What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi RS5 - Where do I stand - Dspdsp11
Hi guys,

I’m just looking for some advice on where I stand.

I purchased a car from an Audi main dealer last August which was an “audi approved used” I’ve now come to sell the car to a company and we agreed a price but now they’ve backed out of it because of this message they sent me.

“During post sale checks The Company received data suggesting your vehicle has travelled more miles than the current odometer reading. To validate this data we arranged for your vehicle’s Engine Control Unit (ECU) to be read. The results of the ECU reading identified that your vehicle’s mileage has been tampered with”

Am I within my right to go back to Audi with this imformation?
Audi RS5 - Where do I stand - Adampr

You can certainly go back to them and ask for their observations. They may well tell you that the mileage was not warranted under their standard terms and conditions.

I suppose you've looked into it already, but can your buyer really rely on 'post-sale checks'? They had all the opportunity to check it pre-sale and you are just a private individual. Isn't it their car now?

Audi RS5 - Where do I stand - SLO76
Contact the dealer first, and if they’re not willing to help then involve Audi UK customer services. Next step if neither are particularly proactive is to put a nasty Trustpilot review up. This usually triggers a response. No main dealer wants tarred with a reputation for selling clocked cars.

If the cars mileage was altered (much more common than anyone realised today) and they sold it as correct (find the invoice!) then they are liable and should either buy the car back for what it would have been worth if the mileage was correct or compensate you, the latter is difficult to calculate however as no dealer will want a premium car like that with a mileage discrepancy so it’s next to worthless.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/05/2024 at 23:50

Audi RS5 - Where do I stand - daveyjp

I'd want more evidence than is provided, including some actual figures to ensure the person reading the ECU understands the reading will be in km, but odometer is in miles.

Edited by daveyjp on 02/06/2024 at 08:30

Audi RS5 - Where do I stand - mickyh7

What are the 2 mileages?

Divide the ECU number by 1.6 and see what you get.

If you get the same number, the dealer is just thick!

My money is on daveygp's thinking!

Audi RS5 - Where do I stand - pd

I'd also want a check that what the buying dealer is saying isn't a con to try and knock the price.

Audi RS5 - Where do I stand - Bromptonaut

As above, what are the numbers involved.