What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Whatever happened to Ford? - John F

We're in the USA for our annual stay with a son. Always interesting to see the year on year evolution of traffic on the leafy bicycle and pedestrian friendly avenues of Irvine CA - main racial groups approx 44% asian, 44% white, 10% 'hispanic' - (apparently a debatable concept). It's a clean well groomed garden city built mainly in the 70s and 80s, a bit like Milton Keynes but with hardly any buses, wide roads, huge crossroads instead of roundabouts, and hardly a sc*** of litter to be seen, even near the schools! (lots of kids attend on bikes, some are electric).

100yrs ago Ford made around half the cars on American roads but I hardly see any here now. So at mid-day, on a ten minute walk along Paseo Westpark to the supermarket (a fairly busy suburban main road) I did a car count, noting Fords and Teslas. Total 74 cars including 4 Teslas.....and just one Ford - an old Focus with a loud exhaust! On the return journey; 81 cars, 5 Teslas.....and another Focus! Two small Fords in over 150 cars of other makes, mainly asian. Ole Henry must be spinning his bearings in his cemetery!

Whatever happened to Ford? - _

Consumers have moved away from the heritage american makes as the other makes from outside the usa are providing higher quality and sometimes cheaper vehicles.

Whatever happened to Ford? - gordonbennet

Maybe the area you are visiting isn't the sort of place where Ford Mustangs and pick ups are to be found which seem to be good sellers elsewhere, maybe multiple reasons for this, levels of well paid employment, available incomes after taxes, fuel costs/availability/pressures, other pressures ie ULEZ equivalent, political pressures, demographics, image, fashion, lifestyle etc.

Maybe the area you are visiting isn't the sort of place where Ford Mustangs and pick ups are to be found which seem to be good sellers elsewhere, maybe multiple reasons for this, ......

Certainly so. It's an affluent city of 300,000+ with an atypical socio-demographic. Very few pickups, pony cars, or Trump voters (the last is a guess.....;-) Typical aspirational vehicle is a Kia Telluride........

www.kia.com/sd/en/util/news/Kia-Telluride-wins-Tri...l

......IMHO possibly the ugliest SUV I have ever had the misfortune to clap eyes on.

Certainly so. It's an affluent city of 300,000+ with an atypical socio-demographic. Very few pickups, pony cars, or Trump voters (the last is a guess.....;-) Typical aspirational vehicle is a Kia Telluride........

www.kia.com/sd/en/util/news/Kia-Telluride-wins-Tri...l

......IMHO possibly the ugliest SUV I have ever had the misfortune to clap eyes on.

Hmm, i'll see your bet and raise the stakes with this 'beauty'

carlist.com/toyota-launches-radical-new-century-su.../

Not sure whether Bentley's or Rolls Royce's offerings on this theme are more crass than this or whether this is the new market leader..compare with the quietly handsome nay almost beautiful 2018 on Century saloon a car i really would love to own had i the disposable funds.

Whatever happened to Ford? - mcb100
A tiny market in comparison to the US, but they’ve still got the best selling car in the UK (YTD) with the Puma, the Fiesta hanging on in ninth.
Whatever happened to Ford? - craig-pd130

Ford's market share in cars isn't great, but the best-selling private vehicle in the US in 2022 was the Ford F-series range of trucks, with over 650,000 units sold.

That's over 140,000 more units sold compared to the closest rival, Chevrolet's Silverado truck range.

Whatever happened to Ford? - Falkirk Bairn

When I bought my first car in 1966 Ford had roughly 25% of the UK market

Ford sold 8.7% of the cars registered in the UK last month - Kia & Hyundai (same company) sold roughly 10%

VW sold just under 10%, Skoda 4.6%, Audi 7.1%, Seat 1.9% -

i.e. VAG just under 25% - where Ford were in 1966!

