What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Insight - Ravster
Is the Honda Insight the most economical car (in mpg terms) on the market?

comments appreciated

ravster
Honda Insight - andymc {P}
One of them. I think it's now pipped by the new (and more practical than the Insight) Toyota Prius, which comes with an 8-year warranty for the extra gubbins. For cheaper initial purchase price, some of the smaller diesel-engined cars will come in somewhere around the same mpg - Renault Clio, Nissan Micra, possibly the Citroen C3 and Ford Fiesta. Can't remember if the Toyota Yaris is in the 60+ mpg bracket or not.

I wish the makers of hybrids such as the Prius and the Insight would bring out a diesel-electric hybrid. Now running one of those on biodiesel would be as near to zero-impact motoring as you could get.
andymc
Honda Insight - T Lucas
I have imported a few Insights and Prius from Japan,the Insight uses less fuel than the Prius,and i think in the real world it is easy enough to achieve 80+mpg with the Insight.
I think primarily both cars were designed with California in mind and diesel is not popular for cars.
Both cars are very intresting and complicated and work very well,but not much effort from Honda UK/Toyota UK so never going to sell in big Nos in the UK.
Hybrids are going to be big business for the Japanese brands in the USA with the introduction of SUVs,MPVs and pick-ups.
As ever Honda and Toyota are streets ahead of the competition and are gaining invaluable experience in this area.
When you look at these cars and drive them,i just wonder which of the Euro manufacturers could ever get close to the technology,and make it work in the real world.
Honda Insight - Ravster
Cheers TLucas -I was quite surprised at the drive on the Insight - not too bad and agree that the technology in both cars is awesome. It looks like I'm going to ave to do a lot of long distances of my own bat as well as driving into central london so have worked out that this is quite an economical way of doing it.
Honda Insight - Ravster
Cheers for your help andymc.