What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - Twinks

Is there a website with a list of every torque convertor car available in UK ?

I am looking for a small/medium SUV sized car - with a TC box available via Motability - but Motability cannot provide such a list

The operative that I spoke to knew no difference between CVT and TC - Trying to convince me that they were the same - they are NOT

List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - Crickleymal

I think we had this discussion a few months ago. IIRC the answer was no. It was suggested that you compare the mpg of a manual car with the mpg of the automatic. If the automatic is worse then it's probably a TC, if it's the same or better then it's probably a automated manual.

List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - mcb100
I can’t think of a database that would give you that information.
I’m sure someone will be along shortly with suitable advice, but I wouldn’t expect some in Motability’s contact centre to understand the technicalities of automatic transmissions.
Could I ask why it has to be a torque converter transmission?
List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - skidpan

CVT used to be dreadful but the one we drove in a Toyota Corolla 2.0 was actually pretty good. Certainly no worse than most Torque converter boxes.

We had a Volvo XC40 on a 2 days test 2 years ago, they use a Torque Converter box and I have to say it was the best example of the breed I have ever tried. My only compliant was the number of gears, why do they need to fit 8, it only used that on a level motorway at the legal limit.

Some will say DCT boxes are unreliable but driven normally they are not an issue. But in my experience small engined versions are not pleasant whilst bigger petrols seem fine. We have a DCT in a Skoda Superb iV and it is without doubt the best auto I have had the pleasure to drive.

But if its a motability car reliability is not an issue, it will be under warranty.

List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - badbusdriver

No such a thing as a list of all t/c auto equipped for the principle reason that for the majority of folk, they just don't care. For them, and the folk at Motability for that matter, an automatic car is one with two pedals whereas a manual car has three, end of!.

The list of cars of small-medium SUV's with a t/c auto is going to be very small as you will be excluding any Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda, Hyundai, Kia, Suzuki, Renault, Dacia just to get started!. Off the top of my head, you will be looking at Citroen, DS, Peugeot and Vauxhall, maybe a couple of others with t/c, but not many.

Edited by badbusdriver on 14/02/2023 at 16:45

List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - Adampr

Mazda?

The CX5 is on the current list, but it depends if the OP can, or is willing to stump up a hefty advance payment. Based on current prices (they change quarterly), this would range from £2-3.5k.

The OP could currently get into a Vauxhall Mokka for £300, a Peugeot 2008 for £800, or a Citroen C3 Aircross (or C4) for £1100.

But ignoring the t/c only mantra, they could get into a Skoda Kamiq for no advance payment or a Seat Arona for £99.

List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - Metropolis.
It gets even better with American Hondas. Some of those have a dual clutch mated to a torque converter! Some CVTs (Toyota?) have a number of lower gears as torque converter planetary before moving to the CVT. I think I have that right, perhaps someone can correct me if not.
It gets even better with American Hondas. Some of those have a dual clutch mated to a torque converter! Some CVTs (Toyota?) have a number of lower gears as torque converter planetary before moving to the CVT. I think I have that right, perhaps someone can correct me if not.

I did discover recently that the hybrid version of the previous Honda Jazz (not sold in the UK) has a DCT.

Some CVTs (Toyota?) have a number of lower gears as torque converter planetary before moving to the CVT. I think I have that right, perhaps someone can correct me if not.

I believe such a system applies to some Toyotas but not to the hybrids sold in the UK. Its for larger petrol only versions sold in the States.

It certainly did not apply to the Corolla 2.0 Hybrid I drove a couple of years ago.

List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - Cris_on_the_gas

Why bother. Just chose a car you like and its nice to drive. As its a Motability car its less than 3 years old and fully warrantied so if the gearbox fails it gets repaired or replaced.

List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - Twinks

Its not down to reliability - I am used to Suzuki 6 speed TC box - which in the Swift 1.0 is superb - smooth, economic (55mpg), quiet and reliable but Suzuki are no longer using the TC box ..

They now use a ropey / cheaper to produce - DCT type box

Edited by Twinks on 15/02/2023 at 13:52

They now use a ropey / cheaper to produce - DCT type box

No they don't, it's worse than that, they use an AGS.

DCT = dual clutch automated manual, AGS = single clutch automated manual

A DCT should, in theory, mean near instant gear changes. Those in an AGS equipped car are (ahem) a little slower!.

We have an Ignis with an AGS and while OK in some situations, it is hopeless, and borderline hazardous in others. I certainly wouldn't trust using 'D' for an overtake, because I don't have enough faith that the gearbox would do what I want when I want it. You can take manual control of course, that is definitely the way to go for overtaking and pushing on over a twisty road, which can actually be quite fun, but the gear changes are always slow.

By contrast, the CVT in the Jazz was absolutely superb. Not saying the car as a whole was perfect, but the CVT was more 'in tune' with the engine it was hooked up to than anything else I've driven. Being a 'stepped' CVT meant it mimicked having gears, which could be changed manually using the paddles behind the steering wheel. But TBH, I never bothered with that unless icy conditions because just left in drive, the CVT did pretty much exactly what I wanted, when I wanted it!.

So while I would suggest avoiding something with an AGS, I wouldn't rule anything else out without a decent test drive.

List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - daveyK_UK
The 1.2 puretech engine found in Peugeots, Citroens and Vauxhalls is linked to a torque converter box.

Hyundai and Kia used to do torque converters but they changed over a few years ago.

I think some of the more modern Fords use a torque converter. If buying a Ford make sure it’s a torque converter and not a power shift which is a piece of junk.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 19/02/2023 at 18:15

List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - Engineer Andy
The 1.2 puretech engine found in Peugeots, Citroens and Vauxhalls is linked to a torque converter box. Hyundai and Kia used to do torque converters but they changed over a few years ago. I think some of the more modern Fords use a torque converter. If buying a Ford make sure it’s a torque converter and not a power shift which is a piece of junk.

Ford and Volvo (when they were still 'together') has a period when they used both torque converter and dual clutch boxes, and on cars in the same range. Even many motoring journos didn't know which had them and which didn't, the best example being the Volvo V40.

Oddly enough, Mazda, whilst 'tied' to that group, never strayed from using TC auto boxes. They still only use them today for their ICE autos. It would be interesting to know what they use in their Toyota Yaris-clone Mazda2 hybrid (a completely different car to the standard Mazda2) and the 'new' (ish) MX-30 hybrid with the rotary engine.

Oddly enough, Mazda, whilst 'tied' to that group, never strayed from using TC auto boxes. They still only use them today for their ICE autos. It would be interesting to know what they use in their Toyota Yaris-clone Mazda2 hybrid (a completely different car to the standard Mazda2) and the 'new' (ish) MX-30 hybrid with the rotary engine.

The Mazda 2 (Yaris clone) will have a CVT just like the Yaris. Just imagine the cost re-engineering it to use a different box which would probably be worse.

God only knows what they will use in the rotary engined car but if its a range extender as previously discussed it may not need one since the engine will not be coupled to the wheels.

List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - groaver

The Mazda 2 (Yaris clone) will have a CVT just like the Yaris. Just imagine the cost re-engineering it to use a different box which would probably be worse.

It cost them the price of a few badges to "re-engineer" that car..

It cost them the price of a few badges to "re-engineer" that car..

Indeed, and all they did was change the badges. Just like turning the Corolla into the Swace.

But changing badges is not re-engineering the car.

List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - groaver

But changing badges is not re-engineering the car.

That's the reason for my quotation marks.

Edited by groaver on 20/02/2023 at 18:07

List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - Engineer Andy

God only knows what they will use in the rotary engined car but if its a range extender as previously discussed it may not need one since the engine will not be coupled to the wheels.

True, true. I wasn't sure whther they (for the 2) would have used the 'mild hybrid' engine option used in other (admitedly bigger) Mazdas at the moment (maybe a new variant of their 1.5 petrol), given that Mazda shared the bodyshell and underpinnings for the current MX-5 and FIAT 124 Spider but each had their own make's engine (2L N/A petrol and 1.4T petrol respectively).

Mazda often have a 'habit' of 'going their own way' even on shared platforms, rather like Saab did when under the GM umbrella when they expensively kept tweaking Vauxhall underpinnings.

Personally I don't see the point in two makes selling essentially the same car with a different badge. At least VAG bother to give their sub-brand cars a reasonable amount of differences and 'unique' features/characteristics to appeal to different buyers. This looks silly like when they 'made' the Fiesta-cloned 121 in the late 90s.

I suspect sales of this will be similar in numbers, especially when Toyota presumably offer a 5 year warranty to Mazda's 3 years, at least in the UK.

Sorry to take it off topic somewhat.

List of ALL Torque Convertor cars - Lee Power
The 1.2 puretech engine found in Peugeots, Citroens and Vauxhalls is linked to a torque converter box.

There Aisin 6 & 8 speed torque convertor boxes.