What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
xm reliability - greg
How reliable are Citroen XM estates? I've heard all sorts of horror stories - are any of them justified?
Re: xm reliability - Paul
Around 5 years ago the French Ambassoador used to drive around in one (might still do), His driver (also French) did not have a good word to say about it, as it spent most of the time in the garage.
Almost from le cheval's mouth, you could say!
Re: xm reliability - Marcus
These cars are horrendous, a friend had an XM saloon which had been his company car and he was given it when he retired. It has cost him an absolute fortune in repairs - in 3 years he has spent over £ 4000 just keeping it on the road.
Another chap had an XM TD estate who worked for the same company, but upon retiring he chose to swap it for a Peugeot 405. the estate was then used as the company runaround and eventually went to auction where it fetched £5000 - despite having 100 000 miles on the clock - so somebody wanted it.... you really have to be mad to consider buying one of these cars ! the handbrake is foot operated !!
Re: xm reliability - Hugh
A friend drove a 2.5 TD for three years and 100,000 miles - only unexpected problem was a rad. failure - otherwise a good car
Re: xm reliability - Darcy Kitchin
Had an XM 2.1TD hatch from 25K miles to 165K miles. Only problems were rain water in the boot which I never cured, and the suspension drop arms rattling; as Andrew says, only a few quid each and an easy fit. It was fast, comfortable and economical.
Re: xm reliability - Andrew Bairsto
I have run xms for years my present one 99 25td estate has covered 122000km and the only problem othwer than normal servicing was a broken air pipe which feeds the turbo and a brake valve sticking.My last petrol 2.1turbo
did 111000miles with no problems only the front suspension drop arms which are pennies to buy and easy to fit.I have heard more horrer stories about VWs than Citroens .By the way a Pug 405 upwords is only an xm without the hydraulic suspension.
Re: xm reliability - David Woollard
Greg,

The replies above sum it up really. Get a good one and you'll have fantastic value luxury motoring. If you're unlucky (and don't value the superb ride, self levelling etc above all else) you'll be very fed up after six months.

Regulars know I write for the Citroen Car Club ( www.citroencarclub.org.uk ). The monthly XM column is full of good technical tips and stories of challenges, if not out and out disasters.

If you are brave enough to try one a post '95 TD estate is the best, no early cars and no petrols!

David