What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai i20 - Messy key situation - UserError 2

Hello,

I'd be grateful for a bit of advice regarding keys:

We recently bought a 2014 Hyundai i20. The PO had obviously had a problem with the key and the ignition lock was changed but that was all, so it has a (new) key for the ignition and the original for remote and physical locking/unlocking. I've never been involved with key problems before and it's a new area for me.

I'd like to get this rationalised but looking for a cost effective way that doesn't involve haemorrhaging money to a Hyundai dealer...

There are videos on retumbling ignition locks - could I (or a locksmith) not just retumble the new lock to the old key?

What would have been the correct way to have done this - would Hyundai have to have been involved, or can car locksmiths do it?

And secondly, if we can get the original key reinstated, can a car locksmith reprogramme/clone the original to the new key, or is that dealer only? And presumably getting a new blade cut to the original locks isn't that much of a hurdle?

Many thanks.

Edited by UserError 2 on 03/10/2024 at 10:06

Hyundai i20 - Messy key situation - elekie&a/c doctor
As a 10 year old car , I can’t see there being a cost effective solution to this . How many locks on the vehicle? Is there just one on the door ?
Hyundai i20 - Messy key situation - galileo
As a 10 year old car , I can’t see there being a cost effective solution to this . How many locks on the vehicle? Is there just one on the door ?

A local locksmith put a new case on a damaged spare key and cut a new spare blade for £30 as well.

Thanks, that sounds encouraging. I'll ask around on local groups.

10 years is "nearly new" to me. Feels as if this might not be the right forum...

Bit puzzled about your question "how many locks" - both front doors, tailgate and ignition. Normal?

Edited by UserError 2 on 06/10/2024 at 22:55

Hyundai i20 - Messy key situation - Big John

10 years is "nearly new" to me. Feels as if this might not be the right forum...

Bit puzzled about your question "how many locks" - both front doors, tailgate and ignition. Normal?

Nope. Certainly you rarely get a physical key lock on the front passenger door or even the boot these days on many cars and many you have to lever off a plastic cover to gain access to the drivers door physical door lock only ever needed if keyfob has failed.

Edited by Big John on 06/10/2024 at 23:52

Hyundai i20 - Messy key situation - Orb>>.

Don't worry about it.

If you want to get it fixed as you want it fixed, then it is your money.

Be careful though. I did once try to change the little tabs in a lock and took a few tries. Another time failed.

Good luck.