Whatever happened to Ford? - Ethan Edwards

I saw a report on Ford US the other day. They're trying to move towards a Tesla style direct sell method. Second dealers have been getting greedy with mark ups. Thirdly the Fiesta and Focus no longer available. The F150's starting now at 75k or thereabouts. Oddly it's not selling much in the current economy. Luckily Jim Farley? Still getting his 21 million bucks every year. So that's OK. Some quality issues and price increases across the board. Oh and unsold F150's etc stock is piling up at the dealers. They've also lost 3 billion last year? Think that's the number. I guess people are realising ' Other manufacturers are available '.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 15/09/2023 at 12:00

Whatever happened to Ford? - alan1302

Are you sure the F150 is not selling?

fordauthority.com/2023/04/ford-f-series-sales-numb.../

Whatever happened to Ford? - Ethan Edwards

I'm sure I watched the YouTube, that's all I guarantee.

youtu.be/aH1eoQz9g14?si=tUKKdE01rxX1IFnW

Oh and a few others that reinforced those points.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 15/09/2023 at 15:27

Whatever happened to Ford? - alan1302

Well, do you trust a YouTube video looking for people to watch and make money from or do you believe the sales figures...I'm going to go with the sales figures and let you have the YouTube.

Whatever happened to Ford? - Bolt

Well, do you trust a YouTube video looking for people to watch and make money from or do you believe the sales figures...I'm going to go with the sales figures and let you have the YouTube.

Im sure sales figures can be manipulated to say whatever they want, so I wouldnt believe all thats been shown, Ford said they were doing well one month then said figures were wrong

Whatever happened to Ford? - SLO76
Our visit to Florida last year revealed roads full of Japanese and Korean metal, the only real volume American vehicles I spotted were pickups. I totally get the American attitude to cars though, despite not actually liking any they design and build themselves. They want reliability and durability with a big dose of comfort. The Toyota Camry is a big seller over there and rightly so, sadly it flopped over here due to our general dislike of saloons and over-ambitious pricing. It’s a far better car than similarly priced pretend SUV’s like the Nissan Qashc***. It’s posher Lexus twin being the only alternative.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/09/2023 at 23:14

Whatever happened to Ford? - Sofa Spud

I remember on my first visit to France, as a teenager in the late 1960s, when about half the cars on the road were Citoren 2CVs. On another visit to France 20 years later, there were hardly any left.

Whatever happened to Ford? - Terry W

The 2 CV was a contemporary of both the Morris 1000 launched in 1948 and the Beetle effectively launched post war (unveiled 1938).

But the mid 1960s all were starting to show their age despite updates. 20 years on by the mid 1980s they were well behind the competition. They may now be sought after classics - in 1985 they were obsolete rust buckets and mostly out of production in Europe.

I had a Citroen Dyane - basically a rebodied 2CV. Excellent in some respects, abysmally slow, but the engineering had evolved by the mid 1970s to be fairly fool proof.

Back to Ford - currently the Puma is a top seller along with the Fiesta in 9th position but just discontinued. Ford are nowhere in EV sales - they have a lot of catching up to do. Whether the strength of their brand will win out or they slowly die is open to debate.

Whatever happened to Ford? - Xileno

Certainly got catching up to do. Maybe too late? The Chinese seem to have got substantially ahead:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66820791

The Chinese will romp ahead in battery car production and almost everything else industrially, they arn't foolish enough to strangle their own industries by denying them cheap plentiful coal fired power.

What happens in the US depends on whether Trump gets elected.

Whatever happened to Ford? - Terry W

Coal fired power is probably minor compared to other factors.

Pay costs are around 25% of the UK.

Supportive government which even if they don't directly subsidise car production no doubt make it easy to set up and operate - low rents, loans for equipment and tooling, planning hurdles removed, H&S more limited etc etc.

Most of Europe and the US are democracies - want a new factory with access roads, power, water, transport links etc etc. May take years from initial project to go live - planning, local objections, public enquiries, threatened species, environmental concerns etc etc.

I get the impression that in China as a largely "command" economy, if the project fits with the political plan any barriers are simply removed by decree.

I get the impression that in China as a largely "command" economy, if the project fits with the political plan any barriers are simply removed by decree.

Looks as though Ford are in bed with Changan (with the Chinese in control) building EVs in a vast city many times bigger than New York or London (Chongquing) which I doubt many in the 'west' will have heard of.