polo vs ka - andy n
hi all, time to replace the "other halfs" punto she,s very keen on a ford ka, however im trying to convince her a vw polos a far better long term buy, good solid tuetonic engineering and all that, anyone care to back me up! cheers (ps have about for and half grand to spend)
polo vs ka - DavidHM
£5k gets you a new Ka from www.regvardy.com

£4500 will get you a two to three year old poverty spec Polo, maybe a three to four year old with good equipment. As far as good solid Teutonic engineering is concerned - well a nice three year warranty, a simple, proven design and depreciation that will probably actually be lower than that on a used Polo have to count for something.

Okay, it's not the plushest or poshest small car but if your wife likes the Ka, I don't see any real advantage in getting a Polo. (And if you are keen on the Teutonic engineering, the Polo is made in Spain, just like the cheaper Seat Ibiza which has ot be worth a look).
polo vs ka - No Do$h
Of course there is the small matter of the Ka having a bag of nails where the engine should be and the teensy-weensy matter of corrosion (see car-by-car breakdown).

If you like the VW image, how about looking at a nearly new Arosa or Lupo? Should be able to get a resonable Arosa for the money and it's closer to the Ka in size than the Polo
polo vs ka - arnold2
Lupo 1.4 is miles more fun than Ka .... and lasts longer. Bet the residuals on the Ka are worse, too... Should be able to get a Lupo 1.4 for that money fairly new...
polo vs ka - PoloGirl
Drive a Ka into the side of a lorry.... then drive a Polo into the side of the same lorry, and see which one you can walk away from.

Decision made I think!

polo vs ka - Dynamic Dave
Drive a Ka into the side of a lorry.... then drive
a Polo into the side of the same lorry, and see
which one you can walk away from.

Hang on a minute, didn't you say the lorry drove into you ;o)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=15...5

polo vs ka - PoloGirl
Pedant ;-)

Whichever way around you do it... you'll get out with your legs still attached in the Polo.

polo vs ka - Altea Ego
Sorry? does that mean you left your legs attached in the Polo?
polo vs ka - PoloGirl
Ooh I give up!

polo vs ka - Dalglish
(And if you are keen on
the Teutonic engineering, the Polo is made in Spain,

solid german engineering in design offices in germany, economic yet top quality manufacturing in spain.
polo vs ka - commerdriver
Bit of advice not necessarily motoring if she wants a Ka get a Ka if it goes wrong or has any problems it will be "just one of those things". If you persuade her onto a polo or whatever and it goes wrong it will be " a new Ka wouldn't have had that problem"
Save yourself the hassle
polo vs ka - Hawesy1982
It's another case of the VW = Solid, reliable, will last forever syndrome here, i think

I may be proved wrong, in fact i suspect someone will try to very soon after i post this, but as a manufacturer i'm fairly sure Ford are almost always adjudged to be more reliable than VW nowadays, and plenty cheaper to boot. Personally i wouldn't even consider a VW when Seat and Skoda have almost identical cars out for a lot less money that personally i think look better too - but then thats just my opinion :-P

polo vs ka - PoloGirl
Hawesy - it's not a syndrome, in this case it's true that a VW/Seat/Skoda just IS more solid than a Ka.

NCAP Test results: (Sorry I don't know how to shorten the link)

www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/ncap/ncap_car_results.j...1

www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/ncap/ncap_car_results.j...1

Small Fords are a lot more solid these days (they look like VWs) but the Ka is an old model, and I can't see how those massive plastic bumpers could be seen as anything more than flimsy.

Totally agree with the thoughts that Fords are easier to maintain though, and that if the woman in question wants a Ka then that's what she should have, because anything else will just be "that car you made me have". Women! ;-)

polo vs ka - Baskerville
The Ka is also a smaller car than the Polo of course. Actually in your case PoloGirl you'd have been better off in a 1996 Fiesta than a 1996 Polo. According to NCAP that is. The Ka actually compares favourably with cars in the same class, though it's poor for pedestrian impacts.
polo vs ka - carroll
If any of you out there were actually keen on driving you would not be recommending a Polo over the Ka. The Ka has to be one of the best drivers cars in its class. However a 3 year old Polo well lets not go there!!!
polo vs ka - king arthur
If any of you out there were actually keen on driving
you would not be recommending a Polo over the Ka. The
Ka has to be one of the best drivers cars in
its class.

The one I drove last week wasn't. Couldn't tell which way the front wheels were pointing. Or even if there were any front wheels, aside from the fact that it went forwards when I pressed the right pedal, so there must have been some.
polo vs ka - Martin Wall
What about a Yaris - a MUCH better car than a Ka or old style Polo and likely to be a lot more reliable...
polo vs ka - carl_a
Agree with Martin on this one, IMHO the Polo and especially the KA are over rated.
Why do lots of KA's sound like they have Diesel engines, petrol engines didn't sound like that in the 50/60's when this engine was designed did they ?
polo vs ka - helicopter
I agree the Yaris has got to be worth a look.

True Story:-

Wifes sister wanted a Yaris like my wife's having had a Starlet but tries others like Jazz , A2 etc at husbands insistence.

She still wanted the Yaris but he decided he wanted the A2 and put the deposit down without telling her.

That was over a year ago and every time we see them she's still bending his ear about it and he deserves it.

Why can't men believe that women know what they want? - see my thread on poor salesmen.
polo vs ka - No Do$h
Why can't men believe that women know what they want? -
see my thread on poor salesmen.

Are you in cahoots with my first wife?

Have to agree with you. When we were looking at cars for Mrs ND mkII we started the search by looking at nearly new Yaris/Jazz/Ibiza. At no stage did I see a smile on Mrs ND's face, yet she insisted that as I "knew" cars I should be guiding her. Despite being asked, at no stage was a preference for any type of car expressed.

After a week of this I asked her again to tell me what she really fancied. Pug 406 or similar was the reply. Now we already have one largish car, but fair play, if that's what she wants, thinks I. Find a few nice(ish) ones locally, then my brother rings to say he's getting a Leon Cupra R and did I know how much his 99 Laguna RN was worth.

£1600 changes hands, smile spreads on Mrs ND's face and bank account stays much healthier, thank you.

It's just getting 'em to actually tell you what they want that's the secret. Except Mrs ND mkI. She would never stop telling me.......
polo vs ka - helicopter
No Dosh - 'If its illogical it must be Citroen' should read if its irrational it must be a female......

Ducks , runs very fast indeed and hides cowering in cupboard....

Come on girls - Its a joke!