It was shown years ago but it stuck with me to this day.

Motorway, and a chap had his windows open. Papers from his briefcase blew over the road; and he pulled into the hard shoulder and kept diving into the road to get them.

Calm Policeman:"That's incredibly stupid"
Angry Bloke:"I'll lose my job if I don't get them, don't you understand?"
Calm Policeman:"You can get always get another job. You can't get another life."

I'm not saying you should give up your job, OldPeculiar! I'm just saying sometimes one stops and weigh things up a bit is all, and it sounds like you've done that.
Driving while sleepy - billy25
i used to work night shifts at a company 19 miles from home,some shifts seemed like they would never end, especially about 3-4 in the morning. some times how i got home i honestly don't know, but in 18 yrs i was lucky enough to get home safetly without either falling asleep at the wheel,or running off the road. there were times however, when i suddenly seemed to come off auto-pilot and think how did i get here! i don't remember driving past x+y, or coming through z,...scary really.

billy.
I think one of the problems Cliff is that even if you don't actually fall asleep your driving performance is still impared through tiredness. If I was literally nodding off then I agree with you and wouldn't drive but that's not generally the case. It's much harder to quantify how the risks change when your simply very tired and not concentrating too well.

I do try and maintain a proper 'work life balance' and consider what other options there are but you can't always get what you want.

I think one of my most tired drives was when I was in Chicago last summer. I'd been at work for 36 hours without any sleep and had to drive the hire car to the airport so I could catch a flight. I managed okay and wasn't to sleepy on the drive but I was fast asleep before the plane had left the tarmc.
Driving while sleepy - AdrianM
I totally sympathise OldPeculiar. I am in the same situation - new baby born in Dec and a 90 mile commute to work.

The first few weeks after Xmas I found very difficult. I seem to have got round the tiredness (touch wood) by having a flask of coffee in the car - it's a trendy Bodum thingy that works like a 1 mug cafettiere with a drinking spout. Finally found a use for those cup holders! (I drink from it whilst waiting in queues or when there is no other traffic in close proximity - no lectures please!). Also I have eased up on my speed - now cruise at 70-80 instead of 90ish. This seems to ease some of the stress from driving so I get home feeling less tired, and has the added benefit of improving fuel consumption from 47 to 52mpg.
If you can find a comedy show on the radio (6.30pm R4) that usually does the trick for me too.

These are my ways of dealing with it - I hope you can find your own.

Driving while sleepy - hillman
To my shame, over the years I have nodded off at least three times whilst driving, with the resultant swerve waking me up (very alert indeed!) I was young and stupid, I still am stupid but not as young. Now, whatever the circumstances, sleepy or not, I never drive for more than one hour. If on the motorway I stop at every second service station, park as far away from the buildings as possible and walk to them by the longest route. I have a black coffee. Plays havoc with my bladder, but I keep awake.
Driving while sleepy - andymc {P}
I also find listening to radio keeps me more alert than listening to my CDs, with which I am familiar. I usually listen to my local BBC station or Radio 4 on the way home so I can catch the news without the irritation of advertising. Something with conversation, debate, even a radio play or book of the week - they're all unknown, so likely to engage the brain a bit more. The Just A Minute show is a lifesaver!
I posted on here about a year ago about my experience of falling asleep at the wheel. I was tired at the time due to overwork and too little sleep the previous night, but oddly did not feel particularly sleepy at the time it happened - probably the fact that I'd been in a cold office all day and had the heat in the car up full blast had something to do with it. On the basis of distance travelled, it was about 10 seconds later that my wife rang me (for which I am eternally grateful), waking me into a state of utter shock at the realisation of what happened. It was an extremely lucky escape, and has made me much more aware of my fatigue levels. A few times since, I have decided to pull over to close my eyes - even if I didn't sleep, being able to stop concentrating and let go for a few minutes does make a difference. It's well worth the extra journey time - think of it as an investment in your future.
andymc
Driving while sleepy - Kevin
OldPeculiar,

first of all congratulations to you and your wife and a pre-emptive welcome to LittlePeculiar.

I don't have kids so I can't advise you on that score. I do have plenty of experience of early mornings and late nights though.

The best advice I can give you is to get up in plenty of time even if you're absolutely knackered. Don't be in a rush to get out of the house.

Have a good breakfast.

Set off in plenty of time so that you're not stressed by traffic holdups.

Take a few short naps during the day when things are quiet. A half-hour snooze in your car at lunchtime can work wonders.

Get a few minutes of fresh air before setting off home.

Chill out, Mrs Peculiar's probably had a hard day too!

Best wishes, Kevin...
Driving while sleepy - pdc {P}
The matrix signs on the M6, M62, M56 were all displaying the message "Don't Drive Tired" this weekend.

Driving while sleepy - top turkey
Frist of all - congratulations!

I am going through the the same situation as you - we have a 9 month old baby and I do 84 miles per day from Brum to Nottingham. It is so hard doing the return trip, especially on the night time. I have found the following useful:

1. Strong cup of coffee 30 mins before leaving work.
2. Putting the air con on
3. Do a verbal commentary to your driving when you feel particularly sleepy

It is really tough, but you soon get used to it.

Keep us updated on the news.

TT
Driving while sleepy - Kuang
The commentary idea is a great one - I gave a commentary throughout my driving test on the advice of my instructor (who'd just taken some advanced test or another where that forms part of the assessment - might have been a police-type thing) and found that it sharpened my perception up no end.

I find that opening a window slightly rather than using aircon has a stronger effect, as you get an increased level of external noise which keeps that particular sense alert.

Red Bull is a weird one though - I find that even one can makes me incredibly jumpy so I might appear to be alert but in reality I'm just wired to the eyeballs and not really able to focus on anything much. I do drink a lot of coffee though with no ill effects, so I'm wondering if it's the taurine content that's responsible? ISTR that was behind the french ban. If you ever get the chance to try some Mountain Dew from the states, do so - that's a real eye opener in terms of caffeine! Make sure it's not the canadian manufactured one though, which I'm told is actually caffeine free :)

Just out of interest, don't the RAC brand a stumilant drink of their own? Anyone know if that differs significantly from the mainstream ones?
Driving while sleepy - BB
TT,

We will have to swop houses as I do the journey the other way, Nottingham to Brum!

Driving while sleepy - Mark (RLBS)
It depends what you mean by tired.

There are certainly times when I drive home tired after a day\'s work; but as for driving home when I\'m dog-tired and can\'t keep my eyes open - its just not worth it.

Difficult to miss as evening with a young child, but not as difficult as potentially missing all of them.

But after three months I had got used to the new sleeping pattern, it just means going to be earlier and coping with being woken up.
Driving while sleepy - Hawesy1982
A few months ago i did a rota of shift work at my workplace - 2 12hour days followed by 2 12hour nights. Unfortunately my inexperience in how to adjust my sleep pattern for night shifts made for a nasty drive home from the first night shift. I had been awake 24 hours, and had just finished 12 hours of lifting Maltesers powder from pallets into mixing drums - all 14 tonnes of it.

Even though it was light (being 7am in September), and there was other traffic about, the 25 miles home wasn't nice at all. It only took 35 minutes, but i was scarily aware that whilst i could keep my car on the road, if anything untoward were to have happened i wouldn't have had a hope in hell of taking evasive action. Luckily thats the only rota of shift work i've had to do
With a bit of luck I should be able to adjust okay I guess that having the baby as the nights are getting shorter may help. It does seem to be easier driving in the light.

A few weeks ago the Health and Safety group sent round an email giving tips on driving safely. Maybe I should send one back suggesting that they get some beds in the office ;)
Driving while sleepy - SpamCan61 {P}
Not all babies screw up your sleep pattern forever anyway : my eldest daughter (now 11) and son (8 monmths) both slept through pretty much every night from 8 weeks old :-)) . However my youngest daughter ( now 9 ) woke up every night for 4 years :-/.

Bless 'em ..etc.

My 65 mile commute is just about OK, helps to have a car with aircon so you can keep the internal temperature uncomfortably cold.
Driving while sleepy - Stonk
Driving while sleepy is a major killer. The govenment should send out warnings like this:

www.yonkis.net/videos/cinturons.wmv

That will make people appreciate the importance.
This is originally from drivecam.com who supply a sort of 'black box' in your car.
Driving while sleepy - Stonk
*government

Oh, and wear your seatbelt too!