What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - DavidGlos
Growing up in the late 70s/early 80s, I recall both of my parents petrol cars needing a replacement exhaust, or at least the back box on a fairly regular basis.

I’ve owned cars for 30 odd years now and in that time, I’ve replaced one exhaust pipe on a Japanese import Nissan Figaro that we’ve had for 18 years. Have had both petrol and diesel cars (pre DPF, with a nice lining of soot in the exhaust and with DPFs) and in perhaps 350,000 miles over that 30 odd years, aside from one exhaust for the Figaro, I’ve never replaced any exhaust components, even on cars that I’ve run for longer than 10 years.

Are exhausts just made from more durable metal now, or do more stringent emissions regulations and the phasing out of leaded petrol mean that the gases passing through the exhaust are less corrosive?
Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - RT
Are exhausts just made from more durable metal now, or do more stringent emissions regulations and the phasing out of leaded petrol mean that the gases passing through the exhaust are less corrosive?

Both

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - Xileno

I've often wondered this as well, when I ran pre-cat VWs the back box would need replacing every three or fours years. The old Focus is still on its original exhaust (2007) although about fours years ago the metal support rusted through but the local garage I use for servicing welded it for a tenner.

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - John F

..... The old Focus is still on its original exhaust (2007) although about fours years ago the metal support rusted through but the local garage I use for servicing welded it for a tenner.

Probably the same item my indy welded for the same price on our Focus at 16yrs old! No further problem till sc***ped at 21yrs old.

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - badbusdriver

Many years ago, a vintage MG owning instructor at technical college explained how he rust proofed a replacement exhaust for it.

Plugged one end, filled it with (used I think) engine oil and left it for a couple of hours. Drained the oil, fitted the exhaust to the car and gave it a good blast on a quiet road (lots of smoke till the oil had fully dried on). No idea how effective it would be, but he was certainly convinced by it!.

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - edlithgow

Many years ago, a vintage MG owning instructor at technical college explained how he rust proofed a replacement exhaust for it.

Plugged one end, filled it with (used I think) engine oil and left it for a couple of hours. Drained the oil, fitted the exhaust to the car and gave it a good blast on a quiet road (lots of smoke till the oil had fully dried on). No idea how effective it would be, but he was certainly convinced by it!.

Hmm...I suppose the areas it burns off off quickly are not the areas that will suffer worst from condensation -induced corrosion, and *providing it isn;t VERY used, the base in the engine oil will have an antacid effect., so it might work, though these days a vintage MG exhaust replacement would probably be stainless steel.

Still think my aluminium / cement treatment is likely to be better, though I suppose one could do both, I wonder how vegetable oil, which will set, (or a mixture) would compare.

I would be a bit concerned about the possible effect of the oil on the HC reading in the MOT emission test, though.

Of course I wouldn't risk either on a cat-equipped system, but I've never had one of them

Edited by edlithgow on 05/10/2023 at 08:53

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - craig-pd130

70s Japanese 4-stroke bikes used to rot their OE exhausts from the inside out because of acidic condensates in the exhaust gas.

So some fastidious owners preserved their OE systems by plugging one end, pouring in about half a pint of smooth Hammerite, plugging the other end and then shaking/tipping the pipes so the paint covered all the internal surfaces. The pipe would then be hung up overnight with one end open to drain the excess paint and dry off.

70s Japanese 4-stroke bikes used to rot their OE exhausts from the inside out because of acidic condensates in the exhaust gas.

So some fastidious owners preserved their OE systems by plugging one end, pouring in about half a pint of smooth Hammerite, plugging the other end and then shaking/tipping the pipes so the paint covered all the internal surfaces. The pipe would then be hung up overnight with one end open to drain the excess paint and dry off.

I believe they make special high temperature paint for (the outside of) engines and exhausts, which might be a better choice for this application.

Dunno if you can get it in Taiwan, but if I ever get my broken motorcycle going I might look into it.

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - bathtub tom

if I ever get my broken motorcycle going I might look into it.

You'll have plenty of time now the Skywing's gone. I look forward to the saga.

if I ever get my broken motorcycle going I might look into it.

You'll have plenty of time now the Skywing's gone. I look forward to the saga.

But not plenty of motivation.

Motorcycles are a lot less useful, but a lot more scary, and its got (broken?) electronic bits I dont understand.

Plus I can borrow one of the GF's scooters anytime.

Edited by edlithgow on 06/10/2023 at 10:39

You have more than one GF, or does the GF have more than one scooter?

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - Xileno

The latter, as the apostrophe is before the s

I think, although it's a long time since I did that sort of thing at school.

The latter, as the apostrophe is before the s

I think, although it's a long time since I did that sort of thing at school.

I never said I was doing that sort of thing at school.

You have more than one GF, or does the GF have more than one scooter?

There's no need to decide

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - mcb100
I wonder if engine warm up times also play a part?
Whereas cylinder blocks and heads used to be huge chunks of iron and aluminium, modern design means they’re much more sculpted with less material used. So should warm up more quickly, burning off condensation lurking inside the exhaust.
Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - madf

Our 2003 Yaris D4D is on its original exhaust pipes and catalyst.

Ditto our 2012 Honda Jazz.

(VHT paint and a wire brush every 3-4 years work.

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - Andrew-T
I wonder if engine warm up times also play a part?

What certainly does (or did) play a part is not using the car for short runs, so the exhaust gets full warmed through and is free of condensation when the engine is stopped.

Since getting our first diesel car (a 205 Dturbo) about 30 years ago I have never had to replace any exhaust part on any car, except a mild steel support behind the tailbox.

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - Big John

Hmm, interesting thread and it does seem a while since I had an exhaust fitted - tempting fate!! Our old 1984 polo owned from new needed many replacement exhaust boxes / pipes over the 19 years we had it, as did many an old cars owned beforehand. However since then:-

1999 Punto - car rusted quicker than the exhaust, didn't own for long.

2001 Octavia 1.4 petrol needed 1 exhaust / catalyst in 19 years of family ownership.

2003 Superb 1.9pd - owned from near new but still had its original exhaust when sc***ped(terminal chassis rust) last year by the owner I sold it to in 2015.

2006 Panda 1.2 - family owned from new and still on its original exhaust. Rear box was mentioned a few MOTs ago and it eventually shed an outer skin but it's still fine.

2014 Superb 1.4tsi owned from near new - original exhaust that still looks in great condition.

I wonder if it's because since catalytic converters have been fitted engine management systems are designed to "light" up the catalyst quickly - ie hotter?

Edited by Big John on 04/10/2023 at 23:03

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - Terry W

I think most if not all modern cars come with stainless steel exhausts. I don't remember the last time I replaced one - quite possibly 25 years ago having typically kept cars for 5-10 years.

My mild steel non cat exhaust was still fully intact when The Man got it recently, though it had lost the original surface treatment on the front half. Car was 1986. I had it about 15 years, and I dont remember any exhaust replacements listed in the partial translation of the dealer service record I got when I bought the car..

Of course no salting and high ambient temperatures here in Taiwan are probably a factor

I did get the downpipe replaced (with a used one) because it got clouted by a brick and had cracked, GF's mechanic uncle did the job, and screwed up the flange bolts (I let a Taiwanese mechanic touch my car so got what I deserved) and I had to bodge it fairly regularly until I finally got around to fixing it semi-permanently, a non-trivial job.

tw.forumosa.com/t/exhausting-all-options/193821

The regular bodging meant I could regularly apply my internal protective treatment. some beer can aluminium in the downpipe, which I fondly imagined would flame-spray the inside, and a teaspoon of Portland Cement to neutralise acids.

Latterly I wrapped the front half in aluminium aircon pipe cladding, with another layer of overlapping beercan on the straight section. In combination with a bit of an oil leak this seemed to have stopped the surface rusting

Looked like it would probably have lasted for a long time

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - Steveieb

The exhaust on my 03 Tdi A4 was in perfect condition at a mere 177 k but the same aged car on the Audi site had covered 550 k on the original exhaust certified by a date stamp on the back box.

What an amazing car the A4 was or any other VAG with that wonderful PD engine. How I miss it .

I think most if not all modern cars come with stainless steel exhausts.

Not my experience! Can you imagine the penny pinching manufacturers going to that extra expense?

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - Steveieb

Another question arising is how long does a dpf last before replacement when cleaning doesn’t work

I’ve just heard that a replacement DPF and small service was charged at £3500 at a VW Main dealer

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - RT

Another question arising is how long does a dpf last before replacement when cleaning doesn’t work

I’ve just heard that a replacement DPF and small service was charged at £3500 at a VW Main dealer

I can get a new DPF for under £400 plus fitting for my Touareg 3.0 TDi, all the 4-cylinder models will be cheaper - so something is amiss with that £3500.

Any - How long does an exhaust pipe last? - John F
I’ve never replaced any exhaust components, even on cars that I’ve run for longer than 10 years. Are exhausts just made from more durable metal now...?

Yes. Cars are far more durable than they used to be, especially exhaust pipes. The average age of my two cars' exhausts is 24yrs. After several rotted mild steel tail-pipes I replaced my 1980 TR7's system with a stainless steel kit from Rimmer Bros in 1992. My Audi's is nearly 18yrs old and shows no sign of serious deterioration. Our Focus went to the sc***py with its original exhaust, although one of the hangers broke away at 16yrs old and over 110,000 miles - £10 welding job.