What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford fiesta - Which of these insurers would you choose? - OceanMan

Hey everyone, hope you're staying warm!

I forgot my insurance was expiring today so I just had to go for the cheapest quote without too much research yesterday. I think I can cancel it within two weeks and opt for something else. Does anyone have any experience with these insurers, good or bad? I'm working 13 hours days this week so don't have all the time on earth to do my own research so I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks!

streamable.com/859epn

Ford fiesta - Which of these insurers would you choose? - Terry W

If you have a £20k+ car and hit something you need an insurance company that will respond quickly, provide hire car, repair properly etc.

If you have a £1k banger, the main reason for insurance is to pay out someone else - it is a legal requirement and how any third party claim is settled is not your problem.

For the former - pay a premium for more reliable quality. For the latter - cheap wins the day.

Ford fiesta - Which of these insurers would you choose? - Engineer Andy

I suppose it also depends upon whether the OP lives in an area with high numbers of claims outside their control, i.e. theft from or of vehicles, vandalism of them, lots of bad drivers or accident scams (cash for crashes) etc, and whether they have a good fault claims history or not.

Someone with a very low risk is far more able to go with a cheap quote because the likelihood of a claim, and especially a fault claim, is incredibly low. Plus, I suppose, it what they can afford - taking into account the risk and effect of having pay out (and the amount) an excess for a fault claim.

Ford fiesta - Which of these insurers would you choose? - Steveieb

What excellent advice Terry.

Both my cars are worth less than £5k combined so I will be looking for the lowest price.

Which comparison website or insurer would you choose ?

Ford fiesta - Which of these insurers would you choose? - Engineer Andy

I prefer using Confused.com, as - at least in the past - they didn't automatically pass on my details for marketing purposes, and you can opt out of getting a cal/email from the cheapest quote(s). It may be that law changes have made all comparison websites do this sort of thing as well.

Also in the past, people like Martin Lewis said that you needed to use several of the comparison websites to ensure (pardon the pun) the largest selection of insurers are covered in the search, plus specific new customer deals they might have. Plus doing a few separate searches for the likes of Direct Line, etc, who refuse to participate in them.

Seems that LV= gets good reviews these days, and are reasonably competitive on price, especially for middle aged and older drivers. My 80yo dad uses them after changing from his old 'staff' policy from Axa (he'd previously worked for Guardian for 30+ years before it was bought by Axa), as it was both cheaper and seemingly gave better customer service.

Can't say myself as I've never used them, though they often come with competitive quotes (top 5-10 cheapest) for me when getting quotes in my late 40s. I use QuoteMeHappy, as they are cheap and give (for me) the cover level I want, but then, my car isn't worth much (likely <£2k).

Ford fiesta - Which of these insurers would you choose? - HGV ~ P Valentine

I have been with Hastings last couple of years, as they proved the cheapest on the comparison site, but I have to say when I got rear ended they where pretty quick in getting me a car, even though it took ages to sort the claim out, but to be fair to them it was 4 cars, last 2 vehicles did not stop.

Ford fiesta - Which of these insurers would you choose? - Ethan Edwards

Yes you really only find out how good an insurer is when it's too late and you are using their claims team. Defaqto ( spelling?) do rate insurers but what's that really worth? Don't know.

Ford fiesta - Which of these insurers would you choose? - Steveieb

NFU always get the top spot in reviews but are quite expensive.

LV do well too but Flow are underwritten by LV and are a bit cheaper